• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sinclair pulling a Birmingham/Charleston in Las Vegas...and Tallahassee?

From TVIntheDesert on tvnewstalk.net:

It looks like Sinclair will be pulling a Birmingham/Charleston in Las Vegas this weekend:

From www.mylvtv.com:

If you receive News 3-KSNV, The CW Las Vegas-channel 33, MY LVTV-channel 21 or Estrella TV via antenna, you could lose access to your favorite shows on Saturday, November 1st! Technical circumstances will require viewers to rescan the channels on their digital receivers! Some remote controls have a button for "rescan" or "channel search". You may have to reset your channels through the menu of your digital receiver or television. Don’t miss your favorite shows! Rescan your channels after midnight on Saturday November 1st and continue receiving News 3-KSNV, The CW Las Vegas and MY LVTV.

And from effseesee:

The speculation is that KSNV will move its signal to a subchannel of KVMY and the channel 2 signal will be turned off.

The same thing could be happening in Tallahassee. From radioinsight.com:

I got a Ematic converter box and i notice WTWC here in tallahassee fl has a blank digital subchannel called WTWC-FX Channel 40-2 with DTV programming (whatever dtv is) Does anyone know why they would have a Blank digital subchannel with no american broadcast network on it?

Judging by the WTWC-FX callsign, do you think FOX is moving there from WTLH?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTLH:

On September 25, 2013, New Age Media announced that it would sell most of its stations to the Sinclair Broadcast Group. To comply with Federal Communications Commission ownership restrictions (Sinclair already owns WTWC-TV in Tallahassee), Cunningham Broadcasting will acquire the WTLH license, though Sinclair will operate the station (as well as WTLF, which will be acquired by Deerfield Media) through a shared services agreement.

It's been over a year and the deal still isn't done. With the FCC's crackdown on JSAs/SSAs, Sinclair may be trying to move WTLH and WTLF's programming to subchannels of WTWC. WTWC-DT1 (NBC) would stay at 1080i HD, DT2 (FOX) would go to 720p, and DT3 (CW) at crappy 480i SD.

With the repacking I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of this.

I only watch one station over-the-air these days and that's for a few minutes each week. It's not on the cable system though it used to be.

Sinclair could maybe try doing the same thing in Omaha with KPTM as the surviving station with stronger over the air signal out of the virtual duopoly in Omaha with Mitts operating KXVO (transmits digitally on RF Channel 38 mapping to 15) for Sinclair and Sinclair owning and operating KPTM (transmits digitally on RF Channel 43 mapping to 42) and in Sioux City with KMEG as the surviving station with stronger over the air signal out of the virtual duopoly in Sioux City with Waitt operating KMEG (transmits digitally on RF Channel 39 mapping to 14) for Sincliar and Sinclair owning and operating KPTH (transmits digitally on RF Channel 49 mapping to 44).

KPTM could still air KPTM FOX 42 programming in 720 HDTV on 42.1, airs KXVO CW 15 programming in 720 HDTV down from CW preference in broadcasting in 1080 HDTV on 42.2, move This TV programming with MY Network programming during the primetime hours being programmed in 480 SDTV on 42.3, and possibly attempt to try moving Estrella TV spanish language programming being programmed in 480 SDTV on 42.4.

KMEG could still air KMEG CBS 14 programming in 1080 HDTV on 14.1, airs KPTH FOX 44 programming in 720 HDTV on 14.2, move This TV programming with MY Network programming during the primetime hours being programmed in 480 SDTV.

Sinclair could sell KXVO and KPTH assets including licenses and non licenses to a minority broadcaster other than Armstrong Williams who is connected to Sinclair as David Smith's best friend.

Sinclair could maybe try doing the same thing in Omaha with KPTM as the surviving station with stronger over the air signal out of the virtual duopoly in Omaha with Mitts operating KXVO (transmits digitally on RF Channel 38 mapping to 15) for Sinclair and Sinclair owning and operating KPTM (transmits digitally on RF Channel 43 mapping to 42) and in Sioux City with KMEG as the surviving station with stronger over the air signal out of the virtual duopoly in Sioux City with Waitt operating KMEG (transmits digitally on RF Channel 39 mapping to 14) for Sincliar and Sinclair owning and operating KPTH (transmits digitally on RF Channel 49 mapping to 44).

KPTM could still air KPTM FOX 42 programming in 720 HDTV on 42.1, airs KXVO CW 15 programming in 720 HDTV down from CW preference in broadcasting in 1080 HDTV on 42.2, move This TV programming with MY Network programming during the primetime hours being programmed in 480 SDTV on 42.3, and possibly attempt to try moving Estrella TV spanish language programming being programmed in 480 SDTV on 42.4.

KMEG could still air KMEG CBS 14 programming in 1080 HDTV on 14.1, airs KPTH FOX 44 programming in 720 HDTV on 14.2, move This TV programming with MY Network programming during the primetime hours being programmed in 480 SDTV.

Sinclair could sell KXVO and KPTH assets including licenses and non licenses to a minority broadcaster other than Armstrong Williams who is connected to Sinclair as David Smith's best friend.

Oh boy.

KSNV must be happy; they finally get out of the foot-shooting engineering move that was throwing their digital signal on the noise-happy VHF 2, which probably did small damage to their news ratings OTA. Sell that thing off for spectrum and be happy to be rid of that albatross.

Las Vegas: Upon visiting their respective websites and accessing their programming schedules, NBC is now on channel 21 in Las Vegas, and My Network TV is on the subcarrier of KVCW/channel 33. The schedule on channel 3 is not active but the site is still up.

What about San Antonio? Sinclair has acquired WOAI/4 (NBC) from Newport Television (and before then Clear Channel) and form partners with Fox affiliate KABB/29 and CW affiliate KMYS/35 (through Deerfield Media). Something tells me this could also strike a stir in the Alamo city.

From Neil Griffin on RadioInsight:

Sinclair shares facilities and supplies programming to WTLH now (they cannot legally own it). The FCC is applying more scrutiny to these sorts of agreements, so they may be getting things in place should they not be able to keep the arrangement. Remember, they had to get rid of the licenses for WCFT/WJSU in Brimingham and WCIV in Charleston because of this.

According to a friend in the market, the 40.2 Fox subchannel has been upgraded from SD to HD.

But it’s not yet shown up on RabbitEars.
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=66908#station

I've not heard anything about the Tallahassee DMA at all in recent months, so RabbitEars would not be updated.

- Trip

From CircleSeven on tvnewstalk.net:

Okay, y'all. Remember that New Age deal from last September 2013? As of Halloween, it appears that the applications involved in the deal were DISMISSED.

So that basically means Sinclair bailed out of this deal right? WRONG.

They stated this, as they released their Q3 earnings report last week:

− On November 1, the Company closed on the previously announced purchase of the non-license assets of 8 stations in 3 markets from New Age Media (“New Age”).

So while (technically) the deal is dead, New Age keeps the papers, and Sinclair is now running the show.

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index....-group-general-discussion/page-10#entry124114

Oh boy.

On second thought, Mr Cieloha has a good idea. Only in Sioux City, it's KMEG that would be sold, while Sinclair keeps KPTH. Perhaps KXVO and KMEG would be sold to Liberman, which owns a few Spanish stations.

Here's how I'd do things in Omaha:
KPTM: 42.1 FOX (720p HD), 42.2 CW (720p HD), 42.3 MNT/ThisTV (480i SD), 42.4 Grit (480i SD)
KXVO (spun off): 15.1 Azteca, 15.2 Estrella

And in Sioux City:
KPTH: 44.1 FOX (720p HD), 44.2 CBS (720p HD), 44.3 MNT/ThisTV (480i SD), 44.4 Grit (480i SD)
KMEG (spun off): 14.1 Azteca

This might happen in other Sinclair markets as well, I'll get to those later.

More Sinclair subchannel shuffles:

Baltimore (Sinclair's hometown)
WBFF: 45.1 FOX (720p HD), 45.2 MNT (720p HD), 45.3 WxNation (480i SD)
WNUV: 54.1 CW (720p HD), 54.2 GetTV (480i SD), 54.3 Grit (480i SD)
WUTB (spun off): 24.1 ????
ThisTV moved to WMAR 2.2 or WBAL 11.3

San Antonio
WOAI: 4.1 NBC (1080i HD), 4.2 CW (720p HD), 4.3 Antenna TV (480i SD)
KABB: 29.1 FOX (720p HD), 29.2 MundoFOX (720p HD)
KMYS (spun off): 35.1 ????

Nashville
WZTV: 17.1 FOX (720p HD), 17.2 CW (720p HD), 17.3 WxNation (480i SD)
WUXP: 30.1 MNT (720p HD), 30.2 GetTV (480i SD), 30.3 Grit (480i SD)
WNAB (spun off): 58.1 ????

Cincinnati
WKRC: 12.1 CBS (1080i HD), 12.2 CW (720p HD), 12.3 GetTV (480i SD)
WSTR (spun off): 64.1 ????
Sinclair could buy WBQC-LD or WOTH-LD and move MNT there.

Buffalo
WUTV: 29.1 FOX (720p HD), 29.2 MNT (720p HD), 29.3 Grit (480i SD), 29.4 GetTV (480i SD)
WNYO (spun off): 49.1 ????
ZUUS Country: no longer carried

Scranton PA: WQMY goes back to being a satellite of WOLF
WOLF/WQMY: 56.1/53.1 FOX (720p HD), 56.2/53.2 CW (720p HD), 56.3/53.3 MNT (480i SD), 56.4/53.4 MeTV (480i SD)
WSWB (spun off): 38.1 ????

Harrisburg PA
WHP: 21.1 CBS (720p HD), 21.2 CW (720p HD), 21.3 MNT (480i SD), 21.4 Grit (480i SD)
WLYH (spun off): 15.1 ????

Eugene/Coos Bay/Roseburg OR
KVAL/KCBY/KPIC: 13.1/11.1/4.1 CBS (720p HD), 13.2/11.2/4.2 NBC (720p HD), 13.3/11.3/4.3 CW (480i SD), 13.4/11.4/4.4: Grit (480i SD)
KMTR/KMCW/KTCW (spun off): 16.1/23.1/46.1 ????
ThisTV moved to KEZI 9.3 or KEVU 34.3

Florence SC
WPDE: 15.1 ABC (720p HD), 15.2 CW (720p HD), 15.3 CW Plus (480i SD), 15.4 Weather (480i SD)
WWMB (spun off): 21.1 ????

Beaumont TX
KFDM: 6.1 CBS (1080i HD), 6.2 FOX (720p HD), 6.3 Bounce (480i SD), 6.4 Grit (480i SD)
KBTV (spun off): 4.1 ????
Sinclair could buy KIPS-LD and move CW there.

And back to Tallahassee...
WTWC: 40.1 NBC (1080i HD), 40.2 FOX (720p HD), 40.3 GetTV (480i SD), 40.4 MeTV (480i SD)
WTLH (spun off): 49.1 ????
WTLF (spun off): 24.1 ????
ZUUS Country: no longer carried
CW moved to WCTV 6.3 (480i SD)

Last edited:
And a non-Sinclair shuffle, this one involving Scripps in Boise.

KIVI: 6.1 ABC (720p HD), 6.2 FOX (720p HD), 6.3 Heartland (480i SD), 6.4 Untamed Sports (480i SD)
KNIN (spun off): 9.1 ????
LiveWell Network: no longer carried (was on 9.2)

6.2 would still be called FOX 9 based on its cable channel.

Watching the New Years Celebration on WTLH via Comcast. At 12:30am, the screen froze (signaling the switch over to WTWC DT2?). I only heard of this news through messages on my Comcast box. Comcast channels 10 & 434 will be listed as WTWC. The broadcast card shows "ETWC DT Tallahassee"... I am assuming this is a typo? The WTLH letters are gone from the promos.

In an interesting development (or not), I noticed that Comcast 6 is listed as CW+ and 435 is WTLF HD...

Watching the New Years Celebration on WTLH via Comcast. At 12:30am, the screen froze (signaling the switch over to WTWC DT2?). I only heard of this news through messages on my Comcast box. Comcast channels 10 & 434 will be listed as WTWC. The broadcast card shows "ETWC DT Tallahassee"... I am assuming this is a typo? The WTLH letters are gone from the promos.

ETWC isn't really a typo; subchannels are denoted for ratings and limited FCC purposes with EXXX being DT2, FXXX being DT3, GXXX as DT4, etc. It was limited to just Nielsen at the start but now some stations are using them in PSIP and branding, though still really limited.

ETWC isn't really a typo; subchannels are denoted for ratings and limited FCC purposes with EXXX being DT2, FXXX being DT3, GXXX as DT4, etc. It was limited to just Nielsen at the start but now some stations are using them in PSIP and branding, though still really limited.

Thank you for the clarification!

Maybe this is a trivial question... when the main channel, in this case WTLH 49.1, goes off the air, do the subchannels automatically go away? I wish I could test, but I cannot get a TV signal in my apartment.
Here, 49.2 is CW (although WTLF is being simulcast there, Comcast carries it), and MeTV is on 49.3. On the Fox site, the Me TV references are gone, so I must be answering my own question... and now, Comcast channel 220 is a blank screen.

Last edited:
Odds are the subchannels would go with WTLH if it were to go off since the CW still serves Tallahassee.

Thank you for the clarification!

Maybe this is a trivial question... when the main channel, in this case WTLH 49.1, goes off the air, do the subchannels automatically go away? I wish I could test, but I cannot get a TV signal in my apartment.
Here, 49.2 is CW (although WTLF is being simulcast there, Comcast carries it), and MeTV is on 49.3. On the Fox site, the Me TV references are gone, so I must be answering my own question... and now, Comcast channel 220 is a blank screen.

Must been some kind of glitch because 220 is on the air.

Is that list for Florence SC correct?

I don't want to miss my CW shows when I go to the beach!

And how can there be more than one HD channel on a channel? I thought that was one reason for opposition to stations sharing facilities.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom