• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Over Six Months Ago, This Weekend:

S

Scooter Lesley

Call it "Recall--lection Day", as it twas over six months ago, when the Alleged far more learn-id than you, and I,...Jacobs Media revealed, at some Radio Gala-Whoop-tee-do, the findings from their most recent...Macho-Massive Research Project. Hold on to your ass, Howard,...as I again...repeat the main two findings:

"Playing the same songs, all the time, and.....Loose Listeners!".

"Song Repetition,...is the Main Culprit!".

Now,...(and seven months ago)...aside from a keen grasp of the obvious,...I've been preaching these truths for the last 10-to-15 years!(no research needed!).

However, I have not noticed any station following the Jacobs Brothers, and/or their gatherings. Hmmmmmmmm?

So Sayeth The Sheppard,
So Sayeth The Flock!

However, I have not noticed any station following the Jacobs Brothers, and/or their gatherings. Hmmmmmmmm?

That's because you took the results of their study out of context. As we pointed out 6 months ago.

Meanwhile, the stations most guilty of what you'd called "song repetition" are enjoying some of the highest shares in their history.

By the way, there's no rule that says anything a consultant says it true. They have been known to make mistakes. Right?

Or do you only believe a consultant when they say something you already believe?

Ammmmmmuzing! Always on the funny side when I read where you two boneheads have hatched a thought, and tapped it out on the keyboard,....before you
For-Got! It ain't me you have to challenge. It's Fred Jacobs. I'm just agreeing with him,....after I had Preached the same, 10-to-15 years ago.

I have had more experience with Consultants...than Carter has Liver Pills. However, I never lost an argument.

...and (currently) stations (with 4 & 5 shares!) are enjoying some of the Highest shares, in their History......Readers: Nothing could be further from the truth!
If Entercom wanted to really see ROQ have a good book, just have The Planet go dark....Default Up>>>>>and see what we did!

You're just jealous because our family trees have branches.
I wonder what Henry Louis Gates would find if Scooter was on his show.

Interestingly, Nas has numerous ancestors named Little. It seems one slave owner named Little owned a bunch of his ancestors and they married each other.

But that's not the same as what Jeff is saying.

Well,..since launching this Topic/Thread, we have experienced, as usual, the Meaningless Doodle Toooodledge of Jethro/JethreneM, V-Monkey, and his "A"-ness.

The truth is...since I acquired a written transcript of the alleged findings, I did not take anything out of context, and since I said it all first, some 10-15 years ago, then yep, they, unknowingly, agreed to everything that I said. However, and not necessarily following my lead, other great Programmers were practicing the same such: Mark Sanders, Bill Walker, Donovan McKenzie, Jim Evans, and Weat Maddis, just to name a few.

Now, with all in, and all done...the pure deduced fact is this: Playing the same songs over & over...because some alleged research told you that the public likes them, has to have an End Time. For most stations, in this market, they have past that mark, years ago.

Last edited:
If Jacobs is so opposed to repetition, why did he also post this on his blog:

We know from Arbitron that the average length of a listening occasion is just short of ten minutes. Yet radio as a medium is often loathe to repeat hit songs, station promos or successful bits for fear of being perceived as being “too repetitive.”

Fred tells the story of talking with former radio programming superstar, Tim Sabean, who crossed the fence years ago to oversee Howard Stern’s networks on Sirius. Fairly early in his tenure, Fred asked him what lesson he learned from his time in satellite radio that he would bring back to broadcasting. And Tim didn’t hesitate:

“Repeat your successes.”

----------------

His point was not only to repeat songs, but also repeat good bits by station talent. Listeners want great content, and if it's great, they want to hear it again.

Another example he gave was "Duck Dynasty," where about 36 episodes are repeated over and over on A&E, like hit songs, and the audience doesn't tire at all from the repetition.

So clearly, Fred's view about repetition isn't the same as yours.

There are so many holes in the last post, I'll try to simplify, by answering it in pieces. If "Repeating Your Successes" means to take a 409 song playlist, and play it over, and over,....with the narrow-casting theory that those are the only songs that the the public wants to hear....is egotistically...Horse Manure!

No Radio listener is that limited in their independent thinking. As you can clearly see where...and that's not far....just where that practice has landed you.

Small monthly billings, that you can only pray to collect, and Peeeeee-u-neeee single digit....4 & 5 share ratings! You have proved the Failure!

There are so many holes in the last post, I'll try to simplify, by answering it in pieces. If "Repeating Your Successes" means to take a 409 song playlist, and play it over, and over,....with the narrow-casting theory that those are the only songs that the the public wants to hear....is egotistically...Horse Manure!

Don't worry, Cooter, when it comes to egotistical Horse Manure, no one has you beat.

There are so many holes in the last post, I'll try to simplify, by answering it in pieces.

You're not arguing with me...you're arguing with the guy who you said agrees with you.

Consider how many times A&E has repeated each episode of Duck Dynasty. That was their example. They have 36 episodes, and they've been running them non-stop for 3 years. That's more repetition than any radio station I know. And somehow, the guys beards haven't grown at all.

As you can clearly see where...and that's not far....just where that practice has landed you.

And YOU can clearly see...and this is mean I know...where your theories have landed you.

Last edited:
In both Radio & TV, I was very successful with every path, that I chose to travel. Now, I get up, have breakfast, and do as I damn-well please; debt free, and answering to no one. For you, daily, you eek-out your meager existence, hoping not to be fired, by the corporate gavel holder. You foolishly compare Radio listening to TV viewing, as if they shared something. Listen to Arbitron, when they have a less than 40% diary return rate; and some plagued with that weighted horse manure, that always lists JAMZ as #1. Take the advice of Record Labels, and the doooodling tooooo-dulege of Pencilneck Consultants.....Pid-de-ful!

With that said, I don't think that you can give advice to the street sweeper!

Well, one thing you can say about a street sweeper...his business is always "picking up"...(Horse Manure!!)

Well,...fear not Jethro/JethreneM,....as TheBigA broom closet not only has his tools of the trade, but there is also one in there to fit your skinny little hands. Be glad I don't inspect your efforts there, as well. Marv, stand by with my white "hehehe" glove.

In both Radio & TV, I was very successful with every path, that I chose to travel.

Sez you.

Now, I get up, have breakfast, and do as I damn-well please; debt free, and answering to no one.

I see. That could simply mean you live within the limits of your a) unemployment check b) Social Security check or c) family support.

For you, daily, you eek-out your meager existence, hoping not to be fired, by the corporate gavel holder.

Or, perhaps, he is the "gavel holder".

You foolishly compare Radio listening to TV viewing, as if they shared something.

They do: each takes hours out of a person's weekly entertainment budget, and each competes for sponsors' dollars.

Listen to Arbitron

Nielsen.

when they have a less than 40% diary return rate; and some plagued with that weighted horse manure, that always lists JAMZ as #1. Take the advice of Record Labels, and the doooodling tooooo-dulege of Pencilneck Consultants.....Pid-de-ful!

There is nothing wrong with a 40% return rate, as long as your diary placement is enough to get you the sample size you want. If you need 1000 diaries, then you send out 2400. Big deal.

As to weighting, all random probability samples need some weighting to bring down the oversampled stratification sets and to bring up any that are too low. The result is that every part of the sample is exactly proportional to the population being sampled.

If Jamz is #1, then that is because it has more listeners.

With that said, I don't think that you can give advice to the street sweeper!

I do thank you for writing close-to-coherent English this time. Which is saying a lot.

This Jethro/Jethrene crap is really getting old, Lesley/Lesley...

Last edited:
Well,...I go away just long e-nuff to watch my DVR-ed UFC programs, and the whole direction sours, like they paid a Consultant to pre-write their drivel.
Jethro/JethreneM decides to fight his way out of a wet paper bag, and make a stance. While Mr. Ed of LA, has surfaced again, to spout advice on South Carolina Radio, and dissect my last post,...as if he is having a stroke!

More importantly, as I said in the beginning, after very expensive research, a major Consultant firm, is beginning to see it my way: Short-shallow playlists:
Over-playing or repeating the same songs too much, can cause you to loose listeners. It was never that hard to deduce.

Oh,...and Mr.Ed,....next time, type us one in Spanish. I won't be able to read a word of it, but it will entertain us all, none the less.

More importantly, as I said in the beginning, after very expensive research, a major Consultant firm, is beginning to see it my way: Short-shallow playlists:
Over-playing or repeating the same songs too much, can cause you to loose listeners.

But as we've said several times to you already: That's not what he said. And he's not advising his clients to add more songs to their playlists.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom