• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New York Radio Ratings: October 2014

The October 2014 survey period covers Thu. 9/11/14-Wed. 10/8/14 - publicly released data for subscribing stations age 6+ overall:

New York: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb001

Next report will be for the November 2014 survey period covering Thu. 10/9/14-Wed. 11/5/14.
The data release date will be Mon. 11/24/14.

AllAccess.com October 2014 PPM Analysis including top 5 overall, top 5 in 25-54, top 5 in 18-34 and top 5 in 18-49 (New York is discussed first):

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rch-director-inc-presents-exclusive-oct-ppm-a

No big surprise...it's football season, and The Fan picks up a point.

The one thing that stands out is the .4 increase for WABC...up to a 2.0...because of what?

No big surprise...it's football season, and The Fan picks up a point.

The one thing that stands out is the .4 increase for WABC...up to a 2.0...because of what?

Maybe some of the old angry white guys that WCBS-FM (off 0.7) is driving away by eliminating most of the '60s music are opting for old angry white-guy talk instead. I see that the Jets were good for a 0.5 jump for WEPN as well. Not sure why anyone would continue listening, though.

Last edited:
... old angry white guys ...

Come on. Racism is racism no matter who it's directed at. Let's cut this stereotypical nonsense out!

I'm old enough to remember talk of "the angry black man." But that anger was justified and in fact was the basis of the Civil Rights movement, which I think led to this being a better country. But when I read comments about "old angry white guys" I have to wonder. Just as when we tried to ignore or suppress the angry minority voices of the 1960, we do ourselves a disservice by ignoring the voices of those who may not agree with the direction things are moving today. Some of that anger is justified.

While today's talk radio is long on shouting and sloganeering and short on rational conceptual discussion, that's a different issue. It's not especially helpful but it doesn't mean anyone of any ethnic or socioeconomic group doesn't have a right to be angry. That also applies to posters who display their anger by railing against "old angry white guys," I suppose.

Maybe because the programming has changed for the better and it takes six months to a year for the audience to notice. They say talk radio listening habits are slower to establish and slower to change. I think we're seeing that.

A year ago WABC was syndicated conservative political strategy most of the time. That's changed, most notably with Curtis & Kuby mid-days. While there's still room for improvement in much of WABC's programming, it's moving in the right direction -- live, local, less focused on political strategy. WOR has gone in the exact opposite direction and the trajectory of both these stations will be interesting to watch. It might say something about what talk radio listeners really want to hear.

My .02......I find myself tuning into WABC more often, C&K are a good listen and should be the replacement for Imus when he throws in the towel. Does anyone have the morning ratings breakdown? The added numerous local news, weather and traffic updates are a positive imo, sort of what has helped NJ1015 to be successful. Speaking of NJ1015's reverb WABC now has mild reverb on the audio chain. WNYC FM keeps creeping towards the top 10. WOR is a mess, still no permanent morning show. I dont listen to WNYM enough to comment on it. I'm guessing they don't subscribe to the ratings service.

WPLJ has seen a bump as well I guess as a result of the morning show tweaking, maybe the music mix has been tweaked as well sounds like it covers the different genres better the Fresh. CBS FM I like the inclusion of mid 60s and 90s music along with the 70s & 80s however some songs are getting burned out from heavy rotation. Speaking of burnout from heavy rotation....Q1043

Q1043.... I agree BigA it works for them especially because as there is no other rock station in the city. The artists they play are awesome, however I would like to see them go deeper into the playlists of those artists.

Q1043.... I agree BigA it works for them especially because as there is no other rock station in the city. The artists they play are awesome, however I would like to see them go deeper into the playlists of those artists.

Deeper playlists have never helped stations like this. It just means more time between the songs people really want to hear.

WNSH lost ground in the current ratings. In addition to New York, they are down considerably in M/S/U (where they still have a 3.6), and Nassau-Suffolk. I thought Nash would continue to gain, as they have been promoted on a number of local billboards, and are making appearances at many country events and venues.
The national morning show that Nash carries is clearly not helping them. According to the Taylor on the Radio, while unpopular in this area to begin with, it has slipped further. It seems interesting that Cumulus had a want ad seeking a local morning team for a Nash station in Ohio. That may be an indication they realize the national morning show will not work well in certain markets. Perhaps a simple, music intensive morning program with a single local DJ would do better in New York than what is currently aired. I get it that Cumulus wants to be able to say to advertisers that their national morning country show is on in NYC. But that may accomplish little if it has awful ratings.

Last edited:
When Blair Gardner's morning show began it was a local New York show,even though it was based in Nashville. Still the show was very Nashville centric and had very little New York feel. Now that the show is national there is hardly any local feel. I would imagine mornings are the weakest daypart of WNSH. I know it is 2014 and the realities of radio,but Nash FM lacks a certain "warmth" that it's predecessors WYNY and WHN had. At least those stations ran local morning shows.

I guess cutting the PLJ morning show down to almost nothing has helped them raise ratings a little..

although considering what they did to my favorite morning show, I really hope they drop below a 1.5

I love Nash FM, but I rarely listen in the mornings. Not because the morning show is national (I couldn't care less about that), but the show and hosts are just unappealing, and the show seems way too female-oriented. My wife listens every morning on her way to work and doesn't mind the morning show at all. I doubt she even knows the difference between a national show and local show.

Big A mentioned >>'Deeper playlists have never helped stations like (WAXQ). It just means more time between the songs people really want to hear.'<<

A bit of background here.
I worked AoR at two stations, both in major markets, and both times successfully. I then saw and heard what I consider to be the de-volution of the format. So I tendered by resignation and went to an A/C station, where the listeners and callers were at least a demo-and-a-half more mature than the panic line of 15-year old males who couldn't get enough 'Ozzy'.
(Along the way, incidentally, my PD and I had come up with perhaps the first Classic Rock programming, a specialty show of past AoR favorites on Saturday nights. The year that originally aired was 1978)
That era of AoR remains a cherished one for me, understandably. That fits right in with my affection and TSL with the traditional C&W, the Chicken-Rock years of A/C, early 60's Jazz, the underplayed Oldies, and even the Standards/Musicals from the 50's years (my Folks' music). I have more than enough of all those genres on CDs and sound files for a No-Repeat Retirement, so I don't give a flying one of I never hear another station like WAXQ again, or any station of its sort.
I don't mean to single out WAXQ, by the way. But they were the station that was referenced.

I get it about the song testing. I get it about the demos. I get it about the prevailing structure/concept.

And I get it about all of that being balanced on the tightrope-walk vis-a-vis listening at work ...... almost.

What I don't get is people seeing only peril in broadening the playlist and going deeper, and further claiming exclusitivity within the desired demo -- especially on stations that are the only game in town. To where are those who listen at work going to flee ? If WAXQ or a similar station plays, as an example, 'Jingo' or 'Everything's Coming Our Way' by Santana at 2:10PM some weekday instead of 'Black Magic Woman', which other station would benefit from that blunder?

It ain't my money, and as I've said, I don't listen. I'm just of the notion that an only-game-in-town might do well to be flaunting more and daunting less.

But in 2014, you're never the only game in town just because you're the only FM with a format locally. It's not which station would benefit from the blunder, it's which medium would benefit. Unhappy with WAXQ? There's your personal playlist on your iPhone/iPod/iPad/Droid, or any of the 1,342,403,202 streaming options.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom