• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Los Angeles + Riverside-San Bernardino Radio Ratings: October 2014

The October 2014 survey period covers Thu. 9/11/14-Wed. 10/8/14 - publicly released data for subscribing stations age 6+ overall:

Los Angeles: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb003
Riverside-San Bernardino: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb379

Next report will be for the November 2014 survey period covering Thu. 10/9/14-Wed. 11/5/14.
The data release date will be Mon. 11/24/14.

AllAccess.com October 2014 PPM Analysis including top 5 overall, top 5 in 25-54, top 5 in 18-34 and top 5 in 18-49 (Los Angeles is discussed second):

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rch-director-inc-presents-exclusive-oct-ppm-a

The big story here is already being discussed in another thread, and that's the continuing collapse of KHHT. Not so hot.

"RADIO Classic Hits KRTH (K-EARTH) held on at #4 despite landing its lowest share since MARCH (4.5-4.2)."

And at a 4.9 in August. Hmmm......

Better change your tune.

Doing what they're doing now is what got them the 4.9.

The station in trouble is KHHT.

I'm guessing the decrease in KRTH's 12+ rating is due to the 55+ listeners giving up on the station, which the advertisers won't mind at all. Only a look at the demographic breakdown of the rating can prove or disprove this, and that's off limits to us outsiders, barring a "mole" at KRTH or an ad agency leaking the info.

I'm guessing the decrease in KRTH's 12+ rating is due to the 55+ listeners giving up on the station, which the advertisers won't mind at all.

Could be a lot of things. The fact is the published numbers don't tell the real story with a station that is primarily aiming at adults. At some point, they have to clear out more of the 55+, and that will result in lower overall numbers.

Doing what they're doing now is what got them the 4.9.

Doing what they are doing now DID get them a 4.9, but NOW has them at 4.2. That is a major slide in anyone's book and they will have to adjust. Since they are always playing the same songs, burnout is the most likely reason for the decline.

Doing what they are doing now DID get them a 4.9, but NOW has them at 4.2. That is a major slide in anyone's book and they will have to adjust. Since they are always playing the same songs, burnout is the most likely reason for the decline.
In 25-54, KRTH is #9. Their month-to-month numbers in that demo are still up over the first quarter of this year.

The 4.9 to 4.2 is still within the range of a wobble, particularly since one of the weeks was abnormally low. Wobbles can be caused by any number of things, the biggest being panel turnover and the P1's who are in-tab during the period.

This is particularly significant when we see that much of the decline originated in mornings, where the show had a low book... and mornings tend to affect middays. We know that things like vacations and other variables affect morning shows so we have to see at least another full book to come to any conclusion.

Last edited:
"RADIO Classic Hits KRTH (K-EARTH) held on at #4 despite landing its lowest share since MARCH (4.5-4.2)."

And at a 4.9 in August. Hmmm......

Better change your tune.

No, more likely 4.9 was a high side and 4.2 is a low side, with 4.5 being the norm.

Why isn't anyone commenting about the new CBS Sports Radio affiliate? KFWB's audience share has doubled!

Okay, it went from 0.1 to 0.2, but that's still double. I enjoy listening to Marques Johnson, Jeanne Zelasko, Sam Farber and Fred Roggin. I haven't heard the Brett Winterble/George Wrighster afternoon show yet but it's nice that KFWB is emphasizing Los Angeles sports instead of just filling the day with syndicated programs. (Jim Rome's show airs from 9 to noon.) But.....Joe McDonnell has covered sports since 1975 for KGIL, KFI, KMPC, KSPN, KLAC and several other stations. In 2014 he's being wasted as a writer and podcaster for AngelsWin.com. It would be nice if KFWB could find a slot for him.

No, more likely 4.9 was a high side and 4.2 is a low side, with 4.5 being the norm.

And it's a 4.2 today (4th place), a slide of 0.7 in just two months. Agree with Channel Flipper, excessive tuneout due to excessive playing of many burned songs is a major factor. I realize this reasoning never wants to be admitted by the pros, but it also happened on Jay Coffey's watch as well. Just the beginning....unless they change their tune.......pronto!

Why isn't anyone commenting about the new CBS Sports Radio affiliate? KFWB's audience share has doubled!

The October book ended October 8. So it only included a bit more than 2 weeks of the new KFWB format.

In 12+ the station had a 0.2 in all 4 of the weeks of the book, so there was no boost from the change, but no loss either. In week 2, KFWB had its highest 25-54 share, just prior to the change.

What it really looks like is that it had something like a 0.14 in September and a 0.16 or over in October and got rounded up in the second month.

And it's a 4.2 today (4th place), a slide of 0.7 in just two months. Agree with Channel Flipper, excessive tuneout due to excessive playing of many burned songs is a major factor. I realize this reasoning never wants to be admitted by the pros, but it also happened on Jay Coffey's watch as well. Just the beginning....unless they change their tune.......pronto!

Please try to understand what the margin of error is in these PPM critters.

A 4.5 is a 4.9 is a 4.2 is a 4.6. All are, statistically, the same number.

The 4.9 to 4.2 is still within the range of a wobble,

When they slide to a 4.1 or a 3.9 next book, are they still in the range of your wobble?

They have slid and the music selection / presentation are usually primary reasons.

They want to be #1? Gotta change the tune. Reduce the nonsense of playing songs 5 times a day, or supposedly 8 times in 36 hours. This isn't KIIS FM. Increase the playlist to showcase newly-added classics and for Pete's sake, have some fun, legit weekends or weekday evening type specials. Stations that have fun with it's audience is a recipe for success. Play what they want, not what YOU want.

I'm convinced very few in L.A. (or any city for that matter) would "authorize" any station (except CHR's), let alone KRTH, to play any song 35 times a week, even if they heard it once or twice every week. To myself and many others, that's overkill.

Being monotone, stagnant or doing the same thing over and over daily 'til your are blue in the face, invites trouble and lower ratings. It happens.

Last edited:

The 4.9 to 4.2 is still within the range of a wobble, particularly since one of the weeks was abnormally low. Wobbles can be caused by any number of things, the biggest being panel turnover and the P1's who are in-tab during the period.

This is particularly significant when we see that much of the decline originated in mornings, where the show had a low book... and mornings tend to affect middays. We know that things like vacations and other variables affect morning shows so we have to see at least another full book to come to any conclusion.

David, If a 4.9 = 4.2 because both are in the wobble, then everything the Arbitron/Nielsen critics have been saying is true. As someone who has a few statistics classes under my belt, I completely understand the concept of "wobble", but this was over three reporting periods on a straight downward slide - that's not a wobble, that is a trend. I don't believe for a minute that at this point in time you would tell your clients that this represents a "wobble" and you would stand pat until the next month comes in at a 4.0 or worse.

I also know you wouldn't be going with that stupid vacation possibility either. This book covers the period AFTER the Labor Day weekend through the beginning of October, a period when few people are actually on vacation and listening (and TV viewing patterns) tend to return to their norms coming off of their various summer vacations and activities.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom