• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

October Ratings

I love the fact that 98.9 is almost 0. The River has dropped substantially as well. Still too much hard metal rock, that is not a true "classic" hits station in any form or fashion.

And Rock 100.5 what a joke, if they truly went to a Classic Hits format, I have said it before and i"ll say it again, thier ratings would sky rocket.

Last edited:
I love the fact that 98.9 is almost 0. The River has dropped substantially as well. Still too much hard metal rock, that is not a true "classic" hits station in any form or fashion.

And Rock 100.5 what a joke, if they truly went to a Classic Hits format, I have said it before and i"ll say it again, thier ratings would sky rocket.

For what it's worth, I am a major fan of rock from the Classic era, as well as newly recorded music that has the classic sound. I usually listen to my own pre-recorded music because I haven't been able to find a really good classic rock station. The main thing I've noticed about most radio stations in Atlanta is that if a listener doesn't proactively search on the dial by scanning to find something, he has little idea of what's out there. If a station that most listeners reject because their playlist is too narrow attempts to attract more listeners by loosening their playlist up, none of the people who might switch to that station know that they've loosened their playlist, unless they lurk in this forum.

If a station wants potential listeners to tune them in and listen, they need to let the potential listeners know what to expect if they do change to the station. We're not going to keep sampling a station we've rejected just to see if they've changed or not. If a station wants us back, they need to communicate to us through other media that they've got something new going on.

Avid - what are you suggesting? That a major radio corporation actually spend real dollars advertising their own radio station, when the same radio station only expects their customers to actually spend money with them? Nonsense. Makes too much cents in 2014. Forget the idea. Successful radio promotions now are 114 likes on Facebook.

Avid - what are you suggesting? That a major radio corporation actually spend real dollars advertising their own radio station, when the same radio station only expects their customers to actually spend money with them? Nonsense. Makes too much cents in 2014. Forget the idea. Successful radio promotions now are 114 likes on Facebook.

You're right. I was suffering from a brain fart. Of course no radio station would ever advertise or promote itself.

I with max 100 on 100.5 but, I don't think it would be that simple. The Regular Guys are not "female friendly" but they are rumored to be big revenue generators. The strip club commercials on 100.5 most likely do not help either giving 97.1 what would be the female "oldie" / classic hit demos by default due to the lack of any Atlanta Radio station playing any pop hits before released before 1990. I know Classic Rockers target the male demos but still if an agency buyer has two stations in the target demo (97.1 and 100.5) with similar cost per thousands, but one station delivers "extra / bonus" demos (97.1 extra females for "free") I would bet the buyer would spend more at the station that gives extra demos unless the clients wants to limit the target audience and potential customers' money.

Cumulus has The regular Guys under contract. I am sure if they were not delivering revenue the contract would be bought out. I have been saying Cumulus should copy KZ 106 Chattanooga after TRG for a long time. Another idea take 500 or 600 tested classic rock tunes and do like 97.1 did to 96 Rock: just play "hits". I know it is nerve wracking for the air staff (be there done it in AC, Top 40 and Country) but tight play lists work.

Hey Tibbsy, last time I was in your town, I saw highway billboards for radio stations all over the place. Some of the major radio corporations you talk about also own outdoor advertising companies. The big stations also frequently co-sponsor concerts and other activities people go to. So they spend money on things like this all the time.

See - I don't think tight playlists works for some formats. Yes, it works for top 40 formats - After all, that is what top 40 is but you go try to pull some top 40 over played small playlist on an alternative or classic rock format, you are going to lose listeners. Classic Hits is a different situation because it focuses on the hits (hence it's name). Good Classic Rock stations though like KZ 106 in Chattanooga and KSHE 95 in St. Louis do NOT have small playlists and have amazing ratings.

Power, Star, Q100, and even pop country stations can play that limited playlist where you hear the same song every 75 minutes but you go pull that on a classic rock, AAA, and Alternative, you will get a backlash. Go check out the facebook page comments on X107.1 (Alt40 format) and you will see what I mean.

While driving around town today I saw two billboards that let me know that 107.1 plays The Black Keys. Nothing against the Black Keys, but that's no enough information to really let me know what to expect on 107.1.

Obviously not in the Top 5, 18-34/25-54 But, just how bad were the ratings for Power 96-1? Surprised morning show Scotty Kay and crew haven't helped them much. Possible to see Power's numbers?

See - I don't think tight playlists works for some formats. Yes, it works for top 40 formats - After all, that is what top 40 is but you go try to pull some top 40 over played small playlist on an alternative or classic rock format, you are going to lose listeners. Classic Hits is a different situation because it focuses on the hits (hence it's name). Good Classic Rock stations though like KZ 106 in Chattanooga and KSHE 95 in St. Louis do NOT have small playlists and have amazing ratings.

Power, Star, Q100, and even pop country stations can play that limited playlist where you hear the same song every 75 minutes but you go pull that on a classic rock, AAA, and Alternative, you will get a backlash. Go check out the facebook page comments on X107.1 (Alt40 format) and you will see what I mean.

IIRC when 97.1 took down 96.1 (with a little help from The Regular Guys' unauthorized taping in the restroom stunt), they did it with under 600 songs. At 17 songs an hour 500 songs would take 29 hours before a song is played again, with no commercials. Tight playlists and music testing work because, they eliminate songs that will cause your P 1 will switch to another station.

Example one of my favorite Southern groups was Wet Willie. Most Classic rock fans will remember "Keep On Smilin'" and "Street Corner Serenade", but Wet Wellie's second highest charting song "Weekend" had a disco beat that I doubt will ever be played on 97.1 or 100.5.

BTW most classic rock stations will add or take out songs every couple of weeks or months.

The real shame is that Cumulus owns KZ 106 so it would not be too hard or expensive to "import" their playlist.

Example one of my favorite Southern groups was Wet Willie. Most Classic rock fans will remember "Keep On Smilin'" and "Street Corner Serenade", but Wet Wellie's second highest charting song "Weekend" had a disco beat that I doubt will ever be played on 97.1 or 100.5.

There is a lot of classic rock that isn't played on the radio anymore because it is too disco, too New Wave, or too prog. That is why ELO has a bunch of hits which aren't played on the radio anymore. This also happened to KISS, and Rush to a lesser extent, among many others.

So despite X107.1, Radio 105.7 increased slightly, and is #4 among 18-34 (if I read that right).

And GPB did nothing for WRAS, and didn't impact WABE.

You're close. Radio 105.7 is tied for 3rd place (18-34) with Q100.

So despite X107.1, Radio 105.7 increased slightly, and is #4 among 18-34 (if I read that right).

And GPB did nothing for WRAS, and didn't impact WABE.

Has any one noticed the new image guy on 100.5? He sounds like the guy that did the imaging on 106.7 when it was country. I guess the "new" PD at 100.5 is starting to make some changes.

They also continue to have the "Atlanta's Rock Station" in their picture online but their website is "Atlanta's Classic Rock". Small but can be significant if ever they wanted to add more modern stuff in the future if the classic rock gig doesn't work. I believe it must be if they are keeping it. Not sure how it's billing - Only have the ratings to go by.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom