• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K254BZ - Another good example of "Stick Chess"

93QClassic.com

In another thread, folks got to talking about K254BZ, a construction permit for a KKHT-FM translator in Fairbanks. See http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/sta_det.pl?Facility_id=145065 ...I'm like, say what? Does Salem know about this translator?

Nope. It was news to Chuck Tiller, his engineer and the GM. Chuck tells me the matter is now being referred to their legal department.

Did a little digging. Had a nice conversation with the president of a small org in Augusta, Georgia calling themselves "Community Public Radio." Over a decade ago, they filed for dozens of permits across the country. Relying on their non-profit status, they avoiding paying FCC filing fees by indicating on their applications they intended noncommercial educational ("NCE") operation.

About an hour ago, the president of Community Public Radio admitted to me they don't have the financial ability to put these stations on the air, and never intended to do so. It was a long term investment -- the price of paying a lawyer to file applications to try to get licenses that could later be sold. They just dropped one on Clear Channel IHeart in North Carolina for $150,000. While not giving a specific price for K254BZ, because its in a major market they hope to sell it for a lot more before the construction permit runs out in 24 months.

This is almost exactly the same situation as K291CE, a Rosenberg license obtained by church in Dallas without payment of fees on the NCE exemption, which they are now selling for a very substantial profit.

Folks, is it just me, or is there something morally wrong about what's going on here? Broadcasting to make money is one thing, but manipulating FCC procedures to make money is another. This is NOT in the "public interest." The radio spectrum is not the stock market and should not be used and manipulated to profit those who have no intention of broadcasting. All they're doing is tying up a frequency someone else could put to good use.

Last edited:
It is what it is

93, whether right or not, this is how you play radio

Thanks Joe I Think All Translators Are Pirates There Here Because Cities Hate People To Have A Choice They Block Great Signals So Your Force 2 Listen 2 Corporate Radio!!

I don't think all translators are pirates. The purpose usually is to give FM service to a signal which isn't on FM, or extend an FM station's coverage. Rarely do they interfere with stations which would provide at least a decent signal into the translator's area, but if they do one can file against them.
I know some DXers might not agree with me, but I'm just saying what I think translators are for.

I don't think all translators are pirates. The purpose usually is to give FM service to a signal which isn't on FM, or extend an FM station's coverage. Rarely do they interfere with stations which would provide at least a decent signal into the translator's area, but if they do one can file against them.
I know some DXers might not agree with me, but I'm just saying what I think translators are for.

As I stated in another post, the FCC does not care about DX listeners.....Translators were meant to provide service where none was already present...however, their use is not being abused by satellators (most of them religious) who want to put a signal anywhere they can..Stations are supposed to provide for the local public interest.....translators fed by sat from a control room hundreds of miles away do not provide for the public interest....and when you look at the number of non-comm religious stations on the air, makes you wonder why? We have many different commercial stations because of different formats....but I thought there was only one God...why do we need soo many different radio stations broadcasting about the same subject (but then the question as to why we have soo many different churches pops up as well)....

Translators were/are NOT meant to extend a stations coverage. A radio station cannot own a translator that extends the signal beyond the main's 1mV contour.....The 98.7 cannot be owned by Salem since 100.7's contour stops well to the east of 98.7s signal contour...

A translator can extend a station's coverage IF owned by another party and were meant to do so to those areas lacking local coverage by any signal....BUT as anything can be abused, the translators have become more than their original use..If you look at the users of translators, the majority of them are religious broadcasters where they cannot get a Class A or better signal....(because others beat them to it)...

Use of FM translators by AMs is not the way to fix the AM band...it again is an abuse of the translator rules to get a FM signal...Translators contour cannot cross a 1mV contour of a full power signal AND any translator can be driven off the air regardless of how close or far the contours are...There is a 96.5 xlator in La that wants to move to Vidor TX...there goes any reception of KHMX.......however, seems they filed for a microwave tower...I asked the tower's owner if they had any agreement with the station...NOPE! So this religious group (OMG!) lied!!! Well, guess who is not going to get their move approved..(I dont think the commish had approved it yet)..Even if they get another site and licensed to there, complaints by listeners of KHMX requires them to mitigate the interference...to the point of removing the station from the air...OOPS. Most listeners dont know this....but there is a way...

The idiots who got the 97.1 xlator license found out real quick they pissed off a lot of Legends 97.1 listeners in the Beaumont area without even going on the air (though they claimed in a petition to move to 107.7 that they had built the signal on KZZB's tower with isocoupler, etc....funny, I took pictures of the site and never saw a FM directional antenna...and doubt they ever ran tests.....What some "God casters" will claim....someone said that Martin probably needs more listeners to donate for his coke habit.....At least 990 is on the air after being off the air for LONG terms at a time...but the audio low...I suspect there is no limiter or compressor.....the audio doesnt make 75% most of the time...but I digress...

Like I said, as anything can, translators are often abused and used NOT for their original purpose.....well, time for dinner

The idiots who got the 97.1 xlator license found out real quick they pissed off a lot of Legends 97.1 listeners in the Beaumont area without even going on the air (though they claimed in a petition to move to 107.7 that they had built the signal on KZZB's tower with isocoupler, etc....funny, I took pictures of the site and never saw a FM directional antenna...and doubt they ever ran tests.....What some "God casters" will claim....someone said that Martin probably needs more listeners to donate for his coke habit.....

radio-waves-hi.jpg

Well, appears all the rabble rousing about 97.1 in Beaumont was for naught. They now have a license to cover -- granted on October 24, 2014. http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/sta_det.pl?Facility_id=156318

Last edited:
So the question is: Now that there's a License to Cover (thanks for the info 93Q) how much interference will the 30 watt translator at 93 meters tall at 97.1 in Beaumont cause Country Legends KTHT 97.1 in the Beaumont-Port Arthur area, since the KTHT signal can be heard real well there?

And: what happened to the proposal to move the same translator to 107.7 in Beaumont (at 10 watts) to prevent the potential interference in Beaumont to 97.1?

Its not on the air..there are no FM antennas on KZZB's towers (imagine that...a religious group lying!!!)...I have driven to the towers on Bigner road and there is NO 97.1 signal coming from the KZZB towers...nor is there any antenna on the towers...
The proposal to move to 107.7 shows no signal over any populated area...what a joke....religious broadcasters are always lying to the FCC (I could post the fake and illegal paperwork Barney Joe filed concerning the LPTV)..I KNOW there has never been a FM antenna on KZZB's tower since the 95.1 antenna was removed many years ago (E-string lied in their original filing using a tower that had been down since Rita as their site!!! that is a lie and perjury right there!)...time to file a Form 2000...E String is a liar....and the FCC EIC knows me too well..the 97.1 xlator is not on the air and will be revoked by the time I get through ;) I have the proof...and dont wish to try to take it over unlike some people ;)

Last edited:
The good thing about the alleged 97.1 transmitter site is that anything placed out there will be stolen very quickly and any broadcasting will be short-lived.

This sounds like a radio variation on cyber-squatting. Cyber-squatting is the practice of registering, selling or using a domain name with the intent of profiting from the goodwill of someone else's trademark. It generally refers to the practice of buying up domain names that use the names of existing businesses with the intent to sell the names for a profit to those businesses.

Now that ICANN and the government are cracking down on cyber-squatters, I'm willing to bet that some or a lot of them are now running their scam in the radio business.

Its not on the air..there are no FM antennas on KZZB's towers (imagine that...a religious group lying!!!)...I have driven to the towers on Bigner road and there is NO 97.1 signal coming from the KZZB towers...nor is there any antenna on the towers...
The proposal to move to 107.7 shows no signal over any populated area...what a joke....religious broadcasters are always lying to the FCC (I could post the fake and illegal paperwork Barney Joe filed concerning the LPTV)..I KNOW there has never been a FM antenna on KZZB's tower since the 95.1 antenna was removed many years ago (E-string lied in their original filing using a tower that had been down since Rita as their site!!! that is a lie and perjury right there!)...time to file a Form 2000...E String is a liar....and the FCC EIC knows me too well..the 97.1 xlator is not on the air and will be revoked by the time I get through ;) I have the proof...and dont wish to try to take it over unlike some people ;)
On the case don't expect much
Really? Another member of this board documented violations with videos on YouTube that have been forwarded to the FCC. Steve Lee doesn't care. Unless youve got enough pull to get Loyd Perry moving,

CW... The Feds already determined the paperwork was not unlawful because (1) the filings used a business name that we legally had the right to use, albeit one a certain person used in filings to obtain a license, but who never legally acquired the right to use; and (2) the filings were not deceptive, in that we used our own CDBS account, as well as our own FRN number. We were also in regular contact with officials with the FCC video division, who were fully aware of the situation and what we were trying to accomplish. At least, for the seven months it lasted, the LPTV stations were on the air. They had classic videos from the 70s and 80s -- everything from Jefferson Airplane to Boy George. Every hour viewers saw a handful of secular PSAs and one 30 second spot showing our church message about getting right with God through acts of kindness. Based on the emails we received, the folks in our limited SW Houston coverage area really liked it. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alYCsgbZh1A

I agree with you 100% about the fake Godcasters. The Do-As-We-Say Not-As-We-Do hypocrites. The feel-good sermons preaching monetary blessings. Every church with a different doctrine, most centering around the compelling command that unless you attend services, tithe all your money, and believe their doctrine you are hellbound. All of it is reprehensible! I don't mean to start preaching in this forum, but the Bible gives a clear example of what real worship consists of in Matthew 25:35-40. "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." In other words, you worship God by doing acts of kindness for those in need. Actions speak a lot louder than words.

If the LPFM 97.1 is not on the air without silent authorization, by all means let the FCC know. Its not an isolated situation. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of stations where "frequency squatting" licensees are silent without authorization, or operating under false pretenses. For months, I lodged complaints about every violation I found, but nothing happened. It apparently takes a lot of complaints to get the FCC motivated to police action. I gave up on making complaints. My time and energy is better spent helping folks.

Our ministry helps finance and produce a weekly radio program called The Oasis. (Sunday Night 10 to Midnight on 100.7 KKHT) Why don't you tune in this weekend and listen to a group of people who aren't "Godcasters," but rather who are just doing the right thing.

KKHT.jpg

Last edited:
The good thing about the alleged 97.1 transmitter site is that anything placed out there will be stolen very quickly and any broadcasting will be short-lived.

Stan, ever been to the KZZB tower site? it was moved there when Parkdale Mall was built and the two tower array then had to move....the current location is a mudhole and a half...even after LONG dry spells, its wet due to the river being so close....the 48lb night crawler mosquitoes are there to suck every last pound of blood out of a body...990 has never gotten its ground system fixed and thus cannot even cover Beaumont at night while it used to cover BMT, PA, and ORG all the time before the ground system fiasco....only one road to the tower site and you can't drive up to it because of a gate...walking to it means long pants, mosquito repellent and preferably a full body suit ;) LUCKILY you can see the towers further down the road and the height, etc shown in the apps and license to cover do not show any antenna on the tower....would not be the 1st time this has happened..

On the case don't expect much
Really? Another member of this board documented violations with videos on YouTube that have been forwarded to the FCC. Steve Lee doesn't care. Unless youve got enough pull to get Loyd Perry moving,

Steve does care....I have known him since high school.......and I know several high placed folks in the EB in DC......Vidoes on YouTugbe are not accepted as sworn statements...I sign mine and file via Form 2000E unless told otherwise...It gets the job done

Stan, ever been to the KZZB tower site? it was moved there when Parkdale Mall was built and the two tower array then had to move....the current location is a mudhole and a half...even after LONG dry spells, its wet due to the river being so close....the 48lb night crawler mosquitoes are there to suck every last pound of blood out of a body...990 has never gotten its ground system fixed and thus cannot even cover Beaumont at night while it used to cover BMT, PA, and ORG all the time before the ground system fiasco....only one road to the tower site and you can't drive up to it because of a gate...walking to it means long pants, mosquito repellent and preferably a full body suit ;) LUCKILY you can see the towers further down the road and the height, etc shown in the apps and license to cover do not show any antenna on the tower....would not be the 1st time this has happened..

I know where their current site is and where the old KALO site was across from the mall.

The neighborhood leading up to the current site is not good. I'm surprised the current site hasn't been stripped of any copper available.

I plotted the coordinates and it looks like there's a tower and antenna for 97.1 K246CF. See pics... Is this the right one?

fghfhdzghzcg.JPG

11111111.JPG

Try again....that is 990 KZZBs tower site (which is where the translator was supposed to move to from McBride'a tower aka:the old KLVI STL tower, that also had the NWS on it and fell during Rita)....it USED to have a FM antenna on it for 95.1....but its been gone for some time.....the antenna filed for 97.1 would be a yagi, NOT an omni directional FM....last time I was there was AFTER E-String filed the false information concerning the isocoupler and antenna...and KTHT was nice and clear right there...Guess I'll make a trip out later Sunday with camera in hand and audio recorder....

Legal name or not, your filing on KVDO was illegal because you were never the licensee period....ONLY the FCC licensee can file legal address change, resumption of operations, etc paperwork. End of story

It CAN rebroadcast an LPFM and would nicely compliment the current coverage CypressRadio!

Does anyone know if this translator can be upgraded?

Last edited:
Can you believe that KPFT is asking $12K a month for the soon-to-be-vacated KRTU on HD2?

It's worth what someone will pay for it. Capitalism does exist, although barely, at Pacifica.

BTW I notice that KPFT HD-3 is back on after having gone missing, but I didn't listen long enough to determine what the programming is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom