• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Shortwave Broadcaster

Icangelp

Star Participant
Some of you may know this already, but a new shortwave exclusive broadcaster will start broadcasting on October 31, at 7:00PM Eastern. Looks like they will cover most of the United States and Canada with a very strong signal.

Global 24 programming will include news and entertainment and, and as I understand it will use WRMI's transmitters and antennas in Okeechobee, Florida. If I remember correctly, the Okeechobee sit was originally built by WNYW (WRUL).

More here: http://global24radio.com/

Some of you may know this already, but a new shortwave exclusive broadcaster will start broadcasting on October 31, at 7:00PM Eastern. Looks like they will cover most of the United States and Canada with a very strong signal.
[/URL]

I don't suppose that anyone at the FCC even cares any more that it is not permitted to use shortwave to cover the domestic market in the US. If the Okeechobee facility of WRMI does broadcast with the intent of being listened to in the US, it is violating FCC rules. Of course, finding anyone with a shortwave radio may be harder than finding an FCC employee who cares.

I didn't know about this. It will give me a reason to get out my Grundig G8 again, as I haven't listened to shortwave in almost a couple years.

Since I'm about 150 miles from their transmitter, I wonder what kind of signal I will get day vs. night.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read a post a while back where someone in Colorado said WWV had a weak signal because it was too close for a decent skywave skip.

I seem to recall that the law against domestic shortwave broadcasting was eliminated, but the VOA was prohibited (by their charter) to broadcast to a US audience. Maybe that one is gone, too?

It'll be interesting to see what they broadcast, though. I wonder if it will be a lot like WNYW was.

Somebody (Jeff White?) seems to have a lot of moldy money to burn. I can't imagine this operation turning a profit.

Any shortwave operation depending on ad sales will be short lived. The audience is too tiny for any potential client to spend serious money for spots. I expect Global 24 Radio will quickly flop, or will morph into brokered programming like most of the other U.S. private SW stations.

Yes, U.S. shortwave stations are supposedly forbidden from targeting listeners within the country, but that is the de facto reality with WWCR, WWRB, WTWW, WBCQ, and others.

BTW, the Okeechobee site for WRMI was built by Family Radio in the 1970's under the WYFR call sign. There are some transmitters still in operation that made the move from the old site in Scituate, Massachusetts that was used by predecessors WNYW and WRUL.

With Jeff White selling time on all those transmitters I would think that airtime rates for U.S. private SW stations are being pushed down.

I certainly look forward to having this on (or back...depending on how you want to look at it). But I can't say as I understand what the business model would be.

I seem to recall that the law against domestic shortwave broadcasting was eliminated, but the VOA was prohibited (by their charter) to broadcast to a US audience. Maybe that one is gone, too?

It'll be interesting to see what they broadcast, though. I wonder if it will be a lot like WNYW was.

Nope...FCC rules still prohibit US SW stations from broadcasting to a US audience....it has not been changed.

I didn't know about this. It will give me a reason to get out my Grundig G8 again, as I haven't listened to shortwave in almost a couple years.

Since I'm about 150 miles from their transmitter, I wonder what kind of signal I will get day vs. night.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read a post a while back where someone in Colorado said WWV had a weak signal because it was too close for a decent skywave skip.

Depends on which freq...the 2.5 has good groundwave coverage over CO..

I wish the new station well. Millions of SW radios in the U.S., probably just a few thousands of listeners....

Does anyone know how many active SW listeners there actually are in the U.S. and Canada?

RE: legality: I was under the impression that the US domestic SW broadcasters were officially broadcasting to Canada.

I remember KUSW doing a rock format on SW in the '80s. Most of the listeners they mentioned on-air were from the U.S. Heck, I was one of them! Of course, corralling advertisers was always going to be a problem and the station was quickly sold to Trinity Broadcasting and became KTBN.

Who can say how many SWLs remain in this country? The number must be tiny, given that the most entertaining international broadcasters (BBC, Radio Netherlands, Voice of Russia, etc.) have all either left SW or aren't targeting North America anymore. All anyone has to go on is the number of multiband radios sold in the past two or three decades. But no one knows how many of those receivers have broken down, been thrown away, or just aren't being used anymore. I've got a couple of them, but I only use one these days and that's only for occasional wee-hours ham band entertainment.

Last edited:
Maybe we should pass the word about this new station, and get people in our communities excited enough to...at least.....give it a try and send in a reception report.
If they will QSL, maybe we could get a bit of a "guesstimate" of how many people have some sort of shortwave capability available to them.

Write a little piece for your community newspaper, talk it up at work, say something in your blog................

Hopefully, the project is backed by a many times over billionaire who doesn't care about making money, and just loves shortwave listening.

It's one of you guys, isn't it?

Jeff White has been at this off and on since the 80s or before. I remember him leasing time on the Dominican Republic's "Radio Clarin" on 4850 for his "The World", and teaming up with Rudy Espinal to round out the hour with a carribean flavored show. Espinal had previously been doing an English language DR tourism show on Radio Clarin. He's making money somewhere, or someone's throwing money at him. I imagine the listener base will be similar to the revived PCJ-Happy Station (people who were SWLs in the 70s)

It will not be possible to hear the station on shortwave from the studio building in Hollywood, FL: too far for groundwave, too close for skywave, and in the wrong direction. I will not hear them in Miami unless two things happen: they add a tropical band frequency beamed to the Caribbean, and I get a new receiver.

It will not be possible to hear the station on shortwave from the studio building in Hollywood, FL: too far for groundwave, too close for skywave, and in the wrong direction. I will not hear them in Miami unless two things happen: they add a tropical band frequency beamed to the Caribbean, and I get a new receiver.

Has the FCC ever licensed a tropical band station?

I would assume that they have not since tropical band stations are intended for local and regional coverage, which is proscribed in the rules.

WRMI broadcasts Brother Stair, or at least did for awhile, on 5015 KHz at night. WWCR and WWRB both have signals at night in the 90/60M bands also.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom