• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KXDA finally finds a real tower

JHBrandt

Star Participant
KXDA is one of those Hispanic church-owned stations licensed to broadcast in the DFW area that AFAIK has never actually been on the air. For the past year or so, their license specified a 10-meter (33-foot) high "placeholder" antenna somewhere around the Allen Premium Outlets mall, which I never could find - and even if it did exist, wasn't a lot higher than my own home's TV antenna :rolleyes:

Well, that has finally changed as KXDA has applied for a construction permit to broadcast from a small, but real, tower in Garland near Jupiter Rd. and Forest Lane. If approved, their coverage area would stretch from downtown Ft. Worth all the way to Greenville. (Too bad I have no interest in their likely programming fare.)

The original tower for what is now KUVN was located somewhere in that area IIRC...this would have been in the KIAB days 1986-88. Wonder if this tower is the same one? Memory is fuzzy on that.

KUVN's original tower was a 500ft at the studios in Garland.....when they got to move to Cedar Hill, they moved their studios downtown....wondered if the tower was still standing?? IF KXDA was not on the air, why didnt someone file against them? The FCC office in Dallas could have easily monitored the freq to see if they were on the air ever....and pulled an inspection...that would have ended up costing them the license..
A religious broadcaster LYING??? NO, that doesn't happen!!! :rolleyes:

The original tower for what is now KUVN was located somewhere in that area IIRC...this would have been in the KIAB days 1986-88. Wonder if this tower is the same one?

It pretty much has to be the old KUVN tower near Jupiter/Forest. There isn't really anything else in the vicinity of that intersection that would put out a signal strong enough to get across the street.

It is definitely the old KUVN tower on Marquis Drive in Garland. I remember watching that tower being built. I also recall when they first started testing the transmitter for KIAB back in 1985. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see another lame religious broadcaster begging for money instead of a traditional independent station. That lasted a couple of year until they went with a home shopping channel. I remember that because it went our if business and had a "going out of business" sale shortly before Univision took over that channel in 1988. I remember stopping on the channel one afternoon because the sales lady was crying. She was having an on air breakdown while her co-host consoled her during the final day of the sale. Next day it was Spanish language. (Can't recall if it was called Univision yet, but I think so)

Could look up coordinates via ASR and see who the owner is....The CE of Univision TV is a good friend of mine...

Last edited:
The old KUVN analog is at 3710 Marquis Drive, Garland. The ASR 1053688 is registered to Texas CellNet in Van, TX.

They are now broadcasting. RF 5, virtual channels 41.1-41.5. .1 & .5 have Spanish religious content as you'd expect; .2 thru .4 are color bars.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom