• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No Dierdorf for MSU Game Broadcast

umfan

Star Participant
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...0/22/michigan-football-dan-dierdorf/17749253/

Okay, I get that he likely scheduled this procedure right after the last broadcast expecting that he'd be able to recover through the bye week and be ready to go, but he's not. For the biggest game on the schedule thus far this season for Michigan. I hope this is nothing serious, but it's fair to question his commitment to this job.

I stress that I have zero idea why he had this procedure. Obviously if it was a threat to his health, my remark above doesn't apply, but if it was something that could be scheduled, it makes that less likely.

They did say it was some sort of "emergency" so I take that to mean it was not scheduled.

As for the game....I doubt it will be that big a deal outside Ann Arbor and where-ever-it-is-that-other-team-plays. MSU is on a roll this year and my Dear Old Mother's favorite school is about to go down in flames.

Some times recovery just takes longer than anticipated. I know a guy who just had a valve replacement. Pretty basic surgery, and they aim to get you on your feet and back to work in a week. He was out for a month.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...0/22/michigan-football-dan-dierdorf/17749253/

Okay, I get that he likely scheduled this procedure right after the last broadcast expecting that he'd be able to recover through the bye week and be ready to go, but he's not. For the biggest game on the schedule thus far this season for Michigan. I hope this is nothing serious, but it's fair to question his commitment to this job.
No, it really isn't.
Dierrdorf has had knee problems, and previous surgeries, over the years. He took this job because the cross-country travel for the NFL was getting to be too much for him, and UM games allow him not to completely retire from broadcasting, as well as make shorter road trips. This was the first game he missed all year.

More evidence of what playing football does to people, affecting their health for life. It even happens to those who don't play past high school or Pop Warner, let alone major college or NFL.

Notice the bias in the headline: "The MSU Game" Apparently, fan does not realize - or chooses not to recognize - that for many people this is "The Michigan Game." And for an even large number with no interest in either, the name of both teams should be used, which is standard media practice. Typical U of M arrogance. It's not just Fan, it's the culture of the place. They insist on calling WUOM "Michigan Radio" like they are the one and only public radio station in Michigan and serve the entire state.

And there's the hypocrisy factor: This school hires a dumb jock from St. Louis to be their voice. Before that, a right-wing talk show host who spends the rest of the week stirring up the crazies in the Great Unwashed. And yet they talk about "academic excellence."

I have a knee that bothers me from time to time after having injured it in high school football practice. I have trouble walking because of a back injury suffered racing motorcycles. Wear and tear are nothing new for those of us who refuse to sit on the sidelines of life. It is simply the price one pays for getting down and dirty.

As for the arrogance of UofM - goes with the territory. Many major universities have that same problem. Look at the instances of vandalism committed in the name of "Old P.U.". THE Ohio State University. NBC's fawning over Notre Dame, the most highly overrated university football program in the USA year after year. The "Civil War" in Oregon or "The Game" between Cal and Stanford (and their famous battles between the bands).

Many of these so-called "traditions" were at first nothing more than marketing efforts to drum up fan interest and attendance (and recruiting). The fact remains that the majority of these schools (not you, North Carolina) are still very good academically and although the publicity for their athletic programs now overshadows their academic achievements these days it does not detract from it.

As they say....."follow the money". Boosters love a winning team more than anything.

Final score:

Michigan State Spartans - 35
Michigan Gluttons, aka Skunk Bears - 11

Money goes to East Lansing.

Die, you scum.

Alma mater of Gerry Ford.
Who couldn't fart and chew gum at the same time...from playing football without his helmet.
Pardoned Nixon.

Alma mater of Gerry Ford. Who couldn't fart and chew gum at the same time...from playing football without his helmet.

It might surprise you to know that Gerry Ford was an all-state center during his time at South High School in Grand Rapids, MI and I know that because my grandfather was their team doctor and he was a regular at their Sunday afternoon team dinners. In fact, Ford was a multi-sport letterman. He went on to Michigan and played football there as well although interior linemen didn't get a lot of publicity in those days. He caught hell from haters when he bumped his head on the helo but that could have happened to anyone - and, it was 50 years after his playing days. He may not have been everyone's favorite politician but he was no slouch as an athlete.

He caught hell when he pardoned Nixon.
He made Chevy Chase's career when he bumped his head on the helo.

He caught hell when he pardoned Nixon.

Fascinating show on PBS with Dick Cavett & Watergate., He played his interview with Ford that changed his mind about the pardon. In it, Ford said that the courts had ruled that accepting a pardon was the same as admitting guilt.

Ford was a nice guy, and very popular in Washington. His wife went on to found a clinic that has done immeasurable good for addicts. She did a lot more than Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign.

What political act cost Harry Truman his career? He is more popular now than ever; historians consistently rank him among the greatest presidents. Unlike Gerry Ford.

And you consider playing a stupid, violent game "not sitting on the sidelines of life?" Football is not something that matters. And jocks get a free pass on things that do matter. They go to school and manage to avoid studying, taking tests or having to learn anything. Even with all that, most fail to graduate. And schools and legal authorities look the other way when they commit crimes. Jocks have get out of jail free cards - just like Gerry gave to Tricky Dick (UNC Law School).

You live a painful life and you consider that a valuable accomplishment and you want to pass that experience onto others? That's sick. And it's the kind of thinking organized sports teaches professional, usually not too bright, young jocks.

Last edited:
What political act cost Harry Truman his career? He is more popular now than ever; historians consistently rank him among the greatest presidents. Unlike Gerry Ford.

You are a speed reader, right? I say that because you consistently miss points people make.

Harry Truman fired Gen. Douglas MacArthur and in doing so re-established civilian control over the military but put his re-election chances in the crapper. I don't personally know why Dougout Doug was so popular, probably because he always employed a whole staff of yes-men to keep his "achievements" in the press but he erred big time when he shot off his big mouth about taking the war (Korean) to the Chinese with nuclear weapons. Truman had previously told him to shut up and he didn't so HST fired him.

And yes, Truman is now seen as a good president but in the early 1950's he was loathed. Then again, look who we have to compare him with.

And you consider playing a stupid, violent game "not sitting on the sidelines of life?" Football is not something that matters. And jocks get a free pass on things that do matter. They go to school and manage to avoid studying, taking tests or having to learn anything. Even with all that, most fail to graduate. And schools and legal authorities look the other way when they commit crimes. Jocks have get out of jail free cards - just like Gerry gave to Tricky Dick (UNC Law School).

You are entitled to an opinion but it isn't shared by a majority of your countrymen. Football, from Pop Warner through the NFL, is the most popular sport in the country and has been for decades. And you are confusing high schoolers, college players and professionals with your blanket statement. I played when there were no passes. My son played 30 years later and he got no breaks either. I cannot speak for college players but that isn't my problem either.....or yours. If you don't like football then don't watch it. And apparently you don't get out much or you would have read the almost constant reports of bad player conduct and the penalties issued. Just two days ago North Carolina University was plastered all over the news about a major cheating scandal and that is going to have huge ramifications across the NCAA.

As for Gerry and Tricky Dicky - Although I didn't agree with the decision at the time I can understand why Ford pardoned Nixon (even though, at that time he hadn't been convicted of anything in court or Congress). A Congressional impeachment would have totally disrupted the country at a time when we could ill afford it and introduced the divisiveness as Baby Bush did during his fiasco.

You live a painful life and you consider that a valuable accomplishment and you want to pass that experience onto others? That's sick. And it's the kind of thinking organized sports teaches professional, usually not too bright, young jocks.

First, I never said my life was an accomplishment of any kind although I am pretty happy how it has turned out so far.

Second, I never "passed" my experiences on to others or even suggested they try to live my life.

Third, I made my own decisions and took the joy and the disappointments along the way. I really doubt I would have done it any other way should I have the opportunity.

And fourth, it has occurred to me that you almost constantly troll these boards with nothing but negativity and criticism. I could question you on your purposes for logging on with nothing constructive to offer. I have never done this before but I am convinced you will add nothing to my enjoyment of these boards so effective immediately I am blocking your posts and you can whistle in the wind or whatever it is that you do for excitement.

There are only two appropriate responses to FredLeonard...and only one is appropriate for this board. So, perhaps if we just ignore him, it won't be necessary for him to be told to go smoke a turd.
Oops.

Tuna: If you are going to judge the validity of things by counting how many people like it, then the corrupted form of Rugby known as "football" in the US loses. A lot more people in the world love real "football" (aka "Soccer"). The fact that so-called "American football" is so popular in the US just proves what a sick country this is and why the world is right to hate it.

The issue was not the impeachment of Tricky Dick. He'd resigned. The issue was whether he would be tried for his crimes and punished for them. The people who followed his orders went to jail. He escapes responsibility. All because some dumb, corrupt jock made deal to pardon before being appointed vice president. Dumb and corrupt: Those are the qualities football teaches. No wonder the right loves it.

Harry Truman made up his mind not to seek a third term separate from MacArthur. His chances for a third term were far better than his chances for a second. MacArthur may have been popular with the right; the grunts who served under him hated and there were a whole lot of them in 1952. Add to that the former bonus marchers, their fathers and uncles.

Tuna, apparently you only consider "constructive" that with which you agree. I say, shut down the NCAA. That's what I offer constructive.

NPR did a story on the major hospitals with the highest rates of infections (and patient deaths). And among those at the top of the list: The University of Michigan Medical Center.

Truman would've been trounced by Ike had he sought a third term. lantuna accurately depicted the unpopularity of Truman at the time. His firing of MacArthur was indeed courageous and highly unpopular.

I did state in my initial post that if this genuinely was an emergency, then I wasn't offering criticism, but the comment that 'this is the first game he missed all year' is off the mark. It's 12 dates in the regular season and a possible bowl game for a significant sum of money.

Oh, and Fred, since I was referring to the Michigan broadcast team, referring to the game as the 'MSU Game' was appropriate.

I'm sure Gerry Ford's descendants will be very broken up of your criticism of him, considering the great amount of success you've achieved, as compared to him, in your lifetime.

The fact remains that the majority of these schools (not you, North Carolina) are still very good academically and although the publicity for their athletic programs now overshadows their academic achievements these days it does not detract from it.

Not you University of Michigan, either. They have had their own scandal about fake paper classes and bogus grades for jocks.

Big time college sports are inherently corrupt. Jocks are inherently dumb and couldn't make it in any legitimate undergraduate program without cheating. Cheating and obedience is what sports teach.

Fan, not alum: Had you bothered to study history, you would have known that Ike had made it clear to both parties on several occasions that he would not run against Truman, his commander in chief.

You won't cite that Fred, because you cannot.

Ike had effectively retired by then and was the President of Columbia University. He certainly would've run against Truman and, uncharacteristically for him, was not very respectful toward him at his inaguration.

You further won't document any scandal about Michigan academics either because evidence of that doesn't exist.

Back on topic, while i hope Dierdorf is recovering well, if his health is such that he cannot make it to a game this big in his first season on the job, than perhaps he should retire at the end of the season.

I do like him as a player and broadcaster. I don't know him, but he seems like a fine fellow and I think he's been great when he's broadcasted this season.

I don't know how many, if any, games Beckmann missed over his 30 year career.

You won't cite that Fred, because you cannot.

Ike had effectively retired by then and was the President of Columbia University. He certainly would've run against Truman and, uncharacteristically for him, was not very respectful toward him at his inaguration.

You further won't document any scandal about Michigan academics either because evidence of that doesn't exist.

Back on topic, while i hope Dierdorf is recovering well, if his health is such that he cannot make it to a game this big in his first season on the job, than perhaps he should retire at the end of the season.

I do like him as a player and broadcaster. I don't know him, but he seems like a fine fellow and I think he's been great when he's broadcasted this season.

I don't know how many, if any, games Beckmann missed over his 30 year career.

Fan, not alum: Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. All sorts of thing you don't know about.

For instance, Ike returned to active duty as supreme commander of NATO in 1951. He had declined to run against Truman in 1948 and by the time Ike was considering a run in 1952, Truman had already opted out of the race. Ike actually came into the race to run against Taft and other isolationists in the Republican Party. The Democrats really didn't have a viable candidate and Ike was worried that the conservative wing of the party would capture the White House. Ike's candidacy was pushed and back by the moderate, Eastern Establishment, Wall Street wing of the party that had backed Dewey. That branch of the party really doesn't exist any more, thanks to Goldwater and later Nixon.

NPR in their story on the UNC cheating scandal last week, cited earlier, similar scandals at Auburn and - drum roll - the University of Michigan. Jail to the victors.

You keep asking for citations. Possibly you are one of those jocks who always had somebody doing their homework for them.

Maybe Dierdorf wants to stay in St. Louis to show support for his cop buddies in Fulton.

No Fred, I just know enough to call BS when someone states something and cannot back it up. I could care less what you write or think, but would at least consider some of your points if you bothered to support them.

Why mention cops in Fulton, Fred? I think you mean Ferguson, but then, you couldn't have made such an error now, could you have?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom