• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HOT 105 possible new format...

U

Unregistered

Montgomery's HOT 105 (105.7) needs to change. It's Hip Hop & R&B format is all taken by it's sister station, Magic 97.1. It should go Mainstream Hip Hop. Meanwhile Halejuleiah (can't spell it right :() stays, because of Montgomery's African American population. For iHeart's Hot 105.7, I think it should take away most of it's Hip Hop music and most of it's R&B hits, so it can go Mainstream Top 40. Doesn't it's call letters and name fit best for 105.7. HOT 105.7 is like a Top 40 station, so why not switch it to a Pop station. It's finally time that Y102 needed some competition... Some people want more music on HOT 105.7 that Y102 dosen't play. Currently, Y102 is Montgomery's Only Pop Station, so it's time Montgomery had some Pop format competition. What do you think? Should HOT 105 "ditch" Hip Hop and R&B and go fully Mainstream Pop to compete with Y102? Also, 105.7 would play new music first that is not on Y102. :) It should have some Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Meghan Trainor, Gwen Stefani, Taylor Swift, etc.

Isn't Hot 105 the #1 rated station in Montgomery? And isn't Y-102 4th, 5th, maybe even 6th? And considering that Hot 105's signal covers Montgomery, Auburn, Dothan, Troy, and just about all of SE Alabama and parts of SW Georgia, this suggestion is just short of absurd.

Isn't Hot 105 the #1 rated station in Montgomery? And isn't Y-102 4th, 5th, maybe even 6th? And considering that Hot 105's signal covers Montgomery, Auburn, Dothan, Troy, and just about all of SE Alabama and parts of SW Georgia, this suggestion is just short of absurd.

It does have a big signal, more bigger than any station in the area. And actually, Hot 105 isn't #1 rated, it's the runner up :(. It's sister Magic 97.1 is in #1, and beat 105.7 in the spring after 105.7 and 97.1 were tied for 1st. I think it is the time for Montgomery to have a CHR/Top 40/Pop competition. Y102 vs HOT 105.7. And it's call letters, WZHT actually sounds like Pop sister 97.1 ZHT in SLC in Utah. ;)

It could also not only give Y102 some competition, it could also give 106.7 KMX in Dothan competition from iHeartMedia.

It does have a big signal, more bigger than any station in the area. And actually, Hot 105 isn't #1 rated, it's the runner up :(. It's sister Magic 97.1 is in #1, and beat 105.7 in the spring after 105.7 and 97.1 were tied for 1st. I think it is the time for Montgomery to have a CHR/Top 40/Pop competition. Y102 vs HOT 105.7. And it's call letters, WZHT actually sounds like Pop sister 97.1 ZHT in SLC in Utah. ;)

You would be wrong to say 105.7 has the best signal. The best signal is 98.9 WBAM which can even be picked up in NE Mississippi in the right conditions. The second best is WLWI 92.3.

But why not change formats from Rap/R&B to Mainstream Pop to compete with Y102 in Montgomery and 107 KMX in Dothan? It sounds like KZHT in Salt Lake City.

I checked RadioLocator and saw it's construction permit is like this, but it's main signal is near Montgomery itself than WBAM and WZHT's transmitter. Besides, isn't WBAM and HOT 105's transmitter is in the same location? But I checked Radio-Locator and saw that 105.7's signal is bigger than 98.9's, hence HOT 105's slogan "The Station You Hear Everywhere". :)

Actually, 105.7's signal is the best when looking at service contour radius. They have the largest radius of the three stations in question. WBAM and WZHT are both on the same tower (if I'm not mistaken) or at least in the same area as each other. All three are 100,000 watts, but the difference in tower height is the key. WBAM has a height of 299 meters HAAT, and WZHT is 558 meters HAAT. Significant difference there. A HAAT of 558 is very impressive I might add. WLWI is closer with a height of 494.8 meters HAAT. Their tower is further west than the other two though so their contour coverage area is a little different. Being 100,000 watts though, I wouldn't turn down any of them lol. You can compare the maps on radio-locator.com, recnet.com, or the fcc website. It always help me to see a map over just looking at the number specs.

Actually, 105.7's signal is the best when looking at service contour radius. They have the largest radius of the three stations in question. WBAM and WZHT are both on the same tower (if I'm not mistaken) or at least in the same area as each other. All three are 100,000 watts, but the difference in tower height is the key. WBAM has a height of 299 meters HAAT, and WZHT is 558 meters HAAT. Significant difference there. A HAAT of 558 is very impressive I might add. WLWI is closer with a height of 494.8 meters HAAT. Their tower is further west than the other two though so their contour coverage area is a little different. Being 100,000 watts though, I wouldn't turn down any of them lol. You can compare the maps on radio-locator.com, recnet.com, or the fcc website. It always help me to see a map over just looking at the number specs.

I have never picked up this 105.7 in north Mississippi. I have picked up 105.7 The Quake WQAK out of Kentucky before ( only in the right conditions ). The only station out of Montgomery I have picked up in north Mississippi before is WBAM 98.9. This is why I am saying they are the strongest.

I'm not sure if WZHT is still #1 in Montgomery, but it is definitely in the top 3 stations there. For Hot 105.7 to go with another format....it would be suicide, IMO.

Hot 105 has only been around since July the 3rd 1988. They've been at the top of their game, since coming on.

Dan <><

Last edited:
Yeah, you don't flip a top 3 station (even if it's 12+ which is meaningless) because there's money in them thar hills.

And WZHT is not just Montgomery's biggest signal but most likely the biggest in the state now that 102.5 up in B'ham no longer broadcasts from the Tuscaloosa tall tower.

Back before Sunny 105.7 came on out of Orange Beach, the Montgomery signal was a regular here in Baldwin County and in Pensacola just about every summer night.

If Hot 105 is in the Top 3, then who should flip to become a top 40 format and compete with Y102 and/or KMX? :D It should not be another Cumulus station, rivals can't be rivals with a sister station. Example, Magic 97 dosen't compete with HOT 105 as they are sister stations.

If Hot 105 is in the Top 3, then who should flip to become a top 40 format and compete with Y102 and/or KMX? :D It should not be another Cumulus station, rivals can't be rivals with a sister station. Example, Magic 97 dosen't compete with HOT 105 as they are sister stations.

To be fair and Honest, Hot 105 and magic 97.1 are playing nearly the same thing,
so is Y102 and it's sister station, Mix 103.3. since the brand tweak a few years ago,
Mix 103 has been playing more and ore pop hits that also play on Y102,
the only difference is that Mix does not play any top 40 rock or hip hop.

Now, the Question is will WZHT flip?? the answer is No!
As long as WZHT remains in the top 3, there will not be any chance of a format change.

These are my format predictions

- WLWI 92.3 : Before the end of the year, will become a Nash station (it's coming, time is the factor)

- WACV 93.1, without FM competition, will remain the city's talk leader, though it's lack of balance locally, driving many back to AM 1440

- WXFX 95.1 Will eventually evolve to compete with 104.9 The Gump (how embarrassing that you competition is an am station with an fm translator??????)

- Q 96.1: between this, Lite 100.5 and The Vault, Bluewater has the safe formats on lock down.

- 97,9 jamz: Since updating their logo in 2012, this station has consistently been kicking ass, Talented staff, heavily involved with the community.

- The Vault: this station should flip with 96.1 or just completely merge, as even with the best radio money can buy, the signal is poor unless you live in forest hills.

it's sad that 10 years ago, Montgomery lost an actual true y102 competitor when bluewater came to town and killed Star 98.9, a station that had so much potential, but never given the true chance to shine.

these are just my thoughts and observation, but what the hell do i know???

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom