• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should I Get A New Copy Of This CD Or Not

I ask this, because I was thinking about playing it over Jesus Radio. http://www.amazon.com/Hymns-Praise-...id=1414029163&sr=1-14&keywords=Savannah+Choir Now when you visit the link, click on the first picture in customer images. Pay attention to track number 9.

Dan <><

P.S. I owned a copy of this CD. Got rid of it, because of that one song featured. I found it offensive to have a George Harrison song, on a Hymns CD. Still think it's wrong for a Christian based CD to have anything from him on it.

Last edited:
If you're so narrow minded that you have to ask, then the answer is "No, you shouldn't".

Want to make sure the songs I play are Biblically based. The CD was beautiful. However I took offense with My Sweet Lord being on it. When I first got that CD, I though this song was going to be something new. Didn't even think it would be a George Harrison Instrumental remake.

Dan <><

Want to make sure the songs I play are Biblically based.

That's what I mean about being "narrow minded". And I say that as a Christian who, for several years, was a preacher.

A lot depends on the version and the commitment of the artist doing it. Leon Patillo did a version of My Sweet Lord on one of his early albums, and he dropped all the Hare Krishna references and replaced them with Jesus' name. I haven't heard any newer CCM artists try to do a version of it, but if it was done in that context I think it would be OK. But if the artist singing it wasn't a committed Christian and especially if the Hare Krishna references were left in I'd avoid it.

There are other examples where Christian artists have reworked "spiritual" songs by secular artists to where they had a version with a Christian message. DC Talk did versions of Lean on Me, Spirit in the Sky and Jesus is Just Alright, DeGarmo and Key did a version of Are You Ready, and Phil Keaggy and Rez Band have done versions of Presence of the Lord, and that's just a start! As long as they're done in the right way where the Christian message is clear and there aren't any other questionable lyrics I don't see anything wrong with it. :cool:

In looking at the album on the Amazon link this looks like it might have been thrown together by someone with no knowledge of the history behind the song. It reminded me this video that has been brought up in other threads where Lawrence Welk thought this was a spiritual song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkCaAnIcDWw :eek: :rolleyes: I also thought it was funny that the next song after My Sweet Lord was Give Me That Old Time Religion! :confused:

All jokes aside, if you feel uncomfortable over listening to this CD then don't.

Last edited:
Hare Krishna on a Christian album, and pot smokers from the Buddha label on Larry Welk. Interesting tuk tuk ride.

Have you secured the minimum estimate of $10,000 to 12,000 needed to build your radio station?

Do you have a signed agreement with the owner of your tower site granting you space in their transmitter building and on their tower, along with your transmitter and antenna ready for installation?

Do you have your studio equipment ready for installation? Can you tell us how your studio audio will reach the transmitter site?

Do you have a qualified engineer to build out your technical plant?

If the answer to any of those questions is no, then whether or not you play music from this CD is irrelevant. You need to be working on other, clearly more important aspects of getting your radio station on the air.

By the way, if you knew the history of the song in question, you'd be more concerned about whether or not you want to play a song written by Ronald Mack and recorded by the Chiffons.

Last edited:
"One Toke Over The Line" by Brewer and Shipley was on Kama Sutra Records, although they were distributed by Buddah.

Go with your gut - and if your heart is surrendered to Christ you should be OK. I had no problems playing some of the remakes mentioned above. You have to be careful with remakes - they are seldom as good as the original.

I would remind readers here that many of the classical hymns and Christmas Carols were "remakes" of older songs. "What Child Is This" was a remake of "Greensleeves", which some people believe was written by mass wife murderer Henry III. Other hymns were remakes of bar drinking songs, etc.

I think it would be a mistake to assume a melody itself is inherently evil - or you will add fuel to the Christian rock critics who allege that some songs are recognized as evil by African tribes, etc. I'd love to turn Snopes loose on some of those allegations!

Thanks for the response, Mr. Bruce. I appreciate it.

Dan <><

P.S. Now trying to secure some broadcasting equipment, as I post this. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Care to tell how the fund raising is going? How many people have you met with? Any real cash in the bank? Better than the last time someone asked, I hope.

Where's that website and Facebook page?

1. Things are picking up with the fund raising. More money is being donated. Also getting some musical donations for my growing library.
2. May get a free CD storage unit, from someone at my Church. Me and this person are in talks about it.
3. Trying now to secure some free broadcasting equipment. Have some contacts working on that.
4. Have a good bit of money in the bank. Plan on adding more, within the next few weeks.
5. Will work on a web presence, sometime between November and January.
6. Have a free stash of insulation, for the studio building, already in place. Will claim that donation, once I begin the building phase.
7. Some of my potential underwriters, are now helping me raise the money and obtain items needed for the building phase.
8. ...And yes, I'm passing out ads, I created, to help with my fundraising efforts.

Dan <><

Last edited:
So far, how many people have you met with face to face in your fundraising and development phase? Is that money in the bank from your personal savings or from funds already raised and marked for your radio station? What's your budget for your LPFM? What specific dollar amount is your goal and what percentage of that goal has been reached? Can you prioritize a list of the five things you need to get you closer to on the air?

Last edited:
Here's the short, sweet and simple of what's going on.

1. The money saved is from donations, I've been collecting. Most of these donations are from Selma. Some have been coming from out of town. Have a few of the posters, now expressing an interest in helping me secure more money. Hope they can come through.
2. Trying now to fish for a goal of around $10,000, so I can build this station and have it on, before May 2015. Have around 25% of that already raised. Hope to get more, over the next few weeks.
3. Working on getting a budget in place. Will finalize it, once I begin building things out.
4. Plan on having that meeting with the tower owner, soon as I begin building. He and I both felt it would be wise to begin building the studio, before we had it.
5. Been busy trying to become B.F.F. with the various radio station people here. Just became one with Mr. George Henry of Dixie Country Selma and Mr. Paul Alexander of ALEX FM Selma. Trying now to become B.F.F. with Mr. David Stewart of WMFC Monroeville Alabama and the management of WLBF in Montgomery Alabama. Been B.F.F. with the various posters here and Brother Rob Moore of Moody Radio South for years now.
6. Been meeting with many business owners and some local Pastors and told them about my plans.

Dan <><

P.S. All I need now is to (1) Obtain more money for the building phase and (2) Items I'll need for the studio and transmitter site. Thanks to God and my parents, I already have the studio building in place. It's parked next to my home here in Selma Alabama.

Last edited:
There is no offer. To create a business page, you need a personal page first. That requires a verification e-mail that I don't have. Thought to do it on a whim. The process doesn't take 30 seconds. But you need to do it yourself. As I said, good luck.

What fellowship has light with darkness - in connection with the original post?

What fellowship has light with darkness - in connection with the original post?

I understand your point, but I'll ask anyway...how does that apply here? Remember that with "My Sweet Lord," Harrison was found guilty of plagiarizing the Ronald Mack written Chiffons hit "He's So Fine." And we're talking about an instrumental in Dan Presley's case, no lyric content. So ultimately, is the question about a cover of a George Harrison song at all?

And consider that "light with darkness" issue in relationship to Sheila Walsh and her cover of Todd Rundgren's "Love is the Answer" or Mark Farner's solo cover with "redeemed" lyrics of his Grand Funk hit "Some Kind of Wonderful." Both the Walsh and Farner songs received extensive Christian radio airplay. There are many who consider that to be a time when a song stands independent of its writer - or perhaps I should say re-writer.

Dan Presley has to find the spiritual integrity to answer that question for himself. None of us can make the decision for him. And as I've said, with all he needs to do to launch his radio station, whether or not to spend a ten spot for a CD is a distraction keeping him from the work that he truly needs to focus on.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom