• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Disney-ABC Needs A Retro Diginet!

U

Unregistered

Okay, we all know that Saturday morning cartoons went away on September 27, 2014. (Anybody else miss 'em like me?)

And we also know that the current ABC subchannel, the Live Well Network, will be going off the air this January.

HOW COOL WOULD IT BE IF DISNEY-ABC DECIDED TO START A RETRO SUBCHANNEL IN THE LIKES OF NBC'S COZI, CBS'S DECADES, AND FOX'S MOVIES?

I mean, ABC itself isn't family-friendly despite Disney ownership: last year alone, ABC sure pulled a few NYPD Blues (reports of nudity in primetime, a Florida mom complaining about a network commercial, etc.) Plus, it seems Disney Channel will never recover from their stars' antics (t******g, anyone?), the TV news is getting more and more graphic (everything from beheadings to "body language," if you get my drift), most of the new movies this season are rated R, and not every family wants to use Netflix and are missing the rental store.

Disney-ABC should do a bit of good and give an alternate option, a family-friendly diginet. Do a hybrid of 80s/90s Disney Channel and 70s ABC! Air all things Disney from last century (movies like "Cinderella," "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea," "The Lion King," "The Santa Clause," etc.; cartoons like "DuckTales" and "Good Morning Mickey!") and play the old ABC Movies of the Week, reruns of Wide World of Sports, and whatever ABC classics AREN'T airing on any of the other diginets ("The Mod Squad," "Lancelot Link," "Dark Shadows," etc.)

Their E/I could be plentiful, and could include Mousercise, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bear in the Big Blue House, the 80s Winnie the Pooh cartoon, Dumbo's Circus, Welcome to Pooh Corner, etc. Also show True-Life adventures, Schoolhouse Rock, and old Epcot films for filler in-between E/I programs! That way, if ABC O&Os were to bring a weather or news channel to their -3 slot, that channel could be E/I free (ala channels 3-6 on ion O&Os thanks to qubo). This could be a benefit for non-ABC owned stations airing other subs as well (say, if this channel were paired up with Antenna TV, the latter could air an encore of the Sunday morning 60s schedule in lieu of the Saturday E/I).

Okay, because this idea is a little bit "out there," 150% of you (Ferris Bueller pun intended) will say "Ain't gonna happen. Cable, cancellations, and DCOMs are Disney's PERMANENT future." But still, could such a network happen? KBYU 11-2 in Utah airs some classic Disney live action, Bounce TV has played at least four Disney movies from the 1981-97 period, and Me-TV has Good Morning Miss Bliss/Saved By The Bell on Sunday mornings now, all without any "cease and desist" orders from Disney's cable mothership.

Would you still like to see Disney-ABC jump into the throwback machine? If so, find your local Live Well affiliate (list is on RabbitEars dot info) and write, write, write!

toonboy85

P.S. Please don't be harsh; I am a newbie here. ;-) (Still waiting on my confirm code for my account, hence the unregistered status.)

My sense is these digi-nets were great ideas that failed to make any money. They are like HD radio, program channels in search of an audience.

The Mod Squad (Spelling) and Lancelot Link (Worldvision) are owned by CBS, so they're out of the picture.
Mod Squad also aired this past summer on MeTV, which would imply that they have the national broadcast rights for a while.

What network should ABC replace The Live Well Network?

Okay, so what network should ABC launch to replace The Live Well Network? Should they launch a network similar to NBC's Cozi TV? Or should they launch a 24 hour weather channel like what NBC used to have before buying The Weather Channel in 2008? What do you guys think they should replace The Live Well Network with?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom