• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Marconi blown out already?

Roddybob

Frequent Participant
Haven't heard Marconi with Sheila in the morning this week, then heard PD Chris Mays with a recorded message saying that a change was being made, the listeners have spoken, and the Marconi "experiment" was a failure. he is not on the website anymore.....What's the deal? I thought they sounded great!

Judging by facebook (the kink page), it seems like he has not been very popular with his listeners. I never had the opportunity to listen to the whole show, so I really don't feel too strongly one way or the other about him, but he seemed fine during the times I listened.

There are probably enough KINK true to the music listeners from the last 10 years who couldn't stand him? Chris Mays seems pretty aggressive with the format. It's too bad KMTT went from a highly rated AAA station to a non-performer a few years ago.

There are probably enough KINK true to the music listeners from the last 10 years who couldn't stand him? Chris Mays seems pretty aggressive with the format. It's too bad KMTT went from a highly rated AAA station to a non-performer a few years ago.

They've been screwing up KINK these days, too. Its basically an alternative rock station now.

It still sounds like KINK to me and that is not Alternative.

They are learning towards artists like Lana Del Ray, Lorde, Alt-J, Phantogram, FUN., Imagine Dragons, Sam Smith, etc. Its more or less alternative pop/AC rather that AOR. I've been preferring K-103 to KINK as of recent. Not that I dislike KINK (because there is a ton of great music mixed in as well), I just don't care for those "pop-ish" artists.

I guess its all perspective.

Last edited:
They are learning towards artists like Lana Del Ray, Lorde, Alt-J, Phantogram, FUN., Imagine Dragons, Sam Smith, etc. Its more or less alternative pop/AC rather that AOR. I've been preferring K-103 to KINK as of recent. Not that I dislike KINK (because there is a ton of great music mixed in as well), I just don't care for those "pop-ish" artists.

I guess its all perspective.
KINK has its "roots" in Progressive Rock but they invented NAC and there's nothing "AOR" about that. This is not really my area but I'm pretty sure that these acts are consistent with those on other AAA stations.

KINK has its "roots" in Progressive Rock but they invented NAC and there's nothing "AOR" about that. This is not really my area but I'm pretty sure that these acts are consistent with those on other AAA stations.

That is true. However, I think most of us who remember Seattle's KMTT would attest to the fact that the music that classifies as "AAA" is not like it used to be. I tend to think that the acts that I listed belong on CHR or Alternative radio, while acts like The Avett Brothers, Vikki Martinez, Wake Owl, Little Hurricane, Lake Street Dive, etc all are true to the "AAA" format.

I don't blame KINK for changing it up a little. However, I can hear the same, over-modulated "Imagine Dragons" music on just about any radio station playing modern music. It's more or less annoying, but i'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the opposite way.

11/04/14 - Chris Mays, former Station Manager/PD at Seattle market KMTT-FM 103.7 (now KHTP-FM) and PD at KLSY-FM 92.5 (now KQMV-FM) has resigned her position at KINK-FM 101.9 Portland. She was with KMTT from 1991-2005 and with KLSY from 1981-90. Radio Online

I wonder if the failed Marconi hiring was what did Chris in. Who is going to want to work at a station where you move from Denver and in less than 8 weeks you get blown out? I'm not sure about Chris Mays track record. KMTT, the Mountain in Seattle, the original AAA station, is now a hot AC. The great KLLC, Alice in San Francisco, another AAA that she programmed after The Mountain, is also a Hot AC station. Is this what Portland can look forward to? Another Hot AC station?

Last edited:
I wonder if the failed Marconi hiring was what did Chris in. Who is going to want to work at a station where you move from Denver and in less than 8 weeks you get blown out? I'm not sure about Chris Mays track record. KMTT, the Mountain in Seattle, the original AAA station, is now a hot AC. The great KLLC, Alice in San Francisco, another AAA that she programmed after The Mountain, is also a Hot AC station. Is this what Portland can look forward to? Another Hot AC station?

I used to love KMTT (and when KMTT was a AAA radio station, I was completely unaware she was PD). Again, KINK has really changed since she became the PD, and I really don't think that many of the loyal listeners like it as much as they used to. I hope its not too late.

Ironically, the ratings for the old KMTT in Seattle were better than the new CHR format.

I don't know if she can be blamed for what happened after she left. Mays left KMTT long before it was thrashed. KINK probably will move(evolve) to something else down the road when the ratings reflect a shift.

I don't know if she can be blamed for what happened after she left. Mays left KMTT long before it was thrashed. KINK probably will move(evolve) to something else down the road when the ratings reflect a shift.

Unfortunately, AAA as a radio format just is not popular anymore. Having said that, radio stations that are strictly "alternative" seem to do just fine (which I don't really understand). I'm right in the prime age demographic to be listening to radio stations like KNRK or KNDD, but the music on either of those stations just strikes me the wrong way. I guess alternative music is growing in popularity, though (so much for being "alternative"?)

It seems to me that there was a three way swap of Program Directors, with KINK's PD going to KFOG, KFOG's PD going to KMTT and KMTT's PD, Chris Mays to KINK.

I wonder if 30-40's follow AAA when they age? It may be they go elsewhere, not that I don't like the AAA of the 80's or 90's, but you won't or are not likely to hear Karla Bonoff or Warren Zevon, Linda Ronstandt on current AAA stations anymore. These are who I heard on KINK and a few stations when the music mattered. But you know, it was AOR before it was AAA. I would say buy or download those artists if they matter because radio these days is not about , you. BTW. I go to Portland a lot and on Water St, near OMSI, I swear I see a vehicle with KINK graphics, driving by at the same time every Saturday afternoon.

I wonder if 30-40's follow AAA when they age? It may be they go elsewhere, not that I don't like the AAA of the 80's or 90's, but you won't or are not likely to hear Karla Bonoff or Warren Zevon, Linda Ronstandt on current AAA stations anymore. These are who I heard on KINK and a few stations when the music mattered. But you know, it was AOR before it was AAA. I would say buy or download those artists if they matter because radio these days is not about , you. BTW. I go to Portland a lot and on Water St, near OMSI, I swear I see a vehicle with KINK graphics, driving by at the same time every Saturday afternoon.

I think they would if KINK stuck to modern music that was also not played on CHR stations. Like I said before, music from "Imagine Dragons" isn't exactly the reason why I tune into KINK (not that I have something against that particular band). Interestingly, musical choice for older listeners on the Portland dial is rather limited. If you are not the type of individual who appreciates AAA music, KGON and KLTH are really your best bet.

I guess one of the employees has rights to the company car ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom