• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

93.9 WLCL sold to Union Broadcasting

I'm just in absolute shock that it didn't go to a religious broadcaster (at least not for now, I wouldn't count it out down the road). I thought Cumulus stated four years ago that they would only let go of 93.9 to a non-profit. Of course, it is disappointing (not really surprising though) that it will just be a simulcast of something that already exists on the AM dial, but it is nice that Cumulus is finally no longer holding 93.9 hostage.

I read the sales agreement last night and UB has signed a 4 year agreement with Westwood One to carry CBS Sports Radio on 93.9. What does this mean for Jim Rome and other CBS shows that are on WXVW 1450? And what about ESPN Radio? Will it continue on 680 and 105.7 WHBE? Lot's of questions that will be answered soon.

ESPN is likely, if not guaranteed, to continue on 680/105.7. Union has a good relationship with ESPN through WHB in Kansas City, and sports is about all they know. Union is one of the best in the business when it comes to sports radio and how to monetize it. Their previous experiences with other formats haven't fared nearly as well.

ESPN is likely, if not guaranteed, to continue on 680/105.7. Union has a good relationship with ESPN through WHB in Kansas City, and sports is about all they know. Union is one of the best in the business when it comes to sports radio and how to monetize it. Their previous experiences with other formats haven't fared nearly as well.

I'm thinking not. 93.9 and 105.7 combine to form a nice size FM footprint. They'll put the same thing on all 3 signals, increase local programming, and go to CBS Sportsradio when they aren't local.

I'm thinking not. 93.9 and 105.7 combine to form a nice size FM footprint. They'll put the same thing on all 3 signals, increase local programming, and go to CBS Sportsradio when they aren't local.

Zero chance they put the same thing on all 3 signals.

I am wondering when 93.9 will begin broadcasting. It would improve reception on the East End of Louisville where I live. I thought they were going to do an LMA before the sale went through. When 680 came on, it took a few weeks to transition from Radio Disney. After more than a month, the frequency is still silent, and the new frequency is not mentioned on the website.

I'm wondering too. I heard them on the air Tuesday evening this week around 7pm. They were playing ESPN-680 audio but it wasn't live because it didn't match what was on 680 or 105.7 at the time. And the audio level was at times really low, and at other times normal. So I'm not sure what they were up to there, but clearly they're working towards getting it on the air.

At about 7:15 they dropped off.

I guess that means they'll have it on soon.

I'm thinking maybe they will be on starting Monday which is December 1st.Since they are leasing the station until they buy it starting on the 1st of the month makes sense. I thought they would have begun on 93.9 before now because the U of L vs. UK football game is on Saturday.
BTW I hear John Ramsey on 680 every morning at 10 AM but he or his show is nowhere to be found on their website.

I caught them testing again yesterday afternoon. They were playing ESPN radio promos and a part of a ESPN show. Didn't last very long, but after punching out and punching back in later, I realized they were playing a loop again like they did several months ago.

This afternoon 93.9 was back on the air with ESPN Radio.They are still on tonight and they are running the live feed.Checked at 9 PM but there was no station ID.
Wonder if the station is back on for good now?

I don't know, but they really have been dragging their feet about getting back on the air, which is really unfortunate (but I'm sure there has to be some good reason for it). Considering that we're quickly approaching the end of the "prime months" for sports in Louisville, I figured they would be trying to get on the air as quickly as possible when it was announced they were being sold back in October.

It looks like WLCL is officially back on the air by the FCC as of yesterday:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...xt=25&appn=101668066&formid=910&fac_num=58380

Of course, they're still running ESPN as opposed to CBS Sports and although it is entirely possible that I've missed it, I haven't heard a single station identification on there whenever I've listened (it just goes to dead air at the top of every hour where that should be).
I have checked numerous times and I never hear a station ID.The audio always matches up with 680 (except for the local shows that are on 680) but sometimes the commercials are different on 93.9. and I'm not talking local spots. I just wonder how all three of the stations will match up in the future.You would think that the local shows would not stay on 680 / 105.7 and ESPN Radio be on 93.9 full time.
Looking at the FCC document it looks like the station license has not been transferred to Union Broadcasting yet so maybe Union is waiting for that before they straighten things out?

Today I started hearing some local commercials on 93.9 and a few mentioned ESPN 680/105.7 but I still have not heard a TOH station ID on 93.9

I finally heard a station ID today at 1:45 PM on 93.9. It was made by Andy Sweeney "WLCL Sellersburg is 93.9 The Ville"

It looks like they registered the domain name 939theville.com about a month ago, I'm guessing that will be their branding... which isn't the most "sports" sounding name, but I'm sure that is what it will be.

Drew Deener announced this morning programming for 93.9 starts this Thursday the 29th and it's an official partnership with U of L. I'm guessing they will be more in depth coverage of U of L sports with syndicated programming from CBS to fill the holes. They are also moving some of the local hosts like John Ramsey from 680 to 93.9. Increases their footprint in Louisville. Kudos to them.

Check that. I don't know why I put CBS in there. The FM will be clearing ESPN programming when it's not local.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom