• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS and Weigel launch new diginet

The CBS Television Stations group and Weigel Broadcasting today announced plans to launch Decades, a new national entertainment programming service for distribution across local television stations’ digital subchannels. In addition to being available as an over-the-air broadcast channel, Decades will appear on numerous local cable systems and other multichannel video programming distribution services along with the stations’ primary channels.

Decades will draw from a library of more than 100 classic television series, including select titles from the CBS library such as I Love Lucy from the 1950s, Star Trek from the 1960s, Happy Days from the 1970s and Cheers from the 1980s, as well as a wide selection of theatrical and made-for-television movies and footage of historical news events from the archives of CBS News and Entertainment Tonight.

The companies say Decades will differentiate itself from other subchannel programming services by varying the classic series and movies that appear on the network every day.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/80197/cbs-oos-weigel-to-launch-decades-diginet

Is this one channel with different times for each decade, or multiple channels for each decade? I definitely hope this makes it to my area. This might actually be as good as Me TV.

This might actually be as good as Me TV.

Hopefully it won't replace Me-TV, which is Weigel's first foray into classic TV subchannelage.

This sounds like a great network. Though I'm starting to think we are getting too many of these classic TV networks . Antenna TV has become very stale showing the same few shows year after year. It seems like there are too many networks showing a very limited selection of classic shows.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, they are not doing strip programming. Every day will be a new and different schedule of shows. Hopefully, that will keep it fresh.

It will be interesting though I know that you get better ratings doing block shows. That is why so many channels run "mini-marathons" of shows, as it's generates better ad revenues.

Will see.

We are confused!
Decades will draw from a library of more than 100 classic television series, including select titles from the CBS library such as...Star Trek from the 1960s, Happy Days from the 1970s and Cheers from the 1980s
Wait a minute, Star Trek and Happy Days were on NBC and Cheers was on ABC.

No, Happy Days was on ABC. The other two were on NBC.

But the rights to the shows are now owned by CBS. It's the same way with the classic shows that will be on CBS All Access, and the DVD releases. There are other classic CBS shows that probably won't be on there like MASH and the MTM shows, which are now owned by Fox, or the Norman Lear shows, which are now owned by Sony, unless they make special deals.

This second classic TV channel for Wigel will let them add shows from Warner Bros. and Universal to the MeTV schedule. Possibly some themed movie shows as well.

Also I herd that they're going to show classic CBS News broadcasts (I.e. From the Walter Cronkite Era, The Dan Rather Era, etc.)

Old newscasts, like old newspapers, are mostly good for little more than wrapping fish. Researching through old newscasts for specific information is useful, but sitting through an old one from start to finish would be torture for most viewers.

They could package specific big stories from a particular year into a 30 min show with clips from the newscasts. That might work and would fit in well with the programming of the station.

They could package specific big stories from a particular year into a 30 min show with clips from the newscasts. That might work and would fit in well with the programming of the station.

They could, but that would require time and effort. I'm not optimistic about that happening.

But the rights to the shows are now owned by CBS. It's the same way with the classic shows that will be on CBS All Access, and the DVD releases. There are other classic CBS shows that probably won't be on there like MASH and the MTM shows, which are now owned by Fox, or the Norman Lear shows, which are now owned by Sony, unless they make special deals.

Paramount Television died in 2006, but NCIS and Criminal Minds live on!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom