• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Turner Channels Deleted from dish (for now)

Joe_Capitano

Leading Participant
So, you tune over to CNN after 11 PM PT (2 AM ET Oct. 21) and what do you see? No, not the CNN International simulcast. Instead, as Chris Matthews says, "Let's Play Hardball."

MSNBC has been placed over CNN and HLN until further notice while Turner Broadcasting and dish Network deal with terms financial. Several other channels, but not TBS and TNT, are also gone as their carriage contracts lapsed. Here's the census:

Turner Classic Movies (132) now relaying FXM
Boomerang (175) & Cartoon Network (176/177) now running a Barker Channel
CNN (200) & HLN (202) now relaying MSNBC
TruTV (242) now relaying Esquire Network

dish's side of the story: dishstandsforyou.com
Turner's side of the story: check the individual nets' websites in the morning.

Not a trick, not a treat. This shouldn't last too long. (Translation: it may be a while but they'll be back). Start the clock.

Last edited:
I love these squabbles and wonder why consumers continuously put up with all of it.
They never have your best interests at heart, so why play along at all?

You could switch to another provider but it's only a matter of time before another transmission onslaught effects that service.
Ad nauseum dead horseum.

Just open your wallet and give them all contents within it... that's the goal anyways.

I'm not convinced this will get resolved if Time Warner doesn't back off a request for an increase.

TNT and TBS are the only must carry stations that the Turner Group has. I enjoy TCM and kids love Cartoon Network, but Dish can get by without any of those. I wonder if this could stretch until the TBS and TNT contracts are up?

Boomerang (175) & Cartoon Network (176/177) now running a Barker Channel...

"Barker" as in brokered religious programming, or relaying Animal Planet? :D

TNT and TBS are the only must carry stations that the Turner Group has.
The term "must carry" in the context of cable and satellite carriage applies to broadcast television stations which have elected to have distributors carry their signals without pre-emption for no compensation.

TNT and TBS are not broadcast stations, so if you would, please explain what you are using as an alternate definition of the term?

TBS and TNT are the only two channels that are highly-rated in the Turner portfolio, therefore they are the most important channels for a DBS provider to carry.

"Barker" as in brokered religious programming, or relaying Animal Planet? (unnecessary smiley tossed)

"Barker" as in six-channel matrix showing alternative programming available on dish along with a note pointing to the previously mentioned website. But since my original post dish has placed a relay of the former Hub, now Discovery Family, where Boomerang and Cartoon East previously were. 177 (Cartoon West) still has the Barker Channel.

So begins Day 2 of the standoff.

I didn't mean 'shall carry', I was only imparting that I felt that Dish users would abandon the service if they could not get TBS or TNT, making them, IMO only, essential for Dish to continue to carry.

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't intend to confuse the issue, but see where my wording would have done that. In any case, as a Satellite provider, I don't think shall carry applies to Dish Network anyway.

I stand corrected, but the clarification of what I meant regarding TBS and TNT stands.
I agree. You answered my request with complete clarity.

I think your use of the word "essential" in that response best describes the situation.

Turner Warns Dish Users That TNT & TBS Might Follow CNN, Toons Going Dark

A word of advice to Turner Broadcasting: When you fight with Dish Network Chairman Charlie Ergen, use a bazooka not a pea shooter. Turner quietly noted on a website today that the satellite company’s 14 million subscribers soon might lose TNT and TBS — a contrast to CBS, which just issued a noisy call-to-arms to its fans who might see network-owned stations go dark on Dish as early as Thursday.

Dish hasn’t aired Turner’s other networks, including CNN, since late October. “Efforts in recent weeks to restore the Turner networks to Dish customers have been rejected at every turn by Dish leadership,” the Time Warner unit says today. “The upcoming expiration on December 5 of our carriage agreement for TNT and TBS means Dish may drop those networks as well. We remain hopeful that we will reach an agreement that restores our networks to the air and eliminates the risk of Dish removing additional Turner networks from its channel lineup.”

http://deadline.com/2014/11/turner-warn-tnt-tbs-blackout-dish-network-1201288316/

Turner Networks, Including CNN, Return To Dish Network

The companies just made the terse announcement that they have “mutually decided to restore service of CNN, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, truTV, TCM, HLN, CNN en Espanol and Boomerang, and extend the carriage of TBS and TNT” — but will have no “further comment.”

That leaves unanswered the question of whether they have a deal yet. Also unknown is whether Turner’s channels will join Disney, Scripps, and A+E on Dish’s streaming video service, which Chairman Charlie Ergen says he expects to launch before year end.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/turner-networks-cnn-return-dish-network-1201291827/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom