• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kwfm 1330

RadioBill

Frequent Participant
I noticed this morning that 1330 the Star was off the air and is still off this evening. In addition their internet stream isn't working unlike during past transmitter failures, which leads one to speculate if it isn't more than transmitter problems this time ?

I noticed this morning that 1330 the Star was off the air and is still off this evening. In addition their internet stream isn't working unlike during past transmitter failures, which leads one to speculate if it isn't more than transmitter problems this time ?

I don't live near Tucson nor travel down that way very often any more but didn't KWFM used to be the Oldies station at 92.9?

I don't live near Tucson nor travel down that way very often any more but didn't KWFM used to be the Oldies station at 92.9?

I didn't live in Tucson back in the days of the original KWFM. However, it's my understanding that the only similarity among the two radio stations is the call letters.

BTW, 1330 is still silent today as is its internet stream. Wonder how long they have been off the air? I first noticed it Sunday morning while twirling the dial.

KWFM "the Star" has been off the air and internet for over a week now. Did they finally bite the dust? Perhaps Judy G can enlighten us if she still monitors this board.

KWFM 92.9 had several different incarnations and formats during its run, though the most prominent was the oldies format it ran for 10-15 years. After blowing it up, Clear Channel moved the oldies format and calls first to 97.1 and later to 1450.

As Bill mentions, the current KWFM 1330 isn't related to the old KWFM.

Like a cat with nine lives, KWFM returned to the airwaves over the weekend after being off the air for two weeks.

I was dialing around the car radio this afternoon and noticed that 1330 was off the air again and it is still off this evening. Anybody know how long KWFM has been off the air this time?

An amusing article by John Schuster in today's Tucson Weekly:

"A couple weeks ago in Media Watch, I included a note wondering whether the end had arrived for KWFM 1330 AM, also known as Star 1330, the latest incarnation of one of the craziest radio stories in the local history of the industry.

It had been at least a month since Star, an automated pop hits hodge-podge, has exuded a single song from that sad terrestrial signal. In the column, I mentioned how I feared its days were done, and it saddened me.

For the last decade-plus, 1330 has been one of the most fascinating, entertaining and baffling stations in the market. There were people who behind the scenes seemingly wanted to sabotage it, and others who gave it everything they had to keep the thing afloat. Yet through it all, the one constant was chaos..."

read more: http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/media-watch/Content?category=1063784

1330 was on last week. "Your Hit Music Station" ?? The oddity continues over there. Who would listen to current top 40 on AM?
What to do with that station? I think a traditional 50's 60's early 70's based Oldies station might have a fighting chance to at least show up in the ratings since that has disappeared from the radio landscape not only here but across the country. And before you sound off...yes I know it's not the desirable demo etc. etc. yadda...
but what else would work there? At least it would be a unique position.

As long as it is fired up occasionally and they run their licensed power, no one is going to say anything. That is the reality of it.

Yes, KWFM call sign was the 92.9 for a great many years. it was in the 90's and before. I was the Chief Engineer there in some of that time. Clear Cannel changed it and then the abandoned call sign was picked up by the other station. That call on an AM has always bugged me. What a waste.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom