• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does anybody here actually listen to Philly Radio?

I worked at two FMers in Philly and didn't listen to them at home or in the car, lol. That was a long time ago. At the time I really enjoyed WPGR 1540, and WHAT when they had a mix of Quiet Storm and Smooth Jazz.

When I moved to Schuylkill County in 1993 and bought a fixer-upper house, I put up a big TV aerial -- WPVI 6 had the best Philly TV signal -- and would tune in the occasional WOGL to hear Don Cannon, a former PD of mine. KYW was a mainstay at times, since there is no real all-news station in Schuylkill County and KYW is closer and louder than WCBS 880 in the day. And WPHT was a good listen when the Phillies played my hometown Mets (can I say that word here?:). At the time the Phillies PBP team were better than the Mets', imo.
And sometime in the Nineties, WRTI put a relay station in Pottsville, on 99.1. It was all-jazz at the time. And even though I'm not black, and I'm not crazy about talk radio, I found Dr. Reggie Bryant's show 'Catharsis' a fabulous listen, a really different milieu entirely, by which to paint or manually screw in drywall screws, and other quiet work at night.
(Ha! Every so often he'd play a song by The Reverend Al Green. My Dad, Al, heard one, and hollered 'He ain't no Irishman!')
WIP 610 comes in well, but they've changed. I'd call in on occasion and get a few chuckles with my 'Long time caller ; first time listener'.

It's years later now, though.

Nowadays, the Philly radio fare is mostly just WRTI, at nighttimes. I really miss Harrison 'Yes indeedy' Ridley. But the great Bob Craig is on weekends. Bob is another former PD of mine. If it were possible to cartwheels while at the wheel of a car, I would have done so the first time I was scooting up the grade from St. Clair and heard this terrific, smooth voice and style coming out of the 99.1 Pottsville stick -- and that was BEFORE I KNEW IT WAS BOB CRAIG!

I kind of have on KYW for an hour or so while at work (stucco, ceilings, painting, some electric, to keep me off the streetcorner), but they go a bit too sound-byte for me in style nowadays.

And since the Mets brought aboard Josh Lewin, it made listening to WFAN and WOR more enjoyable. To me he's the best Mets PBP guy since Bob Murphy. So the WPHT games are limited to when the neighbor/beer buddy's wife kicks him out at night. I don't watch much televison.

I enjoyed 'The Redhead' on WOGL doing the Memorial Day A-to-Z countdown. She sounds like a riot. A very good listen. I was working really high up on this precipitous deck and WOGL came in real well.

And I haven't missed too much of Jayson Stark's columns since I moved here, either :)

But as of October 26 2015, it's Philly's WRTI at night, and sometimes KYW in the day. That's about it for Philly radio. The rest of the week it's all internet listening.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom