• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does anybody here actually listen to Philly Radio?

F

FredLeonard

We talk about it but is anybody here still listening to old fashioned, OTA terrestrial radio in Philly?

Me: Very rarely. Maybe 102.9 HD2 Oldies on short drives only. I listen to public radio online (downloads and podcasts) but never to WHYY-FM. Very occasionally on a weekend (again short drive) I might go over to NJ101.5. I used to listen during the week but that station is on the downhill run, too. KYW - almost never, not even when I get stuck in a traffic jam (202 is jammed - tell me something I don't know). So, when radio apologists say they still reach some huge percentage of the population each week, in my case they are talking about a few minutes here and there - maybe adding up to 10 or 15 minutes.

Is anybody here still actually listening? If radio loses radio pros, radio geeks, radio enthusiasts and radio apologists, it really is all over.

Me. 1060 (I don't have an HD radio). How else could I know that Randy Chappigan was on vacation recently?

Also 1210 for the occasional Phils game (I can't get 94.1 where I live, and 610 gets splatter from 600 in Baltimore).

ixnay

Which one of those are you?

We know Julius listens...he posts about it every week. Except he's also boycotting.

We know you DON'T listen because you are not in this market, although that doesn't stop you from correcting people (here and other markets in which you don't live).

We know you DON'T listen because you are not in this market,

How do you know? I've worked in Philly, and I still travel through many times, and when I do, I listen to Philly radio. I listen to everything from KYW to Ben FM. No one ever mentions Ben here.

Just KYW via 94.1-HD-2 most of the time ... which actually works quite well for me in eastern Chester County 95% of the time. The occasional drop-out happens ... some I've identified as a particular location (Rt. 29 just north of Rt. 30 near the Wegmans).

Otherwise, I'm listening to XM.

I don't live in Philly, but when I am in Philly (about once/year), I listen to mostly Radio 104.5 with a touch of WXPN and WHYY.

Fred listens; he just doesn't like anything he hears anywhere, that's all...

I'm a critical listener, yes. But I like a lot of things in Philly radio, and I prefer Ben to Jack. I think WXTU is doing a great job with country in the city. I like KYW's presentation. I like the Bee, MMR, and even WOGL every now and then. Great radio heritage in Philly, and I'm very proud to have worked there. Living there still has an affect on my appetite. That's all I'm going to say.

Fred listens; he just doesn't like anything he hears anywhere, that's all...

Since Fred is essentially the reincarnation of Eugene Debbs, I'm surprised he even considers anything done after the early 20's to be of any use.

Obviously, Mr. Eduardo doesn't know much about Eugene V. Debs. He had a radio station named after him, WEVD, New York.

No, I hear very little to like any more. What I like even less are the excuses some here make for radio being as bad as it has become.

It's both pathetic and nasty when some people prefer to comment about the poster, rather than the post. But typical of the quality of those who now inhabit radio. Radio declined because the quality of the people in it declined - not because of any new competition for public attention.

Funny, how some people never participate in this board - except to respond to something I have posted.

Frank, since these guys have no interest in discussing the topic, might as well shut it down.

It's both pathetic and nasty when some people prefer to comment about the poster, rather than the post.

What you've experienced is pretty tame to what some others here have gotten from some of the nastier trolls.

Also, you have to admit, you're pretty negative about pretty much everything.

I listen to WXPN, WHYY and the sports stations. What I don't do anymore is listen to commercial radio for music at home. I have presets in the car for MGK, Ben and OGL but I don't spend much time with any of them--just channel surfing for a decent song. I would probably listen to KYW some, but I live in the Trenton market where their signal is poor.

I listen from NYC though GlobalTuners.com I like WOGL's 70s Sunday plus their all 70s on HD 2 and also Classic Rock 102.9 FM.

Obviously, Mr. Eduardo doesn't know much about Eugene V. Debs. He had a radio station named after him, WEVD, New York.

No, I hear very little to like any more. What I like even less are the excuses some here make for radio being as bad as it has become.

It's both pathetic and nasty when some people prefer to comment about the poster, rather than the post. But typical of the quality of those who now inhabit radio. Radio declined because the quality of the people in it declined - not because of any new competition for public attention.

Funny, how some people never participate in this board - except to respond to something I have posted.

Frank, since these guys have no interest in discussing the topic, might as well shut it down.

Fred: Sorry to say, but I think the reason people tend to comment about the poster rather than your posts is because you act like a pompous jerk on here. And you go after David just as much as he goes after you, so give up that ghost.

BTW: You seem to be reading selectively. Most of the posts here have actually addressed your original post so there's plenty of reason for the thread to stay open. If you want to direct which threads should and shouldn't stay open, maybe you should create your own board and spare us all this drama.

That having been said: If I'm trapped with no options, I'll go to WISX before anything else. I like Rhythmic AC stuff and when I've heard them lately, I've heard some very welcome '90s Gold. If they're in a commercial, I'll check out WOGL and WBEB. Then I'll check in with WRTI (or WRTI-HD2, depending on the time of day) and WISX-HD2. If things get desperate, I'll tune to Q102. If I'm not in the mood for music, I'll go directly to WHYY. For terrestrial intents and purposes, that's what the Philadelphia dial consists of in my eyes (ears?)

I always listen to 91.7 WKDU, Moderately WKXW 101.5, only in the morning do I listen to KYW 1060 for news and weather. I usually also listen to WDAS 1480, for relaxing jazz during the day (forget about it at night, the signal is lost in the DX.) So yeah actually a lot of people still do. Also I listen to MMR'S vinyl cut at 2:30 every day.

I have always listened to WRTI 90.1 jazz from 6pm-6am every night to have it on while I'll sleep. Been doing that for the last 8 years! I love them so much, I became a member of the station haha. Believe it or not, I feel that Philly actually (compared to others) has a great market. Compare us to say, the Balt/Wash market. We have the CHR, naturally, but we also have smooth jazz, alternative, a great, hell, excellent college station (WKDU) oldies (WVLT, which is REAL oldies i.e 50's and 60's) and a great jazz station every night (WRTI). We really do have a wide variety, all with a great signal. The station in Balt/ Wash have bad signal due to a crammed area and terrain. So, even though I feel ours need a big change still, it's better than others.

Last edited:
I listen to WMMR via the old fashioned 93.3 FM. Preston & Steve are on the moment the alarm goes off at 6am. I am a chemist and work in a lab so I have them on until Pierre and I listen to him too. After Pierre, I usually switch over to Sirius app and listen to the Pulse. In the car if I'm by myself it's WMMR or Howard 100. If my children are in the car with me, it's Kids Place Live, Radio Disney, Kids Bop Radio or Sirius Hits 1. I actually have to switch off P&S when driving them to school but as soon as they're dropped off, it's back to WMMR from the satellite unless P&S are on commercial and then I check out Howard. I live in Chester County, not far from that Wegmans in Malvern and I have a lot of family still in the Cherry Hill area so, I do like to get a second opinion on traffic from KYW on the 2s. At home, I have 2 HD radios so I do listen on 94.1-HD2. In the car, it's the AM & FM are just analog so it's traffic on the 2s on1060. I do hope KYW goes to 96.5 because there is so much interference on Paoli Pike in East Goshen. I do like the Google Map app to tell me the quickest way but KYW helps too because there's no playing with the iPhone once I start driving.

Here in King Of Prussia, the heart of the Philadelphia market, I listen to:
WLNG, 95PEN, Hy Lit Radio, 56 WFIL, Star 107.9, Classic Jingle Radio, I-Radio-Philly, 650 WSM, 181.FM Lite '80s, Rollye.net, and my own TALK 500-- all online.

The only two stations I listen to on old-fashioned dinosaur radio with any regularity are WIP and KYW. The former generally only during football season, and the latter mainly for familiar background noise (like for what we used to use WDVR and WWSH).

So to answer the last part of Fred Leonard's original post that opened this thread, I am one longtime radio geek/pro/enthusiast who has for the most part told the remnants of broadcast radio the same two words broadcast radio told most of its faithful listeners.

As my name implies my listening is in the Wilmington metro which obviously Philly radio holds the lions share of the audience.

The OTA radio I listen to in my car or at home are as follows:
WRTI 107.7 [Wilmington repeater] for both Classical and Jazz;
1150 WDEL [Wilmington] for local news/traffic/weather and Phillies/Eagles/ Westwood One games and CBS radio news programming;
WHYY-FM for NPR programming,
Fox Sports Radio [WWTX 1290 [Wilmington],
the Fanatic 97.5 WPEN,
CBS Sports Radio 610 WIP,
94.1 WIP-FM.

So of the 7 OTA radio stations I listen to only two are Wilmington stations, all else is Philly.

Online I listen to LPR [Lutheran Public Radio],
NPR podcasts,
CBS Radio News programming online,
91.1 WDDE - Dover DE [NPR] online,
Or an old time radio site for Radio Dramas.

If I'm not listening to the above I'm probably listening to an audio book [amazing how much better a good audio book makes traffic] or CD's of music I like that radio forgot.

Last edited:
Online I listen to LPR [Lutheran Public Radio],

"Lutheran Public Radio???" The Public Broadcasting Act specifically bars religious broadcasters from operating public radio stations. The CPB should investigate and take legal action.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom