• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tribune Broadcasting

e-dawg

Star Participant
I wonder if Tribune will try to have it's own network in the future. Majority of the Tribune own stations are CW network and have a local news department outside of the Big 4 networks.

I wonder if Tribune will try to have it's own network in the future. Majority of the Tribune own stations are CW network and have a local news department outside of the Big 4 networks.

Houston's CW doesnt...they used to...and gave it up....the CW is cowned by CBS and WB..Tribune will not be able to provide a network news feed to the CW.

Why would they want one? How much money do you think they could make if they added yet another OTA network to the already saturated market?

I think Tribune will target scripted and new programming for cable WGN.

Maybe it could launch an OTA primetime network - but if it did it would be reality television oriented which would fit a lower cost model.

In several major markets, with which I am familiar, a Tribune-owned station picks up a newscast provided by a major network affiliate. The Tribune station airs news an hour earlier, often the newsreaders are the network affiliate's back ups or weekend people.

Of course, WGN and WPIX have long-standing news operations of their own. Tribune even operated its own network news at one point (from WPIX) for independent stations but didn't make a go of it. Unlikely that they'd try it again. Seems cheaper and more effective to take news from a network affiliate in town.

In several major markets, with which I am familiar, a Tribune-owned station picks up a newscast provided by a major network affiliate. The Tribune station airs news an hour earlier, often the newsreaders are the network affiliate's back ups or weekend people.

Of course, WGN and WPIX have long-standing news operations of their own. Tribune even operated its own network news at one point (from WPIX) for independent stations but didn't make a go of it. Unlikely that they'd try it again. Seems cheaper and more effective to take news from a network affiliate in town.

You are right. Tribune owns WPHL Channel 17 the MY Network TV affiliate in Philly and I believe at one time they had their own in-house news, but now farm it on to NBC O&O WCAU Channel 10.

Tribune's FOX 61 in Hartford, CT also has a long establish news department and has synergy with The Hartford Courant newspaper.

Weekdays: 4AM-10AM The FOX 61 Morning News (9AM-10AM is called The FOX 61 Morning Extra - News headlines with lifestyle and magazine style stories)
4PM-5PM The FOX 61 News at 4
5PM-6PM The FOX 61 News at 5
10PM-11PM The FOX 61 News at 10
11PM-11:30PM The FOX 61 News at 11

Saturdays:
6AM-9AM The FOX 61 Morning News Saturday Edition
10PM-11PM *TIME APPROXIMATE DUE TO FOX SPORTS COVERAGE* The FOX 61 News at 10

Sundays:
6AM-9AM The FOX 61 Morning News Sunday Edition
10PM-11PM The FOX 61 News at 10 (Includes Sports Ticket 10:45-11PM)
11PM-11:30PM The FOX 61 News at 11

Houston's CW doesnt...they used to...and gave it up....the CW is cowned by CBS and WB..Tribune will not be able to provide a network news feed to the CW.

They have News Fix which isn't really a news department. More like TMZ with locals and run by a machine. Same goes with KDAF in Dallas.

I think the CW needs to be a CBS thing, not a Tribune thing (kinda like the old UPN). Didn't I read somewhere that Tribune wasn't happy about the CW and then someone at Tribune wanted to make it better? I guess we will still see in 2016 when the Tribune/CW contract is up.

With Tribune programming, don't they already have syndicated programs for Tribune stations? I know it started off with that Bill Cunningham show then went to the CW but isn't there others out there?

And I don't think Tribune is big enough for a news department for all CW (and possibly Fox and MyNetworkTV) stations. Look back 10 years ago with Sinclair and their miserable "News Central" department. I seriously doubt Tribune would do such a thing like a "News Central" like program, especially for a "big four" station.

From RDGeneralManager: E-Cam you need to register or log in

You are right. Tribune owns WPHL Channel 17 the MY Network TV affiliate in Philly and I believe at one time they had their own in-house news, but now farm it on to NBC O&O WCAU Channel 10.

That was correct, but then they made a deal with WPVI (ABC). So Action News is now on WPHL. This season the 10pm newscast from WPVI was expanded to be one hour as well, with Modern Family moving to 11pm replacing Arsenio.

On a side note, It's interesting that the so called 24x7 cable news channels want to move away from news to program entertainment programming and political commentary, but local stations (in some cases) are putting out more news now, with WPVI, for example, having a 1 hour noon newscast, 4pm newscast and 10pm newscast which is far more news than say 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Houston's CW doesn't... what?

They still have a newscast every day at 5 PM and 9PM, plus local news inserts during Eye Opener in the morning. It's not a traditional newscast, in that you don't have two anchors sitting at a desk, but it's very informative--and often actually has more news content than its competitors.

Last edited:
In several major markets, with which I am familiar, a Tribune-owned station picks up a newscast provided by a major network affiliate.

It's true that in a handful of markets (Philly, Miami and Portland, Oregon), the Tribune station runs a newscast that's produced by a competitor. Miami and Portland are CW Affiliates. Philly is MyNetwork.

But Trib has plenty of CW stations that do local news: NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston. Trib's only standalone CW that doesn't do news is Washington, D.C.

I doubt you'd see Trib produce a national newscast. You're more likely to see national/international stories produced by Tribune that still air within a locally produced newscast.

Trib stations share with each other, but again, within their local newscasts. With the addition of the Local TV, LLC stations, Trib has coverage in much of the country, but still relies on CNN affiliates to fill the gaps and provide video from Washington and outside the U.S.

Peter Liguori has said that he wants a management position at The CW, and to put Tribune-produced programming on the network.

Best-case scenario, come 2016, WB terminates their joint venture agreement with CBS, then turns around and starts a new joint venture network with Tribune. CBS is the dead weight in the CW partnership. As long as they're involved, CW is never going to become truly competitive with the Big 4.

CBS is the dead weight in the CW partnership. As long as they're involved, CW is never going to become truly competitive with the Big 4.

CBS doesn't bring programming, but they bring some stations. At the same time, obviously no love between Tribune & CBS, given the Arsenio situation. But that doesn't mean CBS won't look for another partner if CW goes away.

Wow...what a pile of inside baseball crap that means nothing to actual viewers. My eyes just glazed over trying to read that story.

Bottom line is that the viewers don't HAVE to watch anything. It's not the 1020s. They have so many choices these days that no one company or CEO has any real power. Ultimately it's what someone is willing to watch, and people won't watch something unless they're interested, regardless of the branding or the corporation behind it.

Houston's CW doesn't... what?

They still have a newscast every day at 5 PM and 9PM, plus local news inserts during Eye Opener in the morning. It's not a traditional newscast, in that you don't have two anchors sitting at a desk, but it's very informative--and often actually has more news content than its competitors.

Thats what I meant..it used to be a traditional newscast and they gave up on it...the "news" they have now is pieces from other providers....last time I watched it, it sucked...and I never have watched it since...

Wow...what a pile of inside baseball crap that means nothing to actual viewers. My eyes just glazed over trying to read that story.

Bottom line is that the viewers don't HAVE to watch anything. It's not the 1020s. They have so many choices these days that no one company or CEO has any real power. Ultimately it's what someone is willing to watch, and people won't watch something unless they're interested, regardless of the branding or the corporation behind it.

Of course it matters. CBS is saddling CW with sub-par programming, so they wouldn't be a threat to CBS. That's a problem for Tribune, which is what this thread is about.

Of course it matters. CBS is saddling CW with sub-par programming, so they wouldn't be a threat to CBS. That's a problem for Tribune, which is what this thread is about.

It's a partnership. Warner Brothers also creates programming. So it's up to both of them. No network has a 100% great schedule. Same with this.

Peter Liguori has said that he wants a management position at The CW, and to put Tribune-produced programming on the network.

Best-case scenario, come 2016, WB terminates their joint venture agreement with CBS, then turns around and starts a new joint venture network with Tribune. CBS is the dead weight in the CW partnership. As long as they're involved, CW is never going to become truly competitive with the Big 4.

So would that mean The CW will become the WB in 2016?

Tribune has the stations most likely to make a fifth network successful, but is the entity least likely to try it that doesn't already own a Big Four network.

You do realize the story you linked to later raised the possibility that the CW merger was a way for WB to phase itself out of the broadcast network business, right? In other words, you're assuming Warner Bros., let alone CBS, has any interest in running down the Big Four. Your proposal is basically the same arrangement the old WB network had, and the economics of the broadcast industry are a lot worse now than they were in 2006 - to the point that the only reason even the Big Four are on broadcast is because that's what they've always done.

I do think Warners will attempt to take full control over the CW venture, if only because their shows are almost universally more successful than the CBS shows on the network these days. In my perfect fantasy world, Warners would outright buy most of the biggest Tribune CW affiliates (and maybe WPHL and/or KZJO as well), combine them with WPCH (the former WTBS) in Atlanta, and run its own network without having to cooperate with anybody; given the ownership changes Tribune has gone through recently and the spin-off of the newspaper division, I wouldn't be surprised if Tribune was open to that even if it meant getting rid of their flagship WGN, but it would be really expensive for Warner Bros.

Tribune has the stations most likely to make a fifth network successful, but is the entity least likely to try it that doesn't already own a Big Four network.

You do realize the story you linked to later raised the possibility that the CW merger was a way for WB to phase itself out of the broadcast network business, right? In other words, you're assuming Warner Bros., let alone CBS, has any interest in running down the Big Four. Your proposal is basically the same arrangement the old WB network had, and the economics of the broadcast industry are a lot worse now than they were in 2006 - to the point that the only reason even the Big Four are on broadcast is because that's what they've always done.

I do think Warners will attempt to take full control over the CW venture, if only because their shows are almost universally more successful than the CBS shows on the network these days. In my perfect fantasy world, Warners would outright buy most of the biggest Tribune CW affiliates (and maybe WPHL and/or KZJO as well), combine them with WPCH (the former WTBS) in Atlanta, and run its own network without having to cooperate with anybody; given the ownership changes Tribune has gone through recently and the spin-off of the newspaper division, I wouldn't be surprised if Tribune was open to that even if it meant getting rid of their flagship WGN, but it would be really expensive for Warner Bros.

That's the way I see it happening, just can't see Time Warner taking control of The CW, I see the CW going away and MyNetworkTV they either shut down or they would just become a cable channel. More or less MNTV runs more like a cable network than a programming service tv network.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom