• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Star 94

acheron1982

Star Participant
Wanted to start a thread to discuss the future of STAR 94. It's been a Hot AC/TOP 40 station in Atlanta for years. It's went from HOT AC to TOP 40 and back again on many occasions. It's been situated as Hot AC for about three or so years now but have seen a drop in ratings. B98 which is basically a AC/Hot AC hybrid and Q100 which is basically Hot AC/Top 40 hybrid has both been killing STAR 94 in the ratings.

STAR is owned by Lincoln Financial so I'm not terribly familiar with them. Not sure how "aggressive" they are with format changes. I know they have a good imaging IMO but that is about the extent.

With Q100 and B98 both doing well in the ratings, what can or should happen with STAR 94? If the AC format worked, I think B would have stayed AC but one can always make an argument with any station and with any format that the owner or program director isn't doing it right so I guess an argument could be made here as well. Star is a pretty good signal and with the exception of 106.7 and 97.1, I would argue their signal probably gets out in range over the other in town 100k watt stations.

Just curious on thoughts.

Last edited:
If Star 94 went to oldies it would blow though the ratings roof. Incredible signal, and basically going back to their roots. Keep the Star 94 moniker, "Stars of the roots of radio".

Lincoln Financial has had the "For Sale" sign out on Star and 790 for a while (really ever since they bought Jefferson-Pilot), but 1) they want top dollar for them and 2) they will not sell Star by itself (i.e., you have to take 790 too). Cumulus and IIRC CC have kicked the tires, but couldn't come to terms on price.

Ever since 96.1 went CHR I have thought that one of the 4 CHRs/hot ACs would find themselves as the odd man out. CC, I mean IHeartMedia, is doing well with Power 96, and Cumulus is doing well with Q100, and Cox with B98.5.

How about CBS? I know they've been looking to expand in their top 10 (or so) markets, but rumor has it Lincoln wants out of the radio business altogether, so I don't see a swap like their one with Beasley. If this sale happened, 790 would definitely go all syndicated CBSSR content, while I'm not exactly sure what they'd do with Star. When it comes to Hot AC, they either run it as borderline CHR (impossible with Power and Q) or a more recent AC (B is already doing that). Maybe they could go Rhythmic to combo-sell with V?

It's still pulling at least a 3 share each month so there's obviously a market for true Hot AC here in Atlanta. If they were to flip, I would think someone else like 92.9 or 106.7 would flip to leap on this Hot AC opportunity. I still wish they would put back Rick Dees Weekly Top 40 on the weekends.

If Star 94 went to oldies it would blow though the ratings roof. Incredible signal, and basically going back to their roots. Keep the Star 94 moniker, "Stars of the roots of radio".

It might get great numbers, but take a huge cut in revenue.

We are all guilty at being focused on ratings that we (some of us) forget about the revenue part. I wished I had a way to know how each station was doing revenue wise. Not based on hearsay but based on facts.

Good inside information explains to me that is why many stations haven't even tried active rock. It doesn't bill well but not bad with ratings.

We are all guilty at being focused on ratings that we (some of us) forget about the revenue part. I wished I had a way to know how each station was doing revenue wise.

Best way is BIA/Kelsey...expensive to subscribe...only available to professionals.

How about CBS? I know they've been looking to expand in their top 10 (or so) markets, but rumor has it Lincoln wants out of the radio business altogether, so I don't see a swap like their one with Beasley. If this sale happened, 790 would definitely go all syndicated CBSSR content, while I'm not exactly sure what they'd do with Star. When it comes to Hot AC, they either run it as borderline CHR (impossible with Power and Q) or a more recent AC (B is already doing that). Maybe they could go Rhythmic to combo-sell with V?

CBS would be a logical buyer since they have a presence here already and could get some economy of scale, plus they have money. Cox and Cumulus are close to maxed out ownership-limitations-wise, and iHeart needs money. The downside is that CBS doesn't have a CBS-network O&O TV station in ATL (they do own CW affiliate WUPA 69). And CBS keeps talking about getting out of radio altogether, like NBC and ABC have.

The downside is that CBS doesn't have a CBS-network O&O TV station in ATL (they do own CW affiliate WUPA 69).

That seems to be the key factor in the latest trades. Owning radio only makes sense when it can be combined with TV and online.

Good inside information explains to me that is why many stations haven't even tried active rock. It doesn't bill well but not bad with ratings.
While I never saw Project's billing numbers, I remember Mr. Eduardo explaining how "Wild" never billed much more than $2 million/year, which was VERY bad considering it's pre-Power ratings. To think Project was blown up before Wild only makes me wonder exactly how miserably they were billing.

Active rock is very risky, but with heritage stations with strong personalities (WMMR, WRIF, KISW), active rock can be near the top of markets for billing.

BIA Kelsey is a great source, but there are certainly some tales being told by lots of folks on revenues in my city, especially outside of the big top two corps, if they are accurate. I know for a fact some is certainly not right. How accurate do those who use the reports feel they are in other markets? Still, a good source.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom