• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PR television updates

TVCOOL

Star Participant
WORA-TV ABC 5 just launched this new site: www.dame5pr.com which would replace the current woratv web site 11/1. WOLE-DT announced it's leaving Telemundo as of New Years' day to air Univision Programming (now where this leaves punto.2 idk), Telemundo is going back to WORA after 20 years on that day as well (on a sub-channel 5.2). Besides Topy Mamarey leaving Lo Se Todo no new updates on WAPA-TV. And Univision Puerto Rico has let go 100+ employees due to ratings losses. What else can happen to Puerto Rico TV in the next year (2015)?. For Telemundo PR it could be worse not having any channel airing their programming at all, so being on a sub-channel of their former co-channel is not that bad. It could've ended up like WAPA-TV in 1995-99 when they had barely any west coast coverage when WOLE-TV 12 jumped to Telemundo and WORA-TV 5 jumped to TeleOnce/Univision Puerto Rico leaving WAPA in the dust.

People are saying that Univision is going to become more of a repeater of what they have in the mainland. If that's true they should go ahead and flip WSTE to Unimás.

Even then, was getting rid of the local news department a good idea? I mean, I know many Univision channels don't have local newscasts, but that's because the Spanish-speaking population isn't very high. If WLTV and WXTV have news department then I don't know why WLII doesn't? Is the economy and cost of power that ungodly in Puerto Rico?

Personally I hope that they stop pre-empting programming in Puerto Rico and stop showing their soaps a month or so after they've aired on the mainland (that means you, Metástasis. Not like Telemundo who put local programming in the middle of the week in primetime for no reason other than it's local. If NBC or CBS did this sort of thing it would be unthinkable.

Also, this leaves NBC Puerto Rico without a West Coast Outlet. Wonder if Telemundo should consider buying up WMEI/WOST and have full coverage in the north, south, and west for themselves. WORA has invested a lot in multiple transmitters, WSTE-style that get them a lot more island-wide coverage.

Also i read on some site that WSTE and WORO is planing to get sub channels in 2015 (i.e. Grit, Escape, Me-TV, Bounce). Does this mean WSTE and WORO is looking to carry Fox and CBS programming i hope so. And where this leaves WAPA and WIPR / WIPM in this revamped competition for viewers once WORA ABC 5 launches on November 1?. Some people think english-speaking TV won't survive in Puerto Rico but most of the island has been exposed to english-speaking media thru Satalite and Cable TV since the 1980s and this type of programming would thrive today in PR more than in the past 25 years.

Also i read on some site that WSTE and WORO is planing to get sub channels in 2015 (i.e. Grit, Escape, Me-TV, Bounce). Does this mean WSTE and WORO is looking to carry Fox and CBS programming i hope so. And where this leaves WAPA and WIPR / WIPM in this revamped competition for viewers once WORA ABC 5 launches on November 1?. Some people think english-speaking TV won't survive in Puerto Rico but most of the island has been exposed to english-speaking media thru Satalite and Cable TV since the 1980s and this type of programming would thrive today in PR more than in the past 25 years.

25 years ago, there were still plenty of people in the sales demos who grew up when bilingual education was mandatory in public schools. Today, it's been abut 50 years since that was required. So there are fewer bilinguals than ever before in the last 100 years. Further, much of the bilingual middle class has migrated off Island and the number of remaining Continentals is minimal.

PR has abysmally low cable penetration, mostly due to the language issue but also due to low incomes and the economy.

and WLII / WSUR may dump univision after all for MyNetwork TV in 2015 as well from this same site.

That makes no sense. WLII / WSUR are owned by a wholly owned subsidiary of Univision. It is really unlikely that Univision will cease to use its own programming on its own station.

QUOTE=DavidEduardo;6008465]

That makes no sense. WLII / WSUR are owned by a wholly owned subsidiary of Univision. It is really unlikely that Univision will cease to use its own programming on its own station.
[/QUOTE]

That's not to say that Univision couldn't sell their PR cluster, but they would probably sell it to a second-party owner like Entravision. There is a chance they could still remain Univision affiliates if Univision wanted to get rid of their O&Os in Puerto Rico.

That's not to say that Univision couldn't sell their PR cluster, but they would probably sell it to a second-party owner like Entravision. There is a chance they could still remain Univision affiliates if Univision wanted to get rid of their O&Os in Puerto Rico.

I can't see Entravision going into Puerto Rico. It's a separate tax jusisdiction and shares no commonalities with the type of administration that Entravision uses in the US. In radio, none of Entravision's formats is of any use on the Island. Going into Puerto Rico with no experience at a time when the economy is in a shambles, population is declining rapidly and where there is more competition than they are used to in the mainland markets makes little sense.

Someone like a Sinclair broadcasting could buy WLII off Univision's hands with ease. And if even WSTE or WORO decide to pick up MyNetwork TV, Fox, CBS or even CW's programming it would be better than what they normally air anyway.

I can't see Entravision going into Puerto Rico. It's a separate tax jusisdiction and shares no commonalities with the type of administration that Entravision uses in the US. In radio, none of Entravision's formats is of any use on the Island. Going into Puerto Rico with no experience at a time when the economy is in a shambles, population is declining rapidly and where there is more competition than they are used to in the mainland markets makes little sense.

I was using Entravision as an example, given they own many Univision outlets... they could give it to local people just as well and keep the Univision affiliation.

It's worth noting that Entravision has a cluster in Puerto Rican-heavy Orlando, and doesn't know how to program radio for them either. But it's not like they realize they're rearranging the ships on the Titanic.

Someone like a Sinclair broadcasting could buy WLII off Univision's hands with ease. And if even WSTE or WORO decide to pick up MyNetwork TV, Fox, CBS or even CW's programming it would be better than what they normally air anyway.

If WSTE flips, it will be to Unimás. In fact, the sooner they do, the better. Being able to air Univision's whole mainland schedule will make it easier to fill in spots available for local programming. WLTV and WXTV don't find much difficulty incorporating local newscasts without mangling Univision's schedule until it's no longer recognizable and airing soap operas weeks or months after they've started airing in the mainland.

I agree that WORO should be sold. Maybe they had good programming once, but they don't seem to be very relevant anymore. Puerto Rico wastes too many good signals on religious channels that nobody watches.

WORA-TV already put up their new site www.abc5pr.tv Dame 5. I wonder what syndicated programing WORA will get to fill the broadcast day outside of local news and ABC programming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom