• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Summer 2014 ratings

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
In Columbia, someone must be regretting the decision to change to Nash.

In Greenville, apparently Magic is recovering at the expense of My.

In Charleston, does active rock have a future?

Nash is in every market Cumulus has stations in SC. With all of them doing poorly. I wonder how long it will stay in Columbia and Charleston.

Wow. That's a huge swing between MY and Magic. Will be interesting to see if it's a one time deal or if it continues. Also surprising to see Rock 101 have probably its strongest book in years.

One consistency that is interesting is that The Planet has constantly dropped over the past year. Isn't surprising to me but I think now more than ever, it seems like it's a dying station (apart from mornings, sadly).

Not too surprised by anything else. Summer will never be a good ratings period for X98.5 as it's the worst with signal issues during the summer months. Still seems sad to me that people will assume that alternative is not doable in the market. On one of the most pitiful signals in the market, any format would do poorly.

Ahhhhh......the Summer Book. It's like a shot of watered-down Scotch. Trust me, the water would drather be somewhere else! WROQ has always enjoyed good Summer ratings....it's all part of the format, and they sound better than they have. However, they still ain't where they need to be.....because there is no one there that can lead it there, to that level. For MY to flop....Hey, it's just what one of the board posters said last year...."They Botched The Flip"! For MAGIC's climb, let me say this....it's not always what you do that raises you,....it can also be what the others don't do. When MY fails their audience, then across town offers a possible fix.

In Charleston, does active rock have a future?

I think so, provided that 98 can finally solve their engineering issues, which has plagued them, in one way or another, for years. BTLS is giving them traction in the mornings, Potter's still doing well on the ride home & the planned transmitter move should help even more.

G

I think the addition of Ace & TJ as well as the hiring of a CHR PD at MY signals that they might be going in a CHR direction in the future. B wouldn't be too hard to take down. Hawk and Tom are an absolute joke and the station is very weak musically.

Laying it out thick, and truthful, as only I can! On the flip, Hawk & Tom have a strong show, Heidi included! The problem here is what has plagued the team for years, as the have been also blessed in still being on. For them it is the mass that's failed them,....not the format, but what, over the years, that format has become , a list of worthless horse manure songs, that can't aid any announcer or team of such. I listened this morning, and it was as good as you need, but then the garbage that fills between them: long stop-sets, poor promos, horse manure songs, and not the correct number per hour. I know Heidi, have met Hawk, and feel that Tom is Brilliant! They will never win anything flying that airplane with those 2-foot wings. Why is it that the GM can't see their millstone? If I was their OM/PD, I could draw serious revenue & ratings with them......The Problem is not the morning team! Scooter Lesley.

Laying it out thick, and truthful, as only I can! On the flip, Hawk & Tom have a strong show, Heidi included! The problem here is what has plagued the team for years, as the have been also blessed in still being on. For them it is the mass that's failed them,....not the format, but what, over the years, that format has become , a list of worthless horse manure songs, that can't aid any announcer or team of such. I listened this morning, and it was as good as you need, but then the garbage that fills between them: long stop-sets, poor promos, horse manure songs, and not the correct number per hour. I know Heidi, have met Hawk, and feel that Tom is Brilliant! They will never win anything flying that airplane with those 2-foot wings. Why is it that the GM can't see their millstone? If I was their OM/PD, I could draw serious revenue & ratings with them......The Problem is not the morning team! Scooter Lesley.

Honestly, Hawk & Tom were OK back in their prime and I really don't fault them as far as radio personalities. I've even met them myself some, what, I want to say 17 years ago. But they've been at B for so long, they're getting older and frankly, their material is just growing stale. IMO, they are getting to the point where they really don't sound relevant to the audience they're trying to appeal to. Again, that's not a slam on the group as radio personalities, but it just is sounding so incredibly stale that B needs a change. And to make matters worse, they seem like they've been trying to talk MORE about more adult subjects that don't jive with the CHR crowd. Sure they're plenty of Moms listening to the station, but it's a younger crowd that Top 40 should be appealling to and it's just not going to happen much longer if Hawk and Tom stay on board.

And I completely agree with Carolinaradio that unless some serious changes are made to B93.7, that they're a prime target to take down. Hot 98.1 is just abysmal so they're a non-factor. But B93.7 is itself starting to sound stale. I mean even "hits" from like 5 years ago are still being beat into the ground.

Their new PD, Dave Jackson, hasn't been there long enough to make a difference, but he's got a lot of work cut out for him if WFBC is to get back up to snuf. I think if MY moves in the CHR direction, it could be an ugly battle (and I really hope that if MY does go that route that they do a full on rebranding --- get rid of the "MY" and push a more energetic image, which they could even have used as a Hot AC).

I think the addition of Ace & TJ as well as the hiring of a CHR PD at MY signals that they might be going in a CHR direction in the future.
On the other hand, Ace and TJ are on an AC station in Myrtle Beach. While Star 92.1 may technically be Hot AC, except for a relatively new rimshot station no one has ever heard of, that is the AC for the area even if it isn't a very conservative one. Star may have simply been ahead of the trend that ACs today are following.

On the other hand, Ace and TJ are on an AC station in Myrtle Beach. While Star 92.1 may technically be Hot AC, except for a relatively new rimshot station no one has ever heard of, that is the AC for the area even if it isn't a very conservative one. Star may have simply been ahead of the trend that ACs today are following.

Its to bad that Star 92.1 dumped Ace and TJ for The Bert Show.

This whole Syndi-cast Horse Manure is as temporary as tampons, and as rewarding as one of your hygienically challenged relatives, staying in your guest room over the weekend, via furnace repair. The truth is that dry monotone conversation just gets old, and your rating sink faster than either Louie Anderson or Chaz Bono off the high-dive....I keep getting them confused. That type of show neither fits, nor works for a great length of time on any format. Give me....Hawk & Tom 6-10, with a minimum of 7-records an hour.....7-records that I Program for their show,....not what the labels want. Double digits in three books!
I've done it before.

Once again we can thank Jethro/JethreneM....for the short, shallow, and well thought-out comments, but now onward, in dee-cussion, of my slant to this topic:
So, what would it take, for any of the GSP stations to see double-digit ratings? Let's look at #2,#3, & #4.....Pay no attention to all the continuous, weighted, it never ends, Horse Manure with JAMZ always #1.

So, what would it take, for any of the GSP stations to see double-digit ratings?

The simple answer would be for half of the stations in the market to shut off their transmitter. Because the days of double-digit ratings are gone. Music tastes have fragmented too much.

One easy way to get a double-digit rating is to combine the audience of WESC and WSSL. Boom!

Last edited:
Once again readers,....and pay close attention: Once again, the short-shallow vision(if any) of his royal "A"-ness, has dealt another of his alleged smart pills.

I will answer his, using part of his: The only reason that the WSSL owned company purchased WESC...was to chain it down. If still intact, with its Airstaff, and owned by a different company, it would again...blow smoke, and garner double-digit ratings....all....by.....ITSELF!

Once again readers,....and pay close attention: Once again, the short-shallow vision(if any) of his royal "A"-ness, has dealt another of his alleged smart pills.

I will answer his, using part of his: The only reason that the WSSL owned company purchased WESC...was to chain it down. If still intact, with its Airstaff, and owned by a different company, it would again...blow smoke, and garner double-digit ratings....all....by.....ITSELF!

The only thing blowing smoke around here is sCooter. Guess where???

Talking about Nash FM, it was a terrible move to do it in Columbia, killing off a station with a couple of decades of heritage. Cumulus is all in in this initiative, and it doesn't seem to be working.

All 96.9 has is their Facebook presence, most of it from the Wolf days. They actually have almost 10K more likes than WEZL does on Facebook. They had their popular morning show until Cumulus forced it to move to afternoons to put their national show on.

And WTMA. All the way down to a 1 share. That has to be the lowest that signal has had since the country days in the late 80s.

Its to bad that Star 92.1 dumped Ace and TJ for The Bert Show.
Okay, I hadn't heard this. The Sun News hasn't done a good job covering radio in recent years. They have an occasional detailed article on what's going on, but I don't recall anything about this.

The simple answer would be for half of the stations in the market to shut off their transmitter.
I've been thinking about that lately. The FCC once licensed stations faster than the market could absorb them, and then allowed for consolidation to help them survive. Maybe the FCC should require that half the stations submit their spectrum for auction. Too many of them aren't doing much with them anyway. Simulcasting, trimulcasting and playing music without much in-between isn't exactly serving the public interest. The remaining stations would be in a much stronger position to offer valuable programming.

I've been thinking about that lately. The FCC once licensed stations faster than the market could absorb them, and then allowed for consolidation to help them survive. Maybe the FCC should require that half the stations submit their spectrum for auction.

Auction? Who wants AM spectrum? What would they do with it?

The FCC still sees the need for more, not fewer, radio stations. That's why they approved HD and LPFM. They're not living in the real world.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom