• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

QXFM Station Upgrades

A

Anonymouse

From RadioInsight's FCC report from Yesterday:
"CSSI Non-Profit Educational Broadcasting Corporations seeks upgrades for three of its “QXFM” stations west of Fort Worth. 88.5 KMQX Weatherford, TX seeks an increase from a C3 with 3.5kW at 158 meters to 100kW. 89.1 KSQX Springtown applies to go from a Class A with 3kW at 56 meters to a C2 with 49kW. 89.5 KYQX Weatherford wants to go from a C3 with 4.5kw at 158 meters to a C2 with 26kW."

Last time I was in the area and tuned these in, 88.5 had a Classic Hits format, and 89.1 and 89.5 simulcasted with country. Not the type of format you'd expect to hear on a non-profit, but they sounded great!
How well will these make it into Fort Worth/Dallas?

No more than they currently do, which isn't much at all. They're upgrading to cover a ton of land with a very small population. I believe all of them will now hit Possum Kingdom Lake, though.

88.5 would get still get blown away in Dallas by KEOM Mesquite at 88.5.

The others would get blown out by adjacent KNON 89.3 in Dallas and KVRK 89.7 in Sanger (at least in some of the area).

They're upgrading to cover a ton of land with a very small population.

I'm just speculating here, but from what I've heard they're community-orientated and have been on for a long while. They seem to like what they do. This is just a guess, but I would think that they're upgrading to help out the many small towns who have no local-oriented community stations, or no stations at all.
Their website is QXFM.com if you'd like to give them a listen. I wish them luck, I like their stations!

Last edited:
Qxfm

Here in Granbury 88.5 is the only place I can tune in Rangers Games. 103.3 does come in once in awhile.

The others would get blown out by adjacent KNON 89.3 in Dallas and KVRK 89.7 in Sanger (at least in some of the area).

KMQX, while going from C3 at 3.5KW to C1 at 100KW is staying at 158meters and going directional west. They will cover Jacksboro and Graham with the 60dbU.....but they cannot throw more signal toward FT Worth/Dallas because of cochannel KEOM
Here's their current coverage map: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http...ERFORD&state=TX.kml&output=classic&dg=feature

and their new map at 100KW: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http...ERFORD&state=TX.kml&output=classic&dg=feature

A couple of weeks ago KEOM got knocked off the air thanks to a late afternoon storm. kMQX was in its place as I dodged traffic, fallen tree limbs and non working traffic lights in East Dallas,Lakewood and Casa Linda.

I used to listen to KMQX when I lived in Fort Worth. I liked it then for the same reasons I like KEOM now. :)

I'm just speculating here, but from what I've heard they're community-orientated and have been on for a long while. They seem to like what they do. This is just a guess, but I would think that they're upgrading to help out the many small towns who have no local-oriented community stations, or no stations at all.
Their website is QXFM.com if you'd like to give them a listen. I wish them luck, I like their stations!

Then, there is the "other QX-FM" in East Texas. It is also community oriented, but is commercial. You can listen on line at www.qx-fm.com (don't forget the "dash.")

East Texas' QXFM, I'm sure is great too, however have never heard it's OTA signal. Stream sounds fine though. :) Chuck you should wave or say hi to the others. LOL

East Texas' QXFM, I'm sure is great too, however have never heard it's OTA signal. Stream sounds fine though. :) Chuck you should wave or say hi to the others. LOL

Well, I'll both "Wave" and "Say Hi." I have a lot of friends in the DFW area. :)

Hey Chuck I was in the area yesterday, heard one of their stations (KQXE 91-1 Eastland) on the air with a new country format as "Chuck FM"!

Pretty good music mix. A couple hours later though I tuned in and the audio had a skipping problem. :( I assume it will be fixed though if it's not already, can't check it now.

The other stations I heard sounded nice and clear, for anyone wondering. Whenever I'm in that area, I usually leave it on one of those stations.

Last edited:
Hey Chuck I was in the area yesterday, heard one of their stations (KQXE 91-1 Eastland) on the air with a new country format as "Chuck FM"!

Pretty good music mix. A couple hours later though I tuned in and the audio had a skipping problem. :( I assume it will be fixed though if it's not already, can't check it now.

The other stations I heard sounded nice and clear, for anyone wondering. Whenever I'm in that area, I usually leave it on one of those stations.

I'm not the Eastland stations. We are 100.3 in Longview, 97.9 in Tyler and 1400 AM in Jacksonville. It's an 50's 60's Oldies & Standards station. I also run KDOK which is 1240 AM Kilgore with FM translators at 101.9 Longview and 105.3 Kilgore. It will also be on 107.9 in Henderson in the near future. KDOK is a Classic Hits format, basically pop/rock tunes from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Oh I know you're not the north Texas stations and that you're separate.
I just noticed the names in common with you and the Eastland station. LOL

KMQX 88.5 and KSQX 89.1/KYQX 89.5 have changed their formats.
KMQX is now calling itself Inspired FM with Christian Contemporary music, while KSQX and KYQX are adult hits with the name Chuck FM (Chuck, you'll like this).
I just found these changes. They're still streaming on TuneIn, so that's good.

Not sure about any of their other stations except for KEQX in Stephenville which still runs that classic country music with the name Pure Country. It streams as well. I wonder if KEQX will have to shut down though when the other co-owned stations complete their upgrades?

They've got several other stations and a few translators not yet mentioned in this thread, but the only ones I'm fairly sure that are broadcasting are KMQX, KSQX, KYQX, KEQX, and I believe KQXE might still be on... The other five I haven't heard on, except for KQXB which simulcasted with KEQX a few years ago but which was off last time I was up there.
http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProFacLookup.php?sLicensee=CSSI&tabSearchType=Licensee&order=5|A|N

I can only guess on the silent CSSI stations, but I think it's either technical or there's no one in those areas to run them. :(

Not as much as you may think. I was leaving my office around 6 this evening near Love Field and KEOM was picket-fencing. Perhaps it was late-day tropo or something similar; however, I have noticed KEOM not being strong in areas I think it should be.

So I just checked the streams for KMQX, KSQX, and KYQX... They're all simulcasting each other with the same Chuck-FM variety format!
But why are they doing that? KMQX 88-5 and KYQX 89-5 cover the same areas, so it's weird.

Maybe flipping one to a simulcast of co-owned classic country KEQX in Stephenville would provide some variety on the dial near Mineral Wells and Weatherford?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom