• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.1 Baton Rouge

smashedcd

Star Participant
According to the FCC EMF has asked for an increase in power for 101.1 Baton Rouge which is going to be a translator of 96.1 the River HD2. My question is why? 96.1 HD2 and WYNK HD2 are practically the same station. Playlists are very close to each other. With 96.1 HD2 going a little futher into the 80s, However as of late Downtown Radio has been doing that also. So why doesnt EMF put Air 1 on the translator? Ant thoughts?

It's likely that one will change between now and the time the translator signs on. Downtown Radio gets all of its listeners from 97.7. So, it doesn't matter whether it originates on 96.1 HD2 or 101.5 HD2. It's also possible that one of the HD2's will switch to Air 1 for the translator. That iHeartMedia and EMF have an agreement to work together on translators and HD subchannels is no secret, but they don't do a lot of telegraphing about the specifics.

I actually suspect Downtown radio will move. Since 97.7 came on the air near Raceland you can barely pick up Downtown radio past the ciity limits. Before it reached all the way to Hammond on the East and South it was almost reaching New Orleans. And yes that was with a low powered translator!

Smash, I agree. The first time I drove from Houston to NOLA, I found Downtown Radio 97.7 and it went almost to Laplace with a clear signal. I had never observed a translator that traveled so far. If the new station down the bayou on 97.7 is clobbering Downtown Radio so much, I suspect Iheart will try to change frequency. For what it's worth, Rock 96.3 Nola gets out pretty good also. It reaches all the way to Raceland down Hwy 90.

How does the 101.1 signal travel? I would imagine KBON deteriorates the quality pretty quickly to the west and WNOE clobbers it going east, especially on I-10.

Last edited:
No impact to the west until you get about 10 miles west of Baton Rouge. As far as WNOE it drops out around Denham Springs. So its pretty much a clear frequency inside the city. BTW last night Downtown radio wasnt even clear on Oneill lane inside the city limits. The new tranny is not yet on the air btw.

Yea I check every morning. 97.7 No longer reaches outside the downtown area. Its dead. Killed by that new 100k station to the south.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom