• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music Burn

I'd advise all Program Directors to keep Music Burn in the Back of their minds particularly if you're an Oldies Stations in the same Market as a Variety & Perhaps Classic Hits Format and perhaps cross-overs into the Classic Rock Format. In the Daytona Market we're seeing hellacious burn on several radio stations-from America,Particularly "A Horse With no Name",Lynyrd Skynyrd's-"Sweet Home Alabama" among others,Music Burn is a topic I have not seen a lot of talk about but is something to keep in mind,like I said especially if you program similarly to other stations in your market with 3 Stations that might play the same title...WATCH IT.

How do you ascertain that it's "burn?" Do you do call out to listeners?

Sweet Home Alabama is a song that tests extremely well. So well that Kid Rock copped part of it for one of his hits a few years ago. When I got out to events, and the song comes on the music system, the crowd responds immediately. No groans or evidence of burn.

I'd advise all Program Directors to keep Music Burn in the Back of their minds particularly if you're an Oldies Stations in the same Market as a Variety & Perhaps Classic Hits Format and perhaps cross-overs into the Classic Rock Format.

In the market sizes we have been discussing, stations do auditorium music tests, and generally one of the options given to participants is "Used to like it but am tired of it now".

Callout usually has a developed dislike, never liked and unfamiliar that precedes actually scoring the song; a "never heard before" results in the participant's score being ignored.

All of this takes into account the listener desire to hear a song... or not... anywhere in the market.

If you keep this up with Classic Hits stations, one day you will have no songs left to play.

A "classic hits" station is based on familiarity and favorites. An unfamiliar song is not going to be anyone's favorite and is thus not why people go to stations in that format.

An unfamiliar song is not going to be anyone's favorite

Wrong, wrong WRONG! We've been thru this a thousand times. EVERY song is someone's favorite, some more than others.

You have this crazy idea or "fact" that no one likes music that are not played on classic hits. YOU are very mistaken amigo!

I realize that 400 songs are tested positively on many CH stations, but that does not make the other 9600 songs unliked by someone. You chose the wrong horse to ride.

Oldies76, I agree but the idea is to find those songs the largest number of people in your target demographic like. That is why playlists are small. There are tons of songs I'd love to hear on the radio again but I doubt I will. About the only place you can get away with a bit larger playlist is the small market where there are few choices on the dial and listeners tend not to have another choice to punch in. Then again in the smaller market your target is a wider age group.

In time all of these formats will evolve as new folks move in the demographic and others move out. At least in the last decade or so radio has gotten much better at it. I used to cringe when a station would try to move forward quickly knowing they were likely losing much of their core audience and not so much the younger end of the demo.

Wrong, wrong WRONG! We've been thru this a thousand times. EVERY song is someone's favorite, some more than others.

Stop bringing this up. We're not in the business of playing every song so that at some point we might possibly hit on someone's favorite. That's not going to happen. That's not what the radio is for. So just stop it.

You can argue as long as you want, but if that's your only argument, it's not going to work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom