• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS Launches $5.99 A Month Subscription Streaming Service

I left S.F. long ago and before Mt. San Bruno was constructed. In those days (of analog TV) I could get all the locals living in Daly City and San Rafael. I was not aware that some TV stations do not transmit from Mt. San Bruno. I would have thought that would be necessary.
If Fox can seriously consider replacing KCPQ or KZJO with a station in freaking Bellingham anything is possible. Welcome to a world where broadcast stations have zero incentive to make things easier for OTA viewers. I'm pretty sure the only reason KNTV is on Mt. San Bruno and not Sutro Tower is because of its San Jose roots.

I don't understand or agree with that statement. "Cutting the cord" specifically means dropping cable/sat services and has nothing to do with OTA TV.

Apparently, Don CT disagrees.

If Fox can seriously consider replacing KCPQ or KZJO with a station in freaking Bellingham anything is possible. Welcome to a world where broadcast stations have zero incentive to make things easier for OTA viewers. I'm pretty sure the only reason KNTV is on Mt. San Bruno and not Sutro Tower is because of its San Jose roots.

That is correct, Morgan. KNTV's transmitter was for many years on Mt. Loma Prieta, I believe - in the Santa Cruz mountains. They moved it to Mt. San Bruno, south of San Francisco after they became the NBC station, in order for OTA viewers north of the Golden Gate to get reception. Living where I do (on a hill facing south), their signal came in just as clearly before the transmitter move.

Most San Francisco TV stations have been on Sutro Tower since the tower was built in the mid 50s - before the advent of cable TV. I have heard that others are making the move to Mt. San Bruno, but I'm not sure why, and I don't know which ones.

Cutting the cord means either you cut cable and only watch OTA, or you cut the cord and watch everything over the internet. Most people are doing the latter. Watching OTA still require and antenna, I would rather have it all through a streaming service.

But look at me in Chicago. I live only three miles NW of Willis Tower and I get ZERO TV stations in my area. The FCC could care less that thousands of people in Chicago lost all TV when it went digital.

And to make matters worse, I live in Logan Square and in my section, all I can get for high speed internet is DSL. Comcast does cable but not Internet to my section and ATT only does DSL.

People always think everyone has great choices but here I am in the third largest city in the USA and my choices were taken away or don't exist.

And the surprising this is, I don't really miss it. I have not watched any TV for nearly two years now. (I used to go to the gym to watch TV shows), now I don't bother at all. There's other forms of entertainment.

I thought I'd go nuts, but you'd be surprised how well you can do without it.

Most San Francisco TV stations have been on Sutro Tower since the tower was built in the mid 50s - before the advent of cable TV. I have heard that others are making the move to Mt. San Bruno, but I'm not sure why, and I don't know which ones.

Sutro tower wasn't built until '71 or used until '73. I lived there halfway through '68 and I know it wasn't there then.

Cutting the cord means either you cut cable and only watch OTA, or you cut the cord and watch everything over the internet. Most people are doing the latter. Watching OTA still require and antenna, I would rather have it all through a streaming service.

"Cutting the cord" means nothing more than disconnect yourself from cable and/or sat. It does not imply you still watch OTA or via streaming. Lots of cord cutters buy or rent DVD's for the few shows they watch. It is probably more common for cord cutters to replace cable/sat with OTA or Internet however.

But look at me in Chicago. I live only three miles NW of Willis Tower and I get ZERO TV stations in my area. The FCC could care less that thousands of people in Chicago lost all TV when it went digital.

I think we all agree that the digital conversion was not well thought out nor well tested. Even in areas like mine, flat with no significant obstructions, reception isn't nearly as good as it was with analog.

Are there really people that still watch only 5 or 6 channels? They must be a tiny minority of viewers with very limited tastes who are living in the past, and are content watching the crap (for the most part) that the 4 major networks spew out. I have to wonder if they have cell phones or computers. IMO, the best written and acted dramas are on basic and premium cable.
I did finally get a computer in 2008 because my phone company merged and Internet access was finally cheap enough and I had the courage to be on my own with a comnputer. And with gas at $4 then, it was cheaper than going to the library.

I can't imagine ever having enough time to watch all the shows and movies on cable, but I would like to. What I wouldn't like is spending all that money.

How many cable systems still have what was once called a lifeline package with just the local stations and possibly a few major cable networks like TBS or WGN? I know Charter had it at one time but I'm not sure about it now.
That's what I have with Time Warner (TBS, not actually among my choices, was like an analog station that would have benefited from the type antenna I use now, but now that both TVs with cable have TiVo I've lost that).

An outdoor antenna cost too much and might not have worked with my tree situation, and would have needed turning which wouldn't have worked if I was recording a show on a station in one direction and watching a show in another direction. And one of my OTA stations warned viewers in my area they would lose it when DTV happened. With converter boxes, recording most of the shows I watch wouldn't have been possible with a VCR since it would always be on channel 3, and the DVR Radio Shack told me would work with OTA didn't. I do have one now that will work with OTA if I choose to start over, but it may require deleting everything that's on it now.

Most have a basic package with the locals and a dozen or so junk channels for something around $30/month.
Forgot to mention it was just over $20, but it started out less than half that. If they go digital I know it'll go up a lot more and that's just not right. I was going to be charged when they installed some stuff a year ago, and then I said no, I don't want these three channels. In that case I didn't need them because nothing else was going digital.

Judging by the programming on Lifetime I don't think anyone needs it anymore. It went from your husband is cheating on you movies to dancing tweens.
Rats. I like those "women-in-jep" movies. I saw one over the weekend where this girl stalked the people living in her house. It's not as bad as it sounds since Ben Kingsley and the woman playing his wife were nominated for Oscars.

That movie wasn't made for Lifetime or even for TV.

'The House of Sand and Fog' was pretty deep and thought provoking. I couldn't see LMN or Lifetime coming up with something like that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom