• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Come and get your full power TV station, cheap!

RadioTVDeals.com notes a full power TV for sale at $3 million in an Iowa market rated 51-100 http://www.radiotvdeals.com/m8/1421--iowa-full-power-tv-station-only-3-million.html

Now to cross-reference the FCC's incentive auction estimates, #72 Des Moines-Ames is at $13m / $8 m (m = millions, maximum / median), #90 Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-et al is at $21m / $13m and #100 Davenport, IA-Rock Island-Moline, IL is at $22m / $20m. It's all about proximity to larger metros, in this case Chicago.

If someone was wanting to sell a station for just $3 million in these markets, they either need cash quick or feel the FCC estimates are wildly optimistic.

Some station in one of those three markets needs the money pretty bad, or they'd wait for the incentive auction. I'm going to speculate it's a station that has 10 of its 13 tower lights dark on its 1400 foot tower: KWKB-20 Iowa City.

There was some merit in the Iowa City location when OTA was bigger...serve most of two markets from one transmitter. But now, the Quad Cities (aka Davenport et al) has their own CW affiliate, and their own IPTV/PBS affiliate, plus another independent PBS station on the IL side. CW in Cedar Rapids - Waterloo could easily go on a subchannel, perhaps ION's KPXR-48 Cedar Rapids.

Some speculator could snatch up channel 20, run it bare bones until the auction and net a handsome pay day.

KWKB could be a viable station if someone would be willing to put money into it. It has cable carriage in all of the main cities in the market (Iowa City-Coralville, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo-Cedar Falls, and Dubuque), but I agree that it was better in the old Analog OTA days. They had significant viewership in the Muscatine area before KGWB/KGCW was added to the local cable system.

As far as I know, KWKB does not have an actual local studio. I don't even know where there local office is. No signage or anything.

Their offices are a few miles east of Iowa City, at the tower site in West Branch. It has been a long time since I was in that area, but at that time, there was no studio building. At least according to their Facebook page, they were working on the tower a couple of weeks ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom