• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

740AM at sunset...?

Wimmmex

Star Participant
I was cruising around Eastern Mass around 6PM tonight and thought I would listen to see what happens when WJIB 740AM powers down.

I was expecting to hear CFZM "Zoomer Radio" from Canada come plowing in with classic MOR tunes. However, I started to hear Spanish religion. ("pen-teh-cos-tahl")

What Spanish religion station is on 740AM? I assume this could be a station (somewhere) that didn't power down or do their antenna switch on time.

What time does WJIB power down in October? 6PM?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Using radio-locator advanced search
Search by freq WNYH Huntington NY Spanish

Hmmmm...I see that WNYH is supposed to switch to 43 watts at night.

What time should they have switched during October? Is it 6PM?

Is that the same time WJIB should power down?

Last edited:
Hmmmm...I see that WNYH is supposed to switch to 43 watts at night.

What time should they have switched during October? Is it 6PM?

Is that the same time WJIB should power down?

Huntington is about 250 miles from Cambridge and is a bit farther south. Sunset rolls at 1000 miles per hour, so it is likely that WNYH would be cutting power 15 minutes later than WJIB. Since the power change is an average for each month, it is conceivable that the difference could be 30 minutes in some months due to averaging.

Huntington is about 250 miles from Cambridge and is a bit farther south. Sunset rolls at 1000 miles per hour, so it is likely that WNYH would be cutting power 15 minutes later than WJIB. Since the power change is an average for each month, it is conceivable that the difference could be 30 minutes in some months due to averaging.

You can go to the FCC database for any AM station where there is a clickable link to sunrise/sunset times for a given location. You can also figure any critical hours parameters by adding two hours after sunrise or subtracting two hours before sunset.

BTW, sunrise/sunset only rolls at 1,000 MPH at the equator, and slows as you go north or south, since the circumference of any line of latitude will get smaller as you approach the poles. David, since you used to live in Quito I'll give you a pass on that. :)

Itʼs not just past sunset, itʼs all night.
Theyʼve been in the last four nights—though, Iʼm not sure if it is just propagation or not, but they seemed to have disappeared this morning by 2:30.
Incidently, the TOH-ID is given as a trifecta (WNYG-WNYH-WJDM, not necessarily in that order) voiced by a Spanish announcer, then an English voiceover pops in with a FM translator ID (105. something) for NYC.

BTW, sunrise/sunset only rolls at 1,000 MPH at the equator, and slows as you go north or south, since the circumference of any line of latitude will get smaller as you approach the poles. David, since you used to live in Quito I'll give you a pass on that. :)

I forgot about latitudinal adjustments. So, in fact, there could easily be as much as a half hour difference in power cut time due to averaging between those two stations.

Quito, a part of which literally sits on the Equator, has uniform sunrise and sunset all year round, with variances being in the seconds range.

Of course, there were no daytimers and, save for one station, no directionals so operations did not change at sunrise and sunset.

Theyʼve been in the last four nights—though, Iʼm not sure if it is just propagation or not, but they seemed to have disappeared this morning by 2:30.
You think 48 watts is a propagation issue?
Heh, no, Iʼm saying they had been obviously on day power, but by 2:30 this morning they appeared either gone (i.e., using proper night power), or just weak—due to possibly degraded skywave propagation—and buried under fairly strong 'JIB (here at South Ststion).

Its also an inexact science. You are allowed something like 3 minutes slop and no prohibition on going early, so you can have 3 minutes of the other station still at full power. Also, no one really blinks if that goes a little long, like 10...

The times are a bit early in the beginning of the month, so you never hear the other guy, and a little late toward the end, so you can very much hear the other station still at full power.

And finally you have something called "Gray Line DX" where stations along the terminous of the sunset will propagate along it, sorta like skywave, but a different path.

Yes, it's 6 PM for WJIB in October.... but since WNYH on Long Island is south and west of Cambridge, their time is likely to be 6:15 PM or maybe even 6:30 PM. The further west you go, the more time you have in the evening on high power.... until you hit the next time-zone.

Incidently, the TOH-ID is given as a trifecta (WNYG-WNYH-WJDM, not necessarily in that order) voiced by a Spanish announcer, then an English voiceover pops in with a FM translator ID (105. something) for NYC.

Radio Cantico Nuevo. They own WNYG 1440 Medford, Long Island and lease time on 740 WNYH Huntington, Long Island (The one time WGSM), 1530 WJDM Elizabeth, NJ (a Daytimer), WVIP 93.5 HD-4 New Rochelle, and the 106.3 Translator in NYC simulcasts WVIP HD-4.

They're a very poor outfit. Often times over-modulated and distorted. From May 2007 until January 2012 they were on 24/7 on AM 990 in Hartford.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom