• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.5 wvlk

jb_ky

Frequent Participant
Not sure if this means anything, but they are broadcasting in stereo. Just noticed this today.

Has always been mono.

Aren't they owned by Cumulus (aka the one radio owner that somehow makes even Clear Channel/iHeartMedia look like they're completely competent)? I never looked at their ratings until now, it's amazing that they can be the lowest-rated station in Lexington, yet they've got a signal strong that I can often pick up in Louisville with little trouble.

Maybe they'll go Nash Icon? That seems to be the way Cumulus works, create a brand and make it work (or just make it happen, it doesn't have to actually work) everywhere. Nash Icon is their current brand that they're trying to spread everywhere. I don't know how cluttered the country music radio scene is in Lexington (I'd imagine there are a lot, after all, this is Kentucky), but neither does Cumulus since they don't have the time to see what is going on in their markets and they'd do it anyway.

Oh yeah, it is owned by Cumulus radio. We already have a Nash FM station. 92.9 which doesn't compare to 98.1 the Bull.

101.5 is a repeater of 590 AM. It hasn't been in stereo in about 10 years. Just wonder if they plan on doing something else with it.

Why not Christmas music? ;)

Much of the reason the simulcast exist is due to the poor night signal of 590. A major null goes through the southern part of Lexington. There was an almost deal in place with 101.5's predecessor 101.7. It was either going to be an outright purchase or LMA to use the frequency like it is being used today to fill in where the AM has issues. The deal fell through when Kentucky Central became insolvent. Can't remember if the upgrade happened before or after it sold but eventually 101.5 became part of the cluster.

Speaking of 590 its signal and audio quality isn't what it used to be. The daytime signal appears to be at lower power than 5kw and the night time signal is a mess. Drove by the transmitter site and it looks like hell compared to how it looked back in the day. There was a tree growing inside a tower fence.

As far as being stereo, it might just be status. :)

I knew Lexington had Nash, but Nash Icon is the "country hits of the 90s" spinoff of Nash FM that Cumulus just started a few months ago... and they're going into markets that already have Nash FM. They're really trying to push this Icons and Cumulus registered lexingtonnashicon.com back in August, though that doesn't mean a whole lot since they registered (city name)nashicon.com in almost every city they do business.

Right before Cumulus dumped Sports Talk on WQKC 93.9 (Sellersburg Indiana) they turned on the Stereo signal. Next thing you know,it's Classic Hits WLCL.
Cumulus shut down the station in August 2010 and then leased it to WAY-FM until earlier this year. 93.9 has been silent (for the most part) since April 25.
Cumulus can't seem to figure out what to do with the station. It has a really good signal in Louisville.

With the Joe B and Denny show ending next Friday, wonder who will be the replacement or will they just air Live with Lee?

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/2014/10/23/joe-b-denny-show-might-done/17798681/

Hall and Lankster said that WVLK has changed formats and cut ties with the Joe B. and Denny Show. But Hall and Lankster said they have been in talks with several other Lexington-area stations to keep the show alive there, and added that their relationship with WKRD remains strong.

Last edited:
It looks like 101.5 isn't a complete simulcast of 590, and (unless the info on their websites is wrong) the only thing that makes them different is that the AM airs Lee Cruse when the FM goes to Joe B. and Denny. That would explain why only the FM going away would mean that Joe B. and Denny would be going away.

I think the FM is going to go Nash Icon... that's what Cumulus is currently trying to push as they work hard to create a number of brands that they can count on their fingers to put on the air nationwide.

It looks like 101.5 isn't a complete simulcast of 590, and (unless the info on their websites is wrong) the only thing that makes them different is that the AM airs Lee Cruse when the FM goes to Joe B. and Denny. That would explain why only the FM going away would mean that Joe B. and Denny would be going away.

I think the FM is going to go Nash Icon... that's what Cumulus is currently trying to push as they work hard to create a number of brands that they can count on their fingers to put on the air nationwide.

Maybe that's why Hank 96.1 hired Karl Shannon?

It's possible that is why. I think 101.5 has the better signal and coverage. Not by much though.

101.5 does air the Cincinnati Red's game. So yeah, it isn't 100% 590.

We don't need another country station in this town or surrounding towns. 92.9, 96.1, 98.1, 100.7, 104.9

This could just be pure coincidence, but I was just reading that Garth Brooks has a concert tour that is making a stop in Lexington on Friday and Saturday. Artists like Garth Brooks are EXACTLY what Nash Icons is all about. What better time to make a flip than when the whole city is making a big deal about Garth Brooks? Garth Brooks is the sole reason Nash Icons exists, and any time that Cumulus brings up Nash Icons, Garth Brooks is the first name that they spit out.

It also works in Cumulus' favor that they're trying to make an entire brand that extends far beyond radio on this Nash Icons. They want Nash Icons to be in your face, as a radio station, record label, and they're even planning a full concert tour with this next summer. The only way that they could hope for this to work is to get it on the air in as many markets as possible, even if there isn't enough room in the market for more country music. Because they're Cumulus and they'll do whatever they need to do to fill their holes, regardless of whether or not it makes sense or listeners need/want it. I'm just thankful Cumulus is gone in Louisville (hopefully for good) or else we'd be dealing with it too...

I bet you are right with Garth coming to town.

Maybe they will pull what 98.1 did the last time he came here. Garth 101.5.

It's worth reminding that 92.9 was a very dominant country station as K93. Ralph and Kentucky Central created a monster and it actually grew under HMH in ratings and revenue, then came Cumulus who cork screwed it into the ground. John Sebastian confused the world by calling it the "Bear" against the "Bull" adding crossover music. He got his one book, his usual procedure (see KHJ), and left town. By the time it was said and done 92.9 had ratings that it hadn't seen since it signed on the air in the early sixties. Someone should take a bow for that accomplishment because that's incompetence to go from a signal that printed money to a money pit. 92.9 has the best FM signal in the market and class A's were beating them. Just mind boggling.

As I mentioned 590 needs 101.5 as the AM signal has many issues from neglect and that null that runs through where the population migrated.

Based upon what you're saying and the Cumulus business model, I can't see any way that 101.5 will avoid a fate other than Nash Icon by the end of the week. Cumulus has been criticized quite a bit over their steamrolling of Nash Icon into markets where it isn't wanted, needed, or appropriate, even extreme by Cumulus standards. They've killed off stations with other formats (even some with decent ratings) and thrown this Nash Icon on the air in markets that are already flooded with country music stations. I think that Lexington, though, will probably be the most crowded of the markets that they're throwing it into. But does it matter to Cumulus? Not really.

I never understood why they changed the name and called it the bear. K93 was a better and "ICON" name.

I did hear 103.3 playing the Judds song yesterday around 3 pm for some reason. We all looked at each other in the office and said who changed the station, but it was on 103.3.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom