• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

‘Bewitched’ Remake Eyed By Networks

We do have "Last Man Standing", though the blowhard conservative is an executive dressed for the outdoors, not a blue-collar worker ("Edith, I don't woik. I'm a foreman.").

LMS is a century removed from All In The Family and the lead character is definitely not a conservative blowhard (even though he does get in some jobs every now and then). Archie Bunker was a out and out bigot and fascist. Mike Baxter is neither of these nor is the show primarily about conservative vs liberal politics as was AITF.

Now Good Times with a 2014 twist could work imagine JJ tweeting #dynomite to his dates and the family instead of having 1 phone has those obamaphones with a android OS, Wilona can tweet the neighborhood gossip on facebook and/or twitter.

LMS is a century removed from All In The Family and the lead character is definitely not a conservative blowhard (even though he does get in some jobs every now and then). Archie Bunker was a out and out bigot and fascist. Mike Baxter is neither of these nor is the show primarily about conservative vs liberal politics as was AITF.
No, I guess we can't compare the two. So this is as good as it gets. But one has to admit the Mike vs. Ryan debats are somewhat similar to Archie vs. Meathead.

But one has to admit the Mike vs. Ryan debats are somewhat similar to Archie vs. Meathead.

I think your memory of AITF is suspect. Archie and Meathead used to go hammer and tong against each other on any topic from Vietnam to women's rights. Almost everything Meathead supported Archie was against and neither one was shy about shouting out loud - in fact, that is why I finally turned off the program. It got very unfunny.

The vast majority of Mike's comments to Ryan (and wife and daughters and Ed) are one-liners. Quick and done and don't create giant shouting matches. Even his debates with his Black next door neighbor weren't nearly as combative as a mild exchange between Archie and almost everybody else.

Last edited:

I think your memory of AITF is suspect. Archie and Meathead used to go hammer and tong against each other on any topic from Vietnam to women's rights. Almost everything Meathead supported Archie was against and neither one was shy about shouting out loud - in fact, that is why I finally turned off the program. It got very unfunny.

The vast majority of Mike's comments to Ryan (and wife and daughters and Ed) are one-liners. Quick and done and don't create giant shouting matches. Even his debates with his Black next door neighbor weren't nearly as combative as a mild exchange between Archie and almost everybody else.
You could be right about my not remembering it correctly. Now that I read your more detailed description I realize it was more like you say than Mike and Ryan and Mike and Larabee. Mike is considerably milder. Last Friday's exchange between Mike and Ryan, though, compared favorably with a typical Archie vs. Meathead debate. Not a genuinely hot one. And you'll probably say no to that one too.

Last Friday's exchange between Mike and Ryan, though, compared favorably with a typical Archie vs. Meathead debate. Not a genuinely hot one. And you'll probably say no to that one too.

Actually, while I was watching it I thought about what I had just written and thought "what a poor time for Mike and Ryan to after each other". I agree with you - it was reminiscent of the old AITF arguments although not quite as hateful.

I'm glad we can agree on something.

I probably should never have attempted to compare "All in the Family" to "Last Man Standing" except to say the newer show is a cheap imiatation and all we can get nowadays. But it's entertaining enough for me even if not groundbreaking. To be outraged these days, you have to watch Seth MacFarlane's animated comedies.

I probably should never have attempted to compare "All in the Family" to "Last Man Standing" except to say the newer show is a cheap imiatation and all we can get nowadays. But it's entertaining enough for me even if not groundbreaking. To be outraged these days, you have to watch Seth MacFarlane's animated comedies.

Every show has some features that can be traced back to another. After all, we are living in the 2nd Century of TV/movies so there are a limited number of appropriate subjects available to air. But I really don't think LMS was written as an afterthought to AITF. AITF was very political and also challenged the then-current ideas of political correctness, culture, human rights, sexual topics and so on. LMS does nothing but make infrequent jabs at gubmint and politics. Most of the humor is directed elsewhere. Other people have said it follows House Improvement but I don't see that either unless the family arrangement is somehow supposed to be a play with 3 girls instead of 3 boys. The subjects are not the same nor are the actors or characters similar to each other. In HI the family was a "typical" American family growing up. In LMS the family is largely grown and the head of house is trying to cope with the independence of his offspring and advancing age.

If they do go ahead and do this remake they better find a good time slot to fit it in, given the track record NBC is having with the current sitcoms.

No, Mike is nothing compared to Archie. Ed on "Anger Management" is a bigot, and a nasty one. We're not even supposed to like him. Maybe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom