• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

92.7 WQBU Spanish News to Flip to Music

With poor ratings, 92.7 will flip to regional mexican within the next few weeks.

Do you have a source for this, or is it just a guess?
It did seem like a mistake for WQBU to give up the Mexican programming they had a few years ago. I believe the subsequent formats had lower ratings.
Perhaps Univision overpaid for this station when they shelled out around 60 million dollars for it.

Do you have a source for this, or is it just a guess?
It did seem like a mistake for WQBU to give up the Mexican programming they had a few years ago. I believe the subsequent formats had lower ratings.
Perhaps Univision overpaid for this station when they shelled out around 60 million dollars for it.
Heard from a source

As I said to my coworkers when we were stocking shatter-proof Christmas ornaments at the new store we were setting up - Prove it.

In the case of this radio station rumor - provide us with a link.

how can i provide you with a link when i heard it from a source within the company?

If Univision does not sell WQBU, a flip back to Regional Mexican music may make sense. The only station serving the large Mexican-American community in this area is WWRL 1600 AM, which has an awful signal. Though the formerly popular Piolin morning show no longer exists, Univision has successful personalities in L.A. and in other markets they could pipe into New York during the AM hours.
The current mix on WQBU of low rated Univision talk shows and Spanish soft A/C music seems to be temporary programming.
I would expect WWRL to change their Mexican music format to something else if WQBU picks it up.

Though the formerly popular Piolin morning show no longer exists, Univision has successful personalities in L.A. and in other markets they could pipe into New York during the AM hours.
They'll have the same morning show that's heard in other markets, same type of programming

since am is dying how hard it it today to get the fcc to change a pattern? nightime on wwrl, cuts off northern Staten island yonkers new Rochelle, where lots of blacks still live...

Unless highly protected stations on the same channel and adjacent ones permanently sign off, there is no way to change patterns or power levels. At the moment, we are not seeing such stations closing down...

WWRL increased coverage considerably some years ago in a plan that included buying WLNG (AM) in Sag Harbor and shutting it off.

There is not much the FCC can achieve via rule changes as we are dealing with the laws of physics just as much as the rules of government.

It makes sense to at least try Mexican music one more time. I, along with two partners have investment in 26 restaurants. While 'QBU was R-M I did hear it frequently in the kitchens and prep areas of out locations -where it could be received. After they went talk, I began to see phones plugged into the stereos and boomboxes. Most of this is personal music collections, but also they stream stations from home town stations in Mexico.

There are upwards of a quarter-million Mexican nationals here in the five boroughs. Many are well paid and they do spend a lot on tech, clothes and entertainment. Most of our cooks earn $47k/yr+. Most are unmarried and live several to an apt. They have a fair amount of disposable income. It is a niche worth going for.

Chan/NYC

There are upwards of a quarter-million Mexican nationals here in the five boroughs.

The full NYC MSA has 548,000 persons 6+ who are Mexican or of Mexican heritage. That data comes from Nielsen, which uses data based on the Census, ACS and Claritas projections and estimates.

I supposed this will put WWRL 1600 out of business. I wonder what's next for that station.

Even more unfortunate was the passing of WWRL's morning host, Hugo Cadelago, last Friday after a brief hospitalization. Hugo was a great talent, a long-time friend and he will be missed.

Condolences to la famila Cadelago. I thought that WWRL would do fairly well with the format to itself. Maybe it still can, as there is just so much good music that comes out of Mexico, they could focus heavily on one or 2 genres, or go with more gold and recurrent titles and draw well. I assume WQBU will be leaning more towards newer music.

Condolences to la famila Cadelago. I thought that WWRL would do fairly well with the format to itself. Maybe it still can, as there is just so much good music that comes out of Mexico, they could focus heavily on one or 2 genres, or go with more gold and recurrent titles and draw well. I assume WQBU will be leaning more towards newer music.

WWRL does not encode for Nielsen's PPM, so we don't have any idea if they were doing well or not.

In any event, the Mexican community in the New York metro comes almost exclusively from the state of Puebla and a few surrounding states, such as Hidalgo and Tlaxcala and will share a great commonality in music taste... and a common dislike for AM radio which we know is being almost totally phased out in Mexico.

With those being mountainous states, AM wouldn't do all that well because of conductivity any way. I didn't know WWRL wasn't encoded. WQBU will probably take every listener they might have. There's really no really nothing that station could do, unless they flipped full time to serve an underserved market.

WQBU should do well. If they reach and can hold a large percentage of the Mexican/Mexican American audience, then they're set.

As I said to my coworkers when we were stocking shatter-proof Christmas ornaments at the new store we were setting up - Prove it.

In the case of this radio station rumor - provide us with a link.

I believe it has now been proven :) I had this inside scoop the last week of September

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom