• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cumulus Following In The Steps Of Citadel

Nash actually has been a success. The problem is they've only addressed one format, and allowed the others to die on the vine.
At least NASH involves an understandable strategy. It is an attempt to create value through branded content apart from transmitters. For the most part, I watch radio consolidators and it's hard to articulate any strategy at all other than to cut costs and restructure debt while extracting as much personal income as possible.

I watch radio consolidators and it's hard to articulate any strategy at all other than to cut costs and restructure debt while extracting as much personal income as possible.

The programming strategy usually isn't articulated publicly because those who do it don't speak publicly. When only the CEOs talk, all you get is financial speak.

The programming strategy usually isn't articulated publicly because those who do it don't speak publicly. When only the CEOs talk, all you get is financial speak.
The last thing I would do is listen to what they say because I know it's all Public Relations blather. That's why I said "watch" instead of "listen to". When I said "hard to articulate" I meant me.

Any time the principals buy up their own company's stock while swearing up and down that business is good, that's never a good sign.

Insider buying of a company shares is universally regarded to be a strong "buy" signal. It means that the insiders believe that the shares will appreciate in value. In fact, many stock analysis sites like Morningstar report on insider ownership and trading as it is such a good buy or sell indicator.

Apple is flush with cash. Cumulus is just "flushed". Maybe the precipitous drop was sparked by John Dickey unloading 8500 shares on September 18th. Overall, Cumulus Media Inc.'s shares have declined 49.81% since the beginning of 2014. The next "big moment" will be when they report third quarter results - or when they finally make a major hire at corporate.

I agree with you about the AM problem, and they inherited a ton of loser AMs from Citadel. Something needs to be done to address the talk radio problem, which we've discussed here many times. It's not exclusive to Cumulus, but it really stands out with their heritage major market AMs. They don't need a medicine man. There is no such thing.

"Medicine Man" is a term used by some professional business writers and analysts to describe a guy like Pittman.

They need someone who really understands the bigger picture, and knows how to multi-task. I think that's what's missing. They need someone like Bob Pittman, who knows how to build investor confidence, build new partnerships, and build a digital platform that is worthy of a major radio owner. Personally, I'd vote for Dan Mason. But he wouldn't take the job.

It's a good thing Mason didn't read your post while eating. He would have nose-spewed all over his tablet.

I know...the problem with this gig is there aren't many real radio visionaries who also have Wall Street bona fides. I know a lot of great radio programmers who might be visionaries if given a top job, but they're not well known in the investment world. On the other had, some great investment people who are complete zeros in programming. By putting his brother as EVP of Programming, he telegraphs that he mainly wants an investment wizard. But if this company is going to expand, it needs to find a growth area beyond towers and transmitters, and that means programming. And as we said, the best investment folks aren't going to be taking orders from Lew. What do you want? A spender or a saver? You need someone who can do both. That's what Pittman has done.

No news on the call today. Status quo. Revenues are flat. "The worst is behind us," so says Lew.

The market reacts by dropping the stock below $3 in after hours trading, a 52-week low. So maybe the worst is not yet over.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom