• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

93.5 Translator in Fort Lauderdale

To quote " it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
Oh, good; now we're resorting to personal attacks via quotation. Very mature of you.

Again: few... very few... listeners know the ownership of the station they listen to. If you look at diaries, you see how few even know the call letter or name of a station. They know the address... the dial position... and little else.
That's a huge assumption that gets very little correct. A: People are lazy and diary participation has never been wholly up to par, which is the reason that B: we now live in the age of PPM currency when diaries don't mean jack squat. C: If the samples are truly as random as they're supposed to be, you're going to get more than your fair share of diary households that just don't pay attention to these things. And D: just given the sheer numbers, you cannot possibly rely on diary results to make the claim that the majority of listeners don't know the ownership of a given station.

You make intelligent points from time to time, David. This is not one of those times, and it's painfully obvious.

Oh, good; now we're resorting to personal attacks via quotation. Very mature of you.

Actually, a quote from Macbeth that is intended to show that exaggeration does not win arguments.

That's a huge assumption that gets very little correct. A: People are lazy and diary participation has never been wholly up to par, which is the reason that B: we now live in the age of PPM currency when diaries don't mean jack squat. C: If the samples are truly as random as they're supposed to be, you're going to get more than your fair share of diary households that just don't pay attention to these things. And D: just given the sheer numbers, you cannot possibly rely on diary results to make the claim that the majority of listeners don't know the ownership of a given station.

1. Diaries are still used in 200 markets.
2. Radio got, against its will, the PPM because agencies demanded a system with faster deliver and more historic tracking (requiring a panel).
3. The diary is an accepted instrument in all but the largest TV markets as well.
4. Diaries are not filled in by households but individuals in households.
5. In a random sample, you will get a true cross section of the population and most people in the population have no idea who owns radio stations and they don't care.
6. After looking at millions and millions of diary entries both in person and via tabulations in Arbitron software, it is very conclusive that most people identify stations by dial positions, with much fewer knowing call letters or names. In that environment, you can't reasonably expect that they know the ownership of a station.

Add to that my own experience in radio research, full of anecdotes. One which was repeated over and over during many years was a situation that came up in one-on-one and focus group perceptuals where a big morning talent referred to the station he was on as "my station". Listeners asked why, if he owned the station, did he allow certain things to happen.

Even stations owned by major TV networks and which used the network name in the on-air IDs and promos did not get correct ownership attribution.

Based on experience, I'd bet that a true random sample in the top 100 markets would find that less than 5% of them know the ownership. In the case of iHeart, I'd bet that while some listeners know that a station is "an iHeart station", they think that it means that the station streams on the iHeart app and that they don't know iHeart is actually a company that owns stations.

You make intelligent points from time to time, David. This is not one of those times, and it's painfully obvious.

After you've interviewed or surveyed a hundred thousand listers or so you'd think differently. Radio is an appliance, and listeners don't analyze the behind the scenes aspects like who owns a station.

Actually, a quote from Macbeth that is intended to show that exaggeration does not win arguments.
Yes, as I said, "personal attacks via quotation." You don't pay very close attention, do you? And I wasn't exaggerating. Your attempt to diminish my valid point through a literary reference was both ill-advised and factually incorrect.

1. Diaries are still used in 200 markets.
2. Radio got, against its will, the PPM because agencies demanded a system with faster deliver and more historic tracking (requiring a panel).
3. The diary is an accepted instrument in all but the largest TV markets as well.
4. Diaries are not filled in by households but individuals in households.
None of that contradicts the point that I made.

5. In a random sample, you will get a true cross section of the population...
Yeah, Nielsen's been doing a real good job of proving that lately. Oh, wait...

...and most people in the population have no idea who owns radio stations and they don't care.
Both untrue and irrelevant. Even if most people didn't know or care, all it would take is a vocal minority pointing out the follies of the companies in question to put a negative twist on the names in the public consciousness. Most people have heard of Clear Channel, most people have associated the name with bad business practices, and that's why they changed the name. Whether anyone knows that they own stations in their local market or not doesn't matter. And the fact is, many people do know the Clear Channel stations in their market for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

6. After looking at millions and millions of diary entries both in person and via tabulations in Arbitron software, it is very conclusive that most people identify stations by dial positions, with much fewer knowing call letters or names. In that environment, you can't reasonably expect that they know the ownership of a station.
Sure you can. Frequency is easy to remember. Call letters, formats and names change. That's not what listeners pay attention to. But if the same station on a given frequency is always running promotional spots referring to "Clear Channel," you can bet good money they know that it's a Clear Channel station regardless of call letters or branding.

Add to that my own experience in radio research, full of anecdotes. One which was repeated over and over during many years was a situation that came up in one-on-one and focus group perceptuals where a big morning talent referred to the station he was on as "my station". Listeners asked why, if he owned the station, did he allow certain things to happen.
And? I never said there weren't people out there who weren't aware, I merely said that people generally associate bad things with the name Clear Channel, and that many (more than you're apparently willing to admit) do know Clear Channel stations because they spent so many years being bombarded with the corporate name on them. That you repeatedly got people who were unaware of a station's ownership doesn't negate anything I've said.

Even stations owned by major TV networks and which used the network name in the on-air IDs and promos did not get correct ownership attribution.
Oh come on; really, David? Now you're comparing apples and oranges. Plenty of non-O&O stations brand with their network and channel number regardless of ownership, so of course people wouldn't be able to tell that a station is an O&O just from being branded as, say, "NBC 8." That's a ridiculous comparison.

Based on experience, I'd bet that a true random sample in the top 100 markets would find that less than 5% of them know the ownership. In the case of iHeart, I'd bet that while some listeners know that a station is "an iHeart station", they think that it means that the station streams on the iHeart app and that they don't know iHeart is actually a company that owns stations.
We weren't talking about association with the name iHeart, we were talking about association with the name Clear Channel. And this particular assumption of yours is rather ignorant of the history the two names have together. Clear Channel owned iHeart before Clear Channel became iHeart, and the same people who would know a station owned by Clear Channel (many more of whom exist than you'd like to believe) would know that a station on iHeart is more likely than not a Clear Channel station. They simply might not be aware that the corporate name has changed. Which is exactly why they changed the corporate name: they don't want people associating all the negativity of Clear Channel with iHeart. What part of this can't you comprehend?

After you've interviewed or surveyed a hundred thousand listers or so you'd think differently. Radio is an appliance, and listeners don't analyze the behind the scenes aspects like who owns a station.
They don't have to do any analysis when the name is mentioned in every 8-minute-long stop set for years on end.

After you've interviewed or surveyed a hundred thousand listeners or so, you'd think you'd know better.

Even if most people didn't know or care, all it would take is a vocal minority pointing out the follies of the companies in question to put a negative twist on the names in the public consciousness. Most people have heard of Clear Channel, most people have associated the name with bad business practices, and that's why they changed the name. Whether anyone knows that they own stations in their local market or not doesn't matter. And the fact is, many people do know the Clear Channel stations in their market for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

While many people may have heard the name "Clear Channel" they don't have any real associations attached to the name. A "clear channel" is an obsolete name for the kind of frequency Lowry Mays' second station was on. Perhaps relevant in the 30's and 40's and into the 50's, but meaningless today, so hard to associate with a current radio operation.

Most people have heard of "Proctor & Gamble" too. A company that specializes in brand marketing did a test a few years back. P&G makes hundreds of products under over 60 different brands just in the US. A random sample of people was asked to name just 10 P&G brands. Nearly everyone came up with 4 or 4 brands before giving up, while few could name 10. Of the ones named, about two thirds were not P&G brands.

P&G is the most successful marketer in the history of the world. Their brands are generally market leaders. But few can associate those successful brands with their maker.

The same happens with radio stations. KIIS in LA or WHTZ in New York are very famous stations in their markets with cumes in the several million range. But, like P&G, the vast and almost total majority of listeners don't know that KIIS or WHTZ were owned by Clear Channel.

Listeners don't care if Clear Channel was over-leveraged prior to the beginning of the recession. They don't care if Clear Channel implemented voice tracking at some stations. They certainly would not have much of an opinion on whether such things were "bad practices" because the average person is not involved in running a business.

As to changing the name, we have a comparable situation to the Redstone's split of Viacom into two divisions to enhance market value. The change was motivated by investor perceptions that Viacom was an old media company, and the analysts who tracked it were those who specialized in old media investments.

Clear Channel was tracked by analysts who followed Radio One and Cumulus. As Bob Pittman moved the company to a new media future, they were not being perceived as being a new media company. Since it's obvious that the exit strategy of the investment bankers that control the company was an IPO or some form of ownership sale, they needed to create an image of being in a different sector.

Oh come on; really, David? Now you're comparing apples and oranges. Plenty of non-O&O stations brand with their network and channel number regardless of ownership, so of course people wouldn't be able to tell that a station is an O&O just from being branded as, say, "NBC 8." That's a ridiculous comparison.

I've been part of a study of a group of radio stations that are owned by a network parent and identified and promoted as the radio part of that brand. After years and years, about 95% of actual listeners, when asked "who would you say owns that station" could not identify the owner.

We weren't talking about association with the name iHeart, we were talking about association with the name Clear Channel. And this particular assumption of yours is rather ignorant of the history the two names have together. Clear Channel owned iHeart before Clear Channel became iHeart, and the same people who would know a station owned by Clear Channel (many more of whom exist than you'd like to believe) would know that a station on iHeart is more likely than not a Clear Channel station. They simply might not be aware that the corporate name has changed. Which is exactly why they changed the corporate name: they don't want people associating all the negativity of Clear Channel with iHeart. What part of this can't you comprehend?

I doubt 1% of listeners to iHeart streams prior to the parent company name change had a clue as to who owned the company behind the app. They thought iHeart was iHeart and it was a way to listen to hundreds and hundreds of streams, with a vast number not even owned by Clear Channel, including direct competitors in the OTA radio arena. In fact, it appears that "most" are not owned by iHeart with stations from groups like Beasley Broadcast Group. Cox Radio, Cumulus Media, Emmis Communications, Federated Media, Greater Media, Salem Communications, Turner Broadcasting, Univision Radio, Grupo Radio Centro, Grupo ACIR, Grupo Radio México all participating just in the US.

At this point, I have to ask what Clear Channel did to you that you think that the whole world knows who they are and similarly believes that they are any more "bad" or "evil" than other companies who were caught and ravaged by the recession.

While many people may have heard the name "Clear Channel" they don't have any real associations attached to the name.
That's a load of crap, David. I'd love, at this point, to know just what financial interest you have in defending them, because it's obvious that you have at least something there to stand up for. No unaffiliated person in radio would be so adamant in arguing a point that is such a blatant untruth.

Most people have heard of "Proctor & Gamble" too. A company that specializes in brand marketing did a test a few years back. P&G makes hundreds of products under over 60 different brands just in the US. A random sample of people was asked to name just 10 P&G brands. Nearly everyone came up with 4 or 4 brands before giving up, while few could name 10. Of the ones named, about two thirds were not P&G brands.

P&G is the most successful marketer in the history of the world. Their brands are generally market leaders. But few can associate those successful brands with their maker.
And just like the TV analogy, you're comparing apples to oranges. The marketing strategies differ, the consumer habits differ, and the purposes for both differ. Besides, at no point did I ever say that listeners could list off a certain number of Clear Channel stations. I said that they know of Clear Channel stations in their market or, at the very least, they've heard of Clear Channel and the negative things associated with the company. Similarly, most people may not be able to name a certain number of P&G products, but anyone at my end of my generation or older likely remembers the controversy over their former logo. That would be a much more accurate comparison to make here.

The same happens with radio stations. KIIS in LA or WHTZ in New York are very famous stations in their markets with cumes in the several million range. But, like P&G, the vast and almost total majority of listeners don't know that KIIS or WHTZ were owned by Clear Channel.
And again, it doesn't take a vast or total majority, it takes a vocal minority.

Listeners don't care if Clear Channel was over-leveraged prior to the beginning of the recession.
No, but they certainly care about the results that have come about because of it.

They don't care if Clear Channel implemented voice tracking at some stations.
Haha! Oh yes they do, David! They may not know what it is by name, but they can tell you when a DJ sounds canned. "It's like he isn't really there." "Is that from a network?" "Why doesn't she talk about anything local?" All things I've heard (among many others) in my two decades in this business. Listeners know the difference. They just don't know the technical details.

They certainly would not have much of an opinion on whether such things were "bad practices" because the average person is not involved in running a business.
I've told you before and I'll tell you again, David: radio is not a business, radio is radio. It's mass media. People pay much more attention to the way it's produced than most anything else, because the way it's produced directly affects the quality of product they receive, and if they're no longer entertained, they stop buying. Radio's been engaging in bad practices for far too long, and people are tuning out faster than they ever have before. They have other means of getting what they want, and radio has, for the longest time, refused to keep up with them. That's bad business practices directly affecting the product, the listener paying attention to it, and ultimately hurting the bottom line. Exactly the opposite of what you claim happens.

As to changing the name, we have a comparable situation to the Redstone's split of Viacom into two divisions to enhance market value. The change was motivated by investor perceptions that Viacom was an old media company, and the analysts who tracked it were those who specialized in old media investments.
The difference here is that Viacom actually had a decent public perception around the name. Clear Channel did not.

Clear Channel was tracked by analysts who followed Radio One and Cumulus. As Bob Pittman moved the company to a new media future, they were not being perceived as being a new media company. Since it's obvious that the exit strategy of the investment bankers that control the company was an IPO or some form of ownership sale, they needed to create an image of being in a different sector.
Uh-huh. And did he make that decision before or after the mist tunnel debacle? The timing would suggest after. Yeah, I'd want to run the hell away from that gaffe, too, if I were him. Now, yes, that's a ridiculous accusation to make, rebranding and entire corporation just because you as CEO made a highly publicized stupid mistake, but the official line that it's a shedding of an old-media image is just as ridiculous. Most younger people weren't aware of what a technological "clear channel" was to begin with, and it didn't hurt their business for this long. That was no reason to change it. The negative public perception that they've built around the name, however, would explain a lot. It does explain a lot. Which could be because it is the real reason.

I've been part of a study of a group of radio stations that are owned by a network parent and identified and promoted as the radio part of that brand. After years and years, about 95% of actual listeners, when asked "who would you say owns that station" could not identify the owner.
Again, network O&O's are not a suitable baseline. Especially not in radio. How many non-Clear Channel stations carry Premiere shows? How many non-CBS (or Cumulus today) stations carry Westwood One programming? And how many radio listeners associate Premiere with Clear Channel or Westwood One with either CBS or Cumulus? The names aren't mentioned together in that context anywhere near as often as Clear Channel has been over their years in the context of promotions on their own stations. You're not going to get the same name recognition with radio networks that you do with parent companies. It's simply another ridiculous comparison.

I doubt 1% of listeners to iHeart streams prior to the parent company name change had a clue as to who owned the company behind the app. They thought iHeart was iHeart and it was a way to listen to hundreds and hundreds of streams, with a vast number not even owned by Clear Channel, including direct competitors in the OTA radio arena. In fact, it appears that "most" are not owned by iHeart with stations from groups like Beasley Broadcast Group. Cox Radio, Cumulus Media, Emmis Communications, Federated Media, Greater Media, Salem Communications, Turner Broadcasting, Univision Radio, Grupo Radio Centro, Grupo ACIR, Grupo Radio México all participating just in the US.
Most of my non-radio friends knew, and I didn't even have to tell them. They just assumed, since the vast majority of stations on the app that they would pay attention to are Clear Channel stations. It doesn't matter that other companies have jumped on board since the app launched, they remember that it started with Clear Channel, and Clear Channel is the biggest promoter, especially with the associated music festival. Is my circle of non-radio friends more savvy than others? I would hardly think so. They span a wide range of age groups, backgrounds, tastes and listening habits. There's no real way to subjectively qualify it, but they make up a fairly good representation of the general public. And they know. Not because I told them, but because they're not stupid or ignorant.

At this point, I have to ask what Clear Channel did to you that you think that the whole world knows who they are and similarly believes that they are any more "bad" or "evil" than other companies who were caught and ravaged by the recession.
I never said that the whole world knows who they are or that they're any worse than other companies -- who were ravaged by their own practices, not the recession; they were going down in flames long before 2009, so you can get that idiotic notion out of your head right now. They did nothing to me personally, they were simply at the forefront of the destruction of the industry. They were the poster child for post-'96 consolidation, racking up massive amounts of debt (that they still have and will never, ever be able to pay off) to buy up stations that they have done nothing but cut and cut and cut and cut back on, damn near gutting a good many of them and setting the trend for just about every other major owner to follow, which in turn set the trend for the rest of the business, because financially, nobody could keep up. Not to mention their long and futile fight against the digital future which, again, set the stage for the rest of the industry. Personally, they've done nothing to me. I simply happen to be someone who knows radio inside and out, sees how Clear Channel / iHeart -- whatever the hell they want to call themselves -- operates, and understands that the two are entirely incompatible.

That's a load of crap, David. I'd love, at this point, to know just what financial interest you have in defending them, because it's obvious that you have at least something there to stand up for. No unaffiliated person in radio would be so adamant in arguing a point that is such a blatant untruth.

The closest I have come to Clear Channel, aside from competing with them, vigorously, in a number of markets, is having sat at an NAB breakfast meeting between Randal and Mark Mays... who were very nice people, as I recall.

And just like the TV analogy, you're comparing apples to oranges.

It's a perfect analogy of branded consumer products vs. the name of the company responsible for making the products. The consumer does not know that P&G makes all those products and confuses them with products the don't make even though the P&G name is on every box, bottle and container.

Just as listeners don't know the names of the ownership companies of broadcast stations because the information is not useful. The brain rather rapidly dismisses information deemed to be of no present or future benefit.

I said that they know of Clear Channel stations in their market or, at the very least, they've heard of Clear Channel and the negative things associated with the company.

You are making the false assumption that Clear Channel did anything negative that is noteworthy to the average listener. I've followed the company as a significant competitor and don't find them despicable or much different from a lot of others... they are just a bit bigger.

Similarly, most people may not be able to name a certain number of P&G products, but anyone at my end of my generation or older likely remembers the controversy over their former logo.

But the controversy did not affect sales, and most people, at the time, did not really attach a relationship between P&G's logo and the decision to buy Pampers.

And again, it doesn't take a vast or total majority, it takes a vocal minority.

A vocal minority can only change perceptions if what they protest relates to other people's lives and if the issue has some impact on those people.

Haha! Oh yes they do, David! They may not know what it is by name, but they can tell you when a DJ sounds canned. "It's like he isn't really there." "Is that from a network?" "Why doesn't she talk about anything local?" All things I've heard (among many others) in my two decades in this business. Listeners know the difference. They just don't know the technical details.

It's funny that you mention all those things because they are rarely heard, if at all, from "normal" listeners who don't populate forums such as this. Well done voice tracking can sound, in some cases, smoother and better than a fatigued person in the studio doing a live shift. I've run "voice tracked" stations since the mid-70's; in the early days of automation listeners were fascinated to see it run when they came to pick up prizes.

"Localism" is really a mis-used term. "Local" means "my world" to listeners. Local traffic on the Freeways is irrelevant if the person does not commute or does not get on I-95 or the Palmetto. Many people's local community is their group on Facebook or Instagram, not whatever is going on in Sweetwater or Goulds.

Folks are used to prerecorded "live shows" back from when Steve Allen did the Tonight show. In fact, one of the most successful shows on radio is Ryan Seacrest's program which is seldom live, even in LA.

You are making a case against voice tracking that simply does not hold up against reality, ratings and listener reaction.

I've told you before and I'll tell you again, David: radio is not a business, radio is radio. It's mass media.

It is first and foremost a business, because without income, it does not exist. Speaking as someone who put his first station on the air at age 18, I can tell you that the closer and closer I came to running out of money, the more I realized how much of a business it was. I may have had the best jocks, the best jingles, the best music, the best promotions and the finest equipment and sound, but none of that was sustainable without income... from the business side.

If an 18-year-old kid (whose most important lessons in radio were learned in one night on the mezzanine level at the McAllister Hotel) could figure it out, I'd think after your alleged two decades in radio it might have become clear to you, too.

People pay much more attention to the way it's produced than most anything else, because the way it's produced directly affects the quality of product they receive, and if they're no longer entertained, they stop buying.

That is a product of the content, not whether it is live or recorded. It's sometimes possible to have better recorded shows than live ones.

Radio's been engaging in bad practices for far too long, and people are tuning out faster than they ever have before.

Actually, they are splitting more time with new media options that did not exist before, and radio companies are following them with offerings like iHeart Radio, Uforia and such. For many, the curated playlists on music stations and the talk content on spoken word stations is worth accepting the commercial breaks.

The difference here is that Viacom actually had a decent public perception around the name. Clear Channel did not.

You need to do a bit of research on Sumner Redstone and his family and even on Mel & Co. All that will do, though, is show you that strictly run big companies have detractors. You have created an idea that Clear Channel was somehow egregiously worse than other large broadcasters, but there is no proof for that.

And did he make that decision before or after the mist tunnel debacle? The timing would suggest after. Yeah, I'd want to run the hell away from that gaffe, too, if I were him.

Huh? He took the normal lobby decorating budget from a remodel, cut it by about 75% and had something a little different for major clients to see and to remember. Heck, I have a mister with some variable lighting effects on my back patio and it cost less than dinner for four at Joe's Stone Crabs.

This is, however, a really good example of how you are making Godzilla out of a speck of dust and actually believing it. The mister was a non-event save with a few CC detractors.

... but the official line that it's a shedding of an old-media image is just as ridiculous.

Just look at the names of the analysts who follow iHeart today vs. before the refocusing. Of course, the name was just the culmination of several years of presentations, press releases, sales calls and other activities... now, the analysts include those who tract technology and new media stocks and not just the ones who looked at what SBS and Beasley did in the last quarter.

Most younger people weren't aware of what a technological "clear channel" was to begin with, and it didn't hurt their business for this long. That was no reason to change it.

It was all about changing investor perceptions and the eventual valuation of the enterprise. It had little or nothing to do with listener perceptions.

I never said that the whole world knows who they are or that they're any worse than other companies -- who were ravaged by their own practices, not the recession; they were going down in flames long before 2009, so you can get that idiotic notion out of your head right now.

Actually, the recession took radio revenues down by about 40%. That 40% in many cases erased the profit margin of many stations, particularly in smaller markets. Prior to the recession, the more leveraged broadcasters were profitable enough to make debt service and pay down principal.

They did nothing to me personally, they were simply at the forefront of the destruction of the industry. They were the poster child for post-'96 consolidation, racking up massive amounts of debt (that they still have and will never, ever be able to pay off) to buy up stations that they have done nothing but cut and cut and cut and cut back on, damn near gutting a good many of them and setting the trend for just about every other major owner to follow, which in turn set the trend for the rest of the business, because financially, nobody could keep up.

When the radio industry lost 40% of its revenue between 2008 and 2009, every station that had less than a 40% operating margin started cutting back. Only because CC was the largest did it get the most attention, but to say they invented layoffs is disingenuous. Everyone from New York, New York to New Albany, MS, had to cut back.

The consolidation of radio was a direct result of the overpopulation of the AM and FM bands, made all the worse by the horrible Docket 80-90 actions which allowed instant changes of class for FMs, added hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of new stations in markets that could barely support the ones they already had.

From the late 50's onwards, about half of all stations in the US were unprofitable. Docket 80-90 brought even further hardships, and the ownership caps scared away any major capital because the original 7/7 radio cap was a small business and dismissed by most investors and lenders.

Duopolies are not inherently bad; I owned a cluster of 9 signals in a single market in the 60's and the ownership of major stations allowed the operation of others that could never survive as stand-alones.

Not to mention their long and futile fight against the digital future which, again, set the stage for the rest of the industry.

Sorry, I don't get what you are addressing here.

Yes, David, you've successfully demonstrated in yet another thread that you live in denial on these topics. That's nothing new, you've been doing it for years. If you want to go on being wrong, that's fine, but as the industry continues to crumble, ask yourself this: is it all falling apart because of outside factors, or was Josh right and there's more than a little responsibility that the companies have to take for their demise? At some point, reality asserts itself.

One thing I love about this site: I can always make a comment without being ridiculously and doggedly questioned for it.

The posting of opinion invites contrary opinion.

The posting of subjective perspectives invites contrasting views.

The posting of conjecture and the use of hyperbole invite questioning.

The posting of inaccurate data demands correction.

And, obviously, the posting of facts invites trolls.

Yes, indeed. All the verifiable facts I have posted have been trolled by your unsubstantiated points of view.

The one I am most fond of is the idea that the decorating choice for the iHeart corporate office lobby is in any way connected with the change in corporate name.

And then there is the totally fact-devoid statement that WPOW dropped in ratings (I believe you used a term like "disaster" or something similar) after it dropped dance / freestyle in 1999: in fact, in both 2000 and 2001 it was measurably above 1999.

I could go on, but you would only dig yourself in deeper.

If I can get back on topic here. I was listening yesterday and something is different on 93.5. The station sounded nice and crisp again, not flat. Also, I was driving near Atlantic Blvd on I-95 and, surprisingly, it was coming in pretty well. Maybe a power increase? It used to crap out long before cypress creek.

If I can get back on topic here. I was listening yesterday and something is different on 93.5. The station sounded nice and crisp again, not flat. Also, I was driving near Atlantic Blvd on I-95 and, surprisingly, it was coming in pretty well. Maybe a power increase? It used to crap out long before cypress creek.

Yes, back on track about translators. It does sound better, cleaner. But I don't think a power increase. I say that because, over on the Bar's FB page, they're hinting about power increases as well. But (I forget who made the point) that a power increase on WBGF 93.5 could/would interview with 93.7 in Vero Beach.

Speaking of Vero, and that neck of the Florida woods . . . seen this on Radio Insight about a new (sorry, gotta do it) IHateRadio translator in West Palm Beach area.

iHeartMedia acquires the CP for 93.3 W227CX Magnolia Park/West Palm Beach from Way Media for $100,000. W227CX will rebroadcast an HD subchannel of 92.1 WRLX West Palm Beach.

Goes back to what we said earlier about IHM/CC using translators to rebroadcast stations that have no signal or interference issues and circumnavigating the ownership caps, and relaying HD channels. It was OBTUSE who made that informative post on this thread regarding that, as it relates to changes in the Tampa market.

Last edited:
I can't believe this is still on the air that is, the iHeart Translator with the Bull, considering all of the interference issues its causing with 93.5 The Bar. Another point. The prices on these translators are insanely inflated. 100 K for a 40 watt transmitter? That's insane and a rip off.

"The Bull and The Bar." There's a sitcom in there somewhere. You know, a CBS sitcom. The kind that isn't very funny but passes for high entertainment because it caters to the lowest common denominator.

What if the commission had set translator requirements up the right way and proclaimed that, "a translator must translate a station in its entirety, at least the main channel, RBDS, and all HD products"?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom