• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boom! We're getting classic hip hop...

First 30 hrs the station seemed pretty good last 48 hrs they are playing tracks way to often this is not a station playing stuff that is 3 yrs or newer that needs to play the same track 3 or 4 times a day.

They call that a "rotation." Even classic hits stations do it. They will cycle through songs, and repeat the best testing ones several times a day in different day-parts, targeting typical listeners who only tune-in for only a few hours during certain specific dayparts. That's how to build a winning brand. If you try to play for longer TSL, drawing from a large record library, and don't repeat songs, you will lose the cume war. Clearly that's not what a station wants to do. So expect to hear a few popular songs several times a day.

I'd say this would be the modern day equivalent of the old "1590 Raps", sister station of the old "102 Jamz"............

I'd like to know more about the old 102 Jamz.
Who owned the station? What kind of music was played? Who were the jocks?
I remember visiting Houston around the summer of 1993 and seeing a cap at a family friend's house that said '102 Jamz'.
I thought it was weird because there was already a 102 Jamz (which still exists today) in Greensboro, NC (which is where I was living at the time).

They call that a "rotation." Even classic hits stations do it. They will cycle through songs, and repeat the best testing ones several times a day in different day-parts, targeting typical listeners who only tune-in for only a few hours during certain specific dayparts. That's how to build a winning brand. If you try to play for longer TSL, drawing from a large record library, and don't repeat songs, you will lose the cume war. Clearly that's not what a station wants to do. So expect to hear a few popular songs several times a day.

Repeating the same songs 2 and 3 times a day will kill this station kinda fast they do not want to do that

Repeating the same songs 2 and 3 times a day will kill this station kinda fast they do not want to do that

On the contrary, it will build cume. We see it in market after market. It will work in Houston too.

Advertisers want radio stations to cycle audience, so their spots reach more people. Repeating certain popular songs will help do that.

Last edited:
liking the station

well as a 31 yr old Hispanic that grew up in Houston I personally love the station and a lot of my friends like it too since we grew up with 97-9 and I do remember 102 jamz waaaaay back in the day! like someone posted earlier it is nice to have variety on the radio dial for those of us that prefer hip hop. My wishful thinking was that the G-man and chile would help them launch a tejano station since they tried regional Mexican before but I know classic hip hop works better for radio one and I am pleased to hear classic hip hop as well. I know tejano doesn't make a lot of $$$ but a lot of people I know still find ways to hear tejano music through internet and I continually hear it at weddings and bbqs. Hopefully one day we will have a station that represents the Hispanic culture that were actually born and raised here like we did in the 90s.

I get tired with the same song if I hear it more than once every couple days. LOL but maybe that's just me.

I get tired with the same song if I hear it more than once every couple days. LOL but maybe that's just me.

I cannot listen to "In the Arms of the Angels"...one station I worked at played it EVERY two hours on the dot....could set your watch by it ;) Even my then girlfriend got sick of it too....

Enjoy it while it's still on....

The format is going into its 6th year in LA on a very, very limited signal. It's 15th in the core 25-34 demo.

On the contrary, it will build cume. We see it in market after market. It will work in Houston too.

Advertisers want radio stations to cycle audience, so their spots reach more people. Repeating certain popular songs will help do that.

Didn't The Point prove this in Houston? :) It had a limited playlist and lasted for a decade.

Didn't The Point prove this in Houston? :) It had a limited playlist and lasted for a decade.

Game, set, match.

Winner, schmave!

The general concensus seemingly is that this won't last, but I'll play the devil's advocate here. Boom! will likely bury what momentum 93-7 had built, and inside of 12 months we'll be talking about the imminent flip of that station again.

The general concensus seemingly is that this won't last, but I'll play the devil's advocate here. Boom! will likely bury what momentum 93-7 had built, and inside of 12 months we'll be talking about the imminent flip of that station again.

I'm not sure if I would go that far, but it's getting good buzz from a bunch of my friends in their 30's and 40's who aren't African-American but listened to all of these songs in high school and college.

The more I really contemplate it, John, the more feasible it honestly becomes. Specifically for the reason that you've just stated. I was in my 20s when the Ice Cubes and Snoop Doggs were dropping albums, as were those around me then. I've asked several of them over the past week if they'd given KROI a listen since I had mentioned the flip to them. Each of them affirmed they had and were quite pleased I had alerted them to it.

Those same people were giving 93-7 a chance against 97-9 because The Beat dove back in to the classics more often than The Box has been for awhile. I don't listen to much of the genre myself, but apparently The Box only gives lip service to the old school hits during mix shows. 93-7 has 20th century released hip hop in the regular rotation. Hopefully someone here who is a regular listener of the two can verify this.

Now Radio One is bombarding iHeart's Beat from two angles (you know, like you guys at Cox did to KILT, lol), all classics on one, all currents on the other.
That spells bad news for KQBT regardless of how bad the 21 kilowatt signal of KROI covers all of Houston. 92-1 is strong in the heavily Black and Hispanic southern areas of Houston, which puts the signal equal to that of 93-7 and 97-9 down there.

Add to that, those 30-40 somethings that were listening to 93-7 to hear more classic rap songs, now don't have to sit through the current hip hop product to hear them with 92-1. I think some around here are going to be quite shocked at how KROI skyrockets in the near future. We'll see, maybe I am overestimating the impending impact of Boom!

Will 93-7 be on the search for a new format in the next year? Probably not, but I suspect station management is going to have the word "boom" on their mind from here on out.

I like this format, its now a very good time for this as people 25 to 45 want something different from all the currents of almost every format, urban ac is sleepy so this can be fun and upbeat and I think done right it can not be corny and get crossover listeners at the same time.

2 times a day for songs is not at all repetitive, you come out of the gate strong while picking off samplers, I'd be doing 4/5 a day for some of those biggie, jay etc very mass appeal hits.

I'd start with 150-200 songs, then maybe add 25/40 more a week until it is up around 550 600, but obviously not all songs are equal. You could then rest some of those real strong classics you used to define the station and up the spins of songs at the next level.

It could start real strong, but maintaining the momentum is the real task here. It is niched by its sisters so it can't step out and expand a bit, which may become necessary after some time.

If it is a limited signal then this is a good choice here, although it's odd no classic hits in Houston, 107+- is classic rock. That's not for radio one, they even trashed y100 in Philly, which some have said was their top billing station in that cluster when they killed it.

I wish this station could get a much bigger playlist really soon I have already heard 10 tracks playing 5 to 7 times already. The biggest complaint on there Facebook page is they play songs to often and they need to add a lot more tracks to the playlist. Another thing I would like to see but most likely will never happen is 10k to 15k watt power increase this would fix the signal problems to the North and West sides of town and increase the signal for crappy radios.

although it's odd no classic hits in Houston, 107+- is classic rock.

I agree - since the music died on 93.7, the Eagle has changed its format from - ??? trainwreck - to classic rock. Houston now has a classic rock station. All we need now is oldies / classic hits. I do not agree with a previous poster that 92.1 is the future of oldies / classic hits. No. Not even close.

Another thing I would like to see but most likely will never happen is 10k to 15k watt power increase this would fix the signal problems to the North and West sides of town and increase the signal for crappy radios.

Can't happen. That signal is boxed in from all directions.

It was really booming into IAH the other morning, but it could have had a tropo assist.

I do not agree with a previous poster that 92.1 is the future of oldies / classic hits. No. Not even close.

Agreed. No chance for any incarnation of oldies/classic hits to be successful on 92. The question then becomes, where would it go that will be more beneficial and more profitable to the station than what is currently being programmed?

93-7? I don't see it as iHeart had the chance recently and went Urban instead.

95-7? Only if CBS were to make a stab at acquiring KRBE from Cumulus, and If so, that might just kill two birds with one stone, as 96-5 would likely skew away from direct competition and subsequent overlap of the newly acquired KRBE.

I couldn't see Cox splitting the Eagle combo for it, and you'd still have the same "not everyone can hear it" argument you have with every other rimshot serving Houston, KROI included.

We've got two Houston licensed AM facilities up for sale right now, 10 kilowatt 1320 KXYZ & 5kW 1590 KMIC. Those are now two wide open opportunities for someone to swoop in, acquire, and launch a classic hits/oldies station. Both signals cover the internal city limits quite well. Either one would make a fine home for those malt shoppe classics to fill the air again in Houston...

...but they won't, and we all know why.

Edit to correct: apologies, KXYZ is 10kW day/5 at night now, not 10 full time.

Last edited:
Since there is a really low chance 92.1 will ever be able to get a 10k to 20k watt power increase or a translator in the Woodlands. Here is a something they might be able to do that will help people on the far west and and north sides of town be able to listen to the station rent a tv sub channel and the run there station on it like 91.7 does on 8.5

Since there is a really low chance 92.1 will ever be able to get a 10k to 20k watt power increase or a translator in the Woodlands. Here is a something they might be able to do that will help people on the far west and and north sides of town be able to listen to the station rent a tv sub channel and the run there station on it like 91.7 does on 8.5

Brian, it's not a low chance, it's a NO chance. However, you are right about a translator. If they could do that, it would be very helpful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom