• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Return of the "Franken" FM

Carmine5

Star Participant
The FCC has just released a 3rd NPRM on LPTV. However, of interest here is this proposal:

E. Operation of Analog Radio Services by Digital LPTV Stations as Ancillary or Supplementary Services

47. We seek comment on whether to allow LPTV stations on digital television channel 6 (82- 88 MHz) to operate analog FM radio-type services on an ancillary or supplementary basis pursuant to section 73.624(c) of the rules.109 Currently, some analog LPTV stations licensed on channel 6 are operating with very limited visual programming and an audio signal that is programmed like a radio station. FM radio listeners are able to receive the audio portion of these LPTV stations at 87.76 MHz, which is adjacent to noncommercial educational (NCE) FM channel 201 (88.1 MHz). When these LPTV stations convert to digital, however, they are unable to continue providing such radio service because the digital audio portion of their signal can no longer be received by standard FM receivers.
48. LPTV stations have been proposing engineering solutions to allow their continued FM radio-type operation following their conversion to digital.110 For example, a station has proposed using a single transmitter that allows a digital visual and audio stream, as well as a separate analog audio transmission, to simultaneously operate a digital LPTV station on channel 6 and an analog FM radio-type service at 87.76 MHz.111 Under this proposal, we would treat the analog FM audio transmission as an “ancillary or supplementary” service offering under section 74.790(i) of the Commission’s rules, which provides that “a digital LPTV station may offer services of any nature, consistent with the public interest, convenience, and necessity, on an ancillary or supplementary basis in accordance with the provisions of § 73.624(c) . . . .”112

You can read more about it here:

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db1010/FCC-14-151A1.pdf

Look up Channel 200 on FM Query. Channel 200 is 87.9, and there is exactly one station in the country--KSFH in Mountain View, California, with 10 watts.

Rather than fossilize the analog channel 6 operations just to preserve the Franken FM's, makes more sense to create a "channel 199" on 87.7 and open up 87.9 to more applications in areas where channel 6 is not in use.

I'm thinking the NCE FM stations will have plenty to say about this, beginning with the word "NO."

Let them apply for a LPFM License. They should have been under an FM license all along.
The TV Bands are for Digital TV, not for analog radio.

Look up Channel 200 on FM Query. Channel 200 is 87.9, and there is exactly one station in the country--KSFH in Mountain View, California, with 10 watts.

Rather than fossilize the analog channel 6 operations just to preserve the Franken FM's, makes more sense to create a "channel 199" on 87.7 and open up 87.9 to more applications in areas where channel 6 is not in use.

No, any signal within the passband of the digital stream will kill the DTV reception....Full Power 6s that moved complained they were not allowed to keep their analog audio on....why should the LPTVs be treated differently?? The Frankens want to compete with the FM band but they break the rules currently by transmitting an audio on 87.7 not 87.75 (which is a standard channel frequency as defined in the rules)...Another signal for the FM band should undergo the same treatment as all others. I doubt any analog signal within the 6 passband will allow a DTV decoder to operate properly...

Let them apply for a LPFM License. They should have been under an FM license all along.
The TV Bands are for Digital TV, not for analog radio.

Applying for a LPFM license is not the answer....LPFMs cannot sell advertising....they should have never been allowed to pop up in the 1st place......everyone claims they are legal but I disagree....the standard TV analog channels are defined in Part 73 not 73....thus requiring the audio to be at 87.75 +/- 10kHz...not 87.7 with 75kHz deviation..running 75kHz deviation on 87.75 would result in distortion (outside the high level signal area of the transmitter)...This "secondary" service thing is ridiculous....I challenge the FCC to test the idea that an 87.7 FM analog signal would not interfer with a LD 6 signal in the same area...(it will!)....IF that idea was workable, I wonder how many full power DTVs would be running a FM carrier at the top end of their channel so old AM/FM/TV portable rcvrs could pick them up?? Probably MOST...but it will not work...(You canna' change the laws of physics!) what works in analog TV does not work in DTV.....but the FCC evidently has not learned that yet....DUH

I on board with opening up 87.9 and 87.7 to FM licenses, maybe with priority to to the existing channel 6 TV guys? But having it as an "aux" service in addition to the DTV broadcast seems dodgy at best from the rules as I understand them.

I on board with opening up 87.9 and 87.7 to FM licenses, maybe with priority to to the existing channel 6 TV guys? But having it as an "aux" service in addition to the DTV broadcast seems dodgy at best from the rules as I understand them.

So what about the LPFM and other folks who have been legally waiting for a chance at a FM license?? Just ignore them?? The Frankens are an insult to them...and noone has tested it that I know of but I am willing to bet a FM carrier with normal 200k/w bandwidth (What about HD?? Gonna leave them out?) will kill a DTV signal on RF6..so they will shoot themselves in their own foot....you cannot have it both ways..

Very true, it would have to be some kind of band expansion in to CH6 and bump the current TVCH6 folks up the dial with the rest of the PSIP crowd. But as far as LPFM the FCC has made it pretty clear that if a full power FM can fit in an area they get president over LPFM. and if they cleared out 82-88 for FM I would see the ability fit a few full power FM's in many areas as well as LPFM.

... and if they cleared out 82-88 for FM I would see the ability fit a few full power FM's in many areas as well as LPFM.
That's a pretty big "if" given the Commission's reaction to every proposal for that which has been made thus far.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom