• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

'Maury,' 'Jerry Springer,' 'Steve Wilkos' Renewed Through September 2018

I thought Tribune was planning to not renew their contracts with those shows after 2016. I wonder what their reason was for renewing. For Chicago's WGN-TV, they only carry Maury, while Steve Wilkos & Jerry Springer are carried by Weigel owned WCIU 26.1, & time-shifted on WMEU-CD 48.1/WCIU 26.2. For Maury, I don't know how much longer he'll be able to continue hosting his show. Even if his health is still good for a 75 year old, advertisers might eventually force NBCU to push Maury into retirement, as they tend to not always support shows with older hosts that might draw a mostly 55+ age group (I heard that was the reason Regis Philbin was forced out of the Live show that he hosted for ABC/Disney Distribution for many years).

Yeah I know it's "who's the baby's daddy" on Maury and strippers fighting on Springer, but guess what affiliates would replace these shows with if they were cancelled? Yeah, you guessed it, more trash TV in the form of INFOMERCIALS!! Hard to find any terrestrial station that has a weekday movie like they used to 20-30 years ago. Or reruns of Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy...

-crainbebo

Yeah I know it's "who's the baby's daddy" on Maury and strippers fighting on Springer, but guess what affiliates would replace these shows with if they were cancelled? Yeah, you guessed it, more trash TV in the form of INFOMERCIALS!! Hard to find any terrestrial station that has a weekday movie like they used to 20-30 years ago. Or reruns of Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy...

-crainbebo

Fortunately, there is cable, so any lack of programming on OTA TV is negated by all the selections on cable. Plus, even on OTA TV all the new digital subchannels means there's still lots of alternatives to pick from.

I actually meant the .1 subchannels of Fox, MNTV and CW stations. Many of those stations used to have weekday (and 7:00/8:00) movies. Wow have times changed.

-crainbebo

Unfortunately, with so many movie channels out there, I think most movies aren't available at all to OTA stations. Those that are available are either very bad or very expensive.

But... stations that have This TV affiliations could certainly pull the afternoon movie from This, and put some other show on the This subchannel for that two-hour block. I wonder how the ratings would fare.

(I, for one, think a network like Antenna TV or MeTV might do well as a stations "main" network. Or maybe build a hybrid of shows from Antenna and ThisTV plus local shows.

But... stations that have This TV affiliations could certainly pull the afternoon movie from This, and put some other show on the This subchannel for that two-hour block.

KPRC recently preempted NBC primetime on a Saturday night for a This TV movie.

Why are they re-airing Thelma and Louise from This TV? It even has the THIS logo on the bottom right.

I thought Tribune was planning to not renew their contracts with those shows after 2016. I wonder what their reason was for renewing.

NBC probably agreed to give them more advertising time to keep the shows on the air. They're still working on the tax credits that moved those shows nonsensically to Stamford, CT so without anything else in the pipeline (and all of the tie-in shows that have bombed like Trisha Goddard's American show), they need to keep the studios lit up without having to resort to Better-level glurge.

Unfortunately, with so many movie channels out there, I think most movies aren't available at all to OTA stations. Those that are available are either very bad or very expensive.

But... stations that have This TV affiliations could certainly pull the afternoon movie from This, and put some other show on the This subchannel for that two-hour block. I wonder how the ratings would fare.

(I, for one, think a network like Antenna TV or MeTV might do well as a stations "main" network. Or maybe build a hybrid of shows from Antenna and ThisTV plus local shows.

I don't like the idea of having a hybrid of a few programs from a programming service like ThisTV or Antenna TV (both of which would usually provide programming every hour) and local programs on the same channel, whether it be a station's main channel or sub-channel (WFGX-TV in the Mobile, Alabama-Pensacola, Florida TV market is a good example of the former). Any station affiliated with either one of those services would be better off broadcasting all of their programs through either their main channels or sub-channels.

NBC probably agreed to give them more advertising time to keep the shows on the air. They're still working on the tax credits that moved those shows nonsensically to Stamford, CT so without anything else in the pipeline (and all of the tie-in shows that have bombed like Trisha Goddard's American show), they need to keep the studios lit up without having to resort to Better-level glurge.

I don't know where Maury was originally recorded in New York, but Jerry & Steve were at NBC Tower in Chicago, in one of WMAQ-TV's studios. Jenny Jones was also recorded in Chicago from the same place. Steve Harvey now has his show at NBC Tower by the same syndicator, but I believe NBC affiliated with Steve Harvey's show in O&O markets.

Sad commentary on society that there continues to be a market for this dreck, but it keeps the hosts and production staffs working, so I guess it's not all bad.

regis bought a condo/co-op? on the same street as the abc studios so he could get up at a normal hour and walk to work.

I heard that was the reason Regis Philbin was forced out of the Live show that he hosted for ABC/Disney Distribution for many years).

In the Quad Cities, KGCW dropped all three aforementioned shows back in 2013. Maybe WQAD 8.3 can pick 'em up...

I don't know where Maury was originally recorded in New York, but Jerry & Steve were at NBC Tower in Chicago, in one of WMAQ-TV's studios. Jenny Jones was also recorded in Chicago from the same place. Steve Harvey now has his show at NBC Tower by the same syndicator, but I believe NBC affiliated with Steve Harvey's show in O&O markets.

Maury was based out of the Hotel Pennsylvania ballroom in Midtown which was converted to a TV studio; Bill Cunningham is also based out of there, I think, though the show's site says it now tapes in East Harlem.

Although Steve Harvey is good, because he has his own talk show and his own syndicated morning show on some Old School/R&B/Hip Hop/Rap stations across the nation.

I don't have a problem with talk shows like Steve Harvey, Kelly and Michael, and even Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz, even though I don't watch them. When I was off due to surgery in Sept. and Oct. about the only thing I watched on local daytime TV was Jeopardy. Otherwise I was watching mostly cable, Netflix, or Roku. But I would love to see the trash talk like Springer, Maury, etc. and all courtroom shows go away completely.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom