• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kevin Metheny Passes Away

KGO/KSFO San Francisco Operations Manager Kevin Methany died suddenly Friday

It's been reported that Methany died of a heart attack and Rich Lieberman in San Francisco is reporting that Methany was found unresponsive at his desk at the radio station Friday.

Read More Here

AND HERE

Howard Stern always referred to Metheny as "Pig Virus," when Howard did afternoon drive at WNBC and Metheny was program director. Imus called him "Kevin Metheny, the programming weenie." In the book, "Private Parts," Howard also wrote about Metheny. When "Private Parts" was adapted into a movie, the character of "Kenny" was introduced and Howard in the movie called him "Pig Vomit." Apparently, this was done on the advice of lawyers to keep Kevin from suing. But "Pig Vomit" was a fictional character. In the film, "Kenny," played by Paul Gimatti, leaves radio for another line of work. Metheny did not.

Notice the headline in the article to which OP provided a link, correctly calls Metheny "Pig Virus" (not "Vomit").
The Chicago Tribune article says, "...caricatured as part of a composite character called "Pig Vomit" in the movie version..."

GRC: Yes, it is incorrect. Just as Charles Foster Kane was not William Randolph Hearst. Willie Stark was not Huey Long.

When "Private Parts" was adapted into a movie, the character of "Kenny" was introduced and Howard in the movie called him "Pig Vomit." Apparently, this was done on the advice of lawyers to keep Kevin from suing. But "Pig Vomit" was a fictional character.

Exactly. As you mention, it is a composite character that includes elements of his WNEW PD as well as his WWDC-FM PD, Don Davis.

I thought Stern's PD at DC101 was Denise Oliver. When did he work at WNEW? He worked at K-Rock where the PD was Steve Kingston. But I don't recall him on WNEW.

Has Stern mentioned this on his show?

He didn't have an easy job. Don't know the guy and really have no opinion on his career, but he seemed to have worked hard and left behind two kids.

One must wonder, how much of Howard's rants about "Pig Virus" were Howard's schtick and how much were venting of real feelings? IMHO: Howard did most of his best work at W-NNNNN-BC and was at the top of his form there. If Kevin as antagonist and designated bad guy contributed to that, then Kevin deserves some of the credit for creating the Howard Stern persona as we know it.

I seem to remember something about "Pig Vomit" being a composite character of Kevin and one other person, hence the name change. Wasn't there another PD mentioned in the book version? It's been 20 years since I read it, so I don't even remember.

Pig VOMIT was a composite of several people including other PDs..the real Pig Virus, Kevin, was NOT what Pig Vomit/Giamatti protrayed in Private Parts...I have a friend who personally worked with Kevin...he said Kevin was sometimes a PITA but was also an inspiration for others (go figure)...Stern's movie of course exaggerated it for the book/movie (of course)

I believe this point has already been made - several times. Doesn't anybody read what's already been posted?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom