• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Savannah Radio Ratings

Notice that Alpha Media (L&L Broadcasting) Hot AC WXYY, Y100, doesn't show in the spring book either. The PD has since left, replaced by another PD who, coincidentally worked for the Wilson/Proffitt Citadel. The former PD also worked for Citadel back in the day. Since the new guy is in place, they flipped the format to Top 40, continuing to use the Y100 moniker. And they dumped the syndicated Burt show. Opting to actually be live and local.

I have always attributed this to small sampling sizes in triple-digit markets and the general mentality of some of those who report ratings:

Say Jimbo living in beautiful Pooler, GA has a ratings diary, and he's a rock guy. Most of the time, he'll listen to 95.5, 106.1, or 105.3.

So, for a solid week before the ratings diaries are due, Jimbo has been listening to I-95 because they have an amazing trip to Cancun they are giving away during JB&B (along with dozens of other Cloud Company stations giving away the same trip...but I digress). Jimbo's brain has been fried from 30+ years of using Natty Ice, Marlboro Reds, and outdoor-grown cannabis daily. So, right before the diary is due, Jimbo puts that he has been listening a ton in the past three months to 95.5 to quickly fill it out so he may get back to getting hammered. Even though most of that listening may have actually been to 106.1 or 105.3, I-95 will get all the credit from Jimbo's diary because that was the last station he remembers listening to.

Definitely a non-scientific explanation, but I have yet to see very many explanations for weird ratings that can get past the whole "statistical anomaly/this-was-just-a-bad-ratings-book" excuse. This is also why PPM is getting pushed like crazy...it makes the ratings less likely to be skewed by lazy/dumb diary-recorders.

Radio-X

I made a number of trips to Arbitron "back in the day" to review diaries. After the first trip, I never looked at a ratings book the same way. One of the more memorable diaries was by a guy who in the comments section went on and on about how great Paul Harvey is and how he never missed a show. Naturally, he recorded no actual listening to the station that carried Paul Harvey at any time during that entire week.

Notice that Alpha Media (L&L Broadcasting) Hot AC WXYY, Y100, doesn't show in the spring book either. The PD has since left, replaced by another PD who, coincidentally worked for the Wilson/Proffitt Citadel. The former PD also worked for Citadel back in the day. Since the new guy is in place, they flipped the format to Top 40, continuing to use the Y100 moniker. And they dumped the syndicated Burt show. Opting to actually be live and local.

Heard a new morning show is coming. Y100 sounds good, compared to the syndicated kiss competitor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom