• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio in the far north

Dan Sys

Leading Participant
Seeing that not too much happens radiowise in Canada's territories I thought a format rundown from the 3 major population centers up there might be of interest.

WHITEHORSE
610 - CKRW - AC
810 - CBPY - Environment Canada Weather
91.1 - CJUC - Community/Variety
93.5 - CHLA - Yukon Government radio
94.5 - CFWH - CBC Radio One
96.1 - CKRW - AC (simulcasts CKRW 610)
98.1 - CHON - Aboriginal/Variety
100.7 - CIAY - Christian
102.1 - CFWY - CBC Premiere Chaine
104.8 - CBU-8 - CBC Radio Two

YELLOWKNIFE
95.3 -CBNY - CBC Radio Two
97.3 - VF2136 - CBC Premiere Chaine
98.9 - CFYK - CBC Radio One
100.1 - CJCD - Variety Hits
101.9 - CKLB - Aboriginal/Country
103.5 - CIVR - Community/Variety (French)

IQALUIT
1230 - CFFB - CBC Radio One
88.3 - CBM-3 - CBC Radio Two
91.1 - CFFB-3 - CBC Radio One (simulcasts CFFB 1230)
93.3 - CIQA - Environment Canada Weather
97.7 - VF2433 - Aboriginal/Variety
99.9 - CKIQ - Hot AC
103.5 - CKGC - Classic Hits
107.3 - CFRT - Community/Variety (French)

The radio 2 affiliate in Iqaluit is actually a rebroadcaster of Radio 2 in Montreal, technically. I wonder what kind of stuff is on 93.5 CHLA, Whitehorse. It might be an interesting station to listen to.

As I recall CHLA broadcasts live proceedings from the Yukon Legislature, when in session. They also run weather programming from Environment Canada and simulcast some CBC Radio Two. CHLA was apparently off the air for a few years, but they are back on according to several stories I have read via Google.

I wouldn't mind seeing a format like that every where. I know it wouldn't gain a whole lot of listeners, but I feel it's a valuable service. There are some stations in Europe that broadcast parliamentary procedures when in session. Here in Ottawa, having a rotating schedule of the HOC, Ontario Parliament and City Hall would be a useful public service.

I now remember hearing about CHLA as a kid, and thinking it was a good idea, even if it was not my cup of tea.

What is radio reception like that far north?
Of course, FM outside of the local markets is nothing, but how is AM reception?
Can one pull in the U.S. 50k clears there?
Am curious because the area is far from major cities.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom