• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Whas

I heard that... The talent did a good job of saying it this morning and not saying 84WHAS that they have said for years.. It's hard to remember new slogans at first. I wonder if they have signs plastered around the studio??

Have you also heard the 2 second Wyler.com spots? All it is is Jeff Wyler saying "Wyler.com". It usually runs in the second postion of the stop set. At first I didn't know what the heck he said, then after a couple of stop sets I finally picked it up. Seems kind of subliminal to me.....

Some of the people that have been on there for 20+ years... it's going to take awhile not to say 84 WHAS. It will be that name for me too.

Interestingly though they're still 84 WHAS on their website. In fact, for the slight on-air rebranding they've done, it looks like haven't even bothered to register the domain names 840whas.com or newsradio840.com... how can they let THAT not happen?

Interestingly though they're still 84 WHAS on their website. In fact, for the slight on-air rebranding they've done, it looks like haven't even bothered to register the domain names 840whas.com or newsradio840.com... how can they let THAT not happen?

"Web site? Who needs a web site? This is radio! This is where it's really going on!"
-- whoever decided not to register the domain name

It's now registered... by Clear Channel or iHeartMedia or whatever they are (Why not go with the branding "iHeart840News"? Seems good to me.). It looks like they got it this morning, it just took a while to catch up online. But that aside, waiting until the last minute seems like a bad idea... they should have planned this weeks or months ago (like how they registered the My 100.5 websites back in March).

I'm 51 and it's been "84 WHAS" for as long as I can remember. "News Radio 840 WHAS" sounds so strange to me especially when they say "Eight Forty" instead of "Eighty Four".They even changed Sports Talk 84 to Sports Talk 840. Lachlan McLean mentioned the "rebranding" tonight.At least now his personal Twitter matches the new name.
This change (that's really not a change) will take a long time to get used to.

To me it's a silly move. I wonder the real reason. It's a heritage station, but does 840 appeal to younger groups more than 84? Do people associate 84 with seniors or the past? It's silly to me with no other changes (programming, imaging, etc). Honestly surprised if a change was made it was

The jingles have been gone for a while, but definitely no room to return now.

I think it's all about having everybody conform to a corporate identity. There is no room for individuality left at "iHeartMedia," and they've let WHAS be their own thing for far too long. It was OK when their audience was still around, but their audience is dying or just doesn't care anymore. I remember my own parents listened to this station all the time up until about a few years ago... at which point they realized it was just a bunch of obnoxious talking heads selling political thoughts and ideas to people who strongly agree with them (the listeners who do not have strong views one way or the other have ceased listening). They still listen to Terry Meiners every now and then, but that's about it. Political talk radio isn't dead and AM radio isn't dead... but it is only a matter of time before they both are. iHeartMedia has to make money now, that's how the corporate game works. Nobody in radio cares about the future, it's about how much money can be made today. If it's cheaper to cheapen the station now, then so be it. After all, the people in charge today will be long gone and retired before the consequences of what they do today will be clear. Stripping away the imaging to something more generic makes it easier for somebody to sit in one control room and run a couple of stations, or markets (when that time comes... and we're already halfway there) at once.

It could be worse, though. At least iHeartMedia does a (slightly) better job than some other companies due (I'm looking directly at Cumulus).

WLW has run the "wyler.com" 2 second ad for quite some time. I don't know if the Jeff Wyler dealerships are new to Louisville
I heard that... The talent did a good job of saying it this morning and not saying 84WHAS that they have said for years.. It's hard to remember new slogans at first. I wonder if they have signs plastered around the studio??

Have you also heard the 2 second Wyler.com spots? All it is is Jeff Wyler saying "Wyler.com". It usually runs in the second postion of the stop set. At first I didn't know what the heck he said, then after a couple of stop sets I finally picked it up. Seems kind of subliminal to me.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom