• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tampa: CBS/Beasley swap in the works?

From Tom Taylor Now:

CBS Swap-Meet?

The Rumor Mill on this one has enough strength to suit up for the NFL Eagles – that CBS will gain the Beasley stations in Philadelphia, while Beasley adds the CBS properties in Charlotte, Tampa and perhaps elsewhere.

This will be interesting to see...

Beasley dosen't do TV and CBS is at cap in Philly!

REALLY?! How could CBS break up their radio stations with Beasley? You know that Beasley dosen't own any Spanish stations (i.e. 92.5 Maxima, which is the only FM Spanish Station in Tampa) and CBS owns WTOG here, which is a TV station. AND YOU KNOW, that Beasley DOSEN'T DO TV! :mad: Although getting stations in Philly would help KYW, but WAIT! Didn't I mention that CBS is at it's cap in Philly! :(

From Tom Taylor Now:

CBS Swap-Meet?

This will be interesting to see...

Agreed....Beasley would certainly have no problem giving Bubba a Tampa home (as he performs well for them at 96KRock, Ft. Myers). They'd probably rebuild WHFS around him, likely with a new format to match. (classic rock?)

The other CBS Tampa properties are doing well, so there is some upside for Beasley here.

BEASLEY DOSEN'T DO TV OR SPANISH STATIONS! How would they sell Channel 44 and 92.5 to Beasley. I mean, they don't have any TV stations, and no spanish radio stations, I mean I never heard of any Spanish stations that Beasley owns. Can you give me a list of them if they do have it? This would break up Channel 44 and all of CBS's radio stations. Also, wouldn't 94.1 be under fire, and have legal issues with iHeartMedia after the merger is done with? I mean their name is WiLD and iHeartMedia has the rights to use it and not anyone else.

WTOG CW44 is not reported as part of the (now confirmed, pending FCC approval) swap. This only applies to the CBS Radio properties. As for WYUU, I don't see Beasley flipping a decent performer like Maxima 92.5.

Beasley owns at least one Spanish language station, (WWWE, Atlanta). They also own properties with a wide range of formats, from the usual mainstream stuff to World/Ethnic and Southern Gospel, so a mainstream Spanish language music format should pose no problem. As for Wild, they probably will simply extend any agreement CBS Radio had with IHM to use the name (if there even was such an agreement).

The CBS Tampa cluster is good catch for Beasley...the only real clunkers being WHFS AM and FM. Maybe they'll succeed with the duo where CBS Radio has failed (if they indeed sign Bubba, that would be a start).

Last edited:
WHFS FM and AM are indeed clunkers.
Sometimes, big corporations such as CBS operate a few stations at a loss for tax reasons.
WHFS-AM, formerly WQYK-AM and originally WINQ is a perfect example of a station which should never have been licensed.
They throw a great signal east and west but, even at 50kW, they can only cover a small portion of the Tampa market.
And I'm the guy who built their present transmitter facility!

BEASLEY DOSEN'T DO TV OR SPANISH STATIONS!

But Beasley has WPOW PD Pio Ferro and consultant Bill Tanner, two of the most successful people in Spanish language radio.

Does that mean the two WPOW latinos can move to Tampa and broadcast on WYUU?

Seems that who ever is at WYUU has done a decent job..

Does that mean the two WPOW latinos can move to Tampa and broadcast on WYUU?

Highly doubtful! WYUU was the top biller in that cluster in August hitting number 7 on the miller! That station is not the concern in that group..

Also, Beasley has owned an Foreign Language station, that not only broadcasts Spanish broadcasts but all of languages (that is the Atlanta AM station they own). But Beasley has NEVER owned a Spanish station that ONLY DOES SPANISH MUSIC AND NO OTHER LANGUAGE (other than English):rolleyes:. They have also NEVER owned a foreign-language or a Spanish station that is ON FM! Then IDK what will Beasley will do with WYUU.

Their streamer only has Rock (Active and Classic) (98.7 will fit that spot, because they are struggling and all CBS/Westwood One Sports Radio could go to 1010), AC, Adult Hits, Beach Music, Classic Hits (Q105-WRBQ will fit that slot), Country (99.5 WQYK and it's HD2 channel will DEFINITELY fit there), Decades of Hits (only on HD2), Financial :D :D, Foreign Language, Health and Wealth :D, Inspirational Talk, New Rock (maybe 98.7), News/Talk, Religious (Q105's HD2 channel will fit here), Rhythmic CHR (Wild 94.1-WLLD will make a very good fit in this slot), Rock (98.7 maybe), Southern Gospel, Sports/Entertainment, Sports/Talk (1010 AM CBS SPORTS RADIO might fit, as long it dosen't go into News/Talk), Top 40 (if 94.1 goes Top 40 and competes with FLZ and 101.5), Urban, and Urban AC.

Where will 92.5 MAXIMA-WYUU and it's HD2 channel fit in, as there is no spot that says "Spanish". Also, where will WLLD's HD2 channel go as it's Smooth Jazz and there IS NOWHERE THAT SAYS JAZZ OR SMOOTH JAZZ so what will happen to itself?

Suppossed to close today

CBS/Beasely swap supposed to close today.

Also, Beasley has owned an Foreign Language station, that not only broadcasts Spanish broadcasts but all of languages (that is the Atlanta AM station they own). But Beasley has NEVER owned a Spanish station that ONLY DOES SPANISH MUSIC AND NO OTHER LANGUAGE (other than English):rolleyes:. They have also NEVER owned a foreign-language or a Spanish station that is ON FM! Then IDK what will Beasley will do with WYUU.

Their streamer only has Rock (Active and Classic) (98.7 will fit that spot, because they are struggling and all CBS/Westwood One Sports Radio could go to 1010), AC, Adult Hits, Beach Music, Classic Hits (Q105-WRBQ will fit that slot), Country (99.5 WQYK and it's HD2 channel will DEFINITELY fit there), Decades of Hits (only on HD2), Financial :D :D, Foreign Language, Health and Wealth :D, Inspirational Talk, New Rock (maybe 98.7), News/Talk, Religious (Q105's HD2 channel will fit here), Rhythmic CHR (Wild 94.1-WLLD will make a very good fit in this slot), Rock (98.7 maybe), Southern Gospel, Sports/Entertainment, Sports/Talk (1010 AM CBS SPORTS RADIO might fit, as long it dosen't go into News/Talk), Top 40 (if 94.1 goes Top 40 and competes with FLZ and 101.5), Urban, and Urban AC.

Where will 92.5 MAXIMA-WYUU and it's HD2 channel fit in, as there is no spot that says "Spanish". Also, where will WLLD's HD2 channel go as it's Smooth Jazz and there IS NOWHERE THAT SAYS JAZZ OR SMOOTH JAZZ so what will happen to itself?

You do understand that those categories can be added? It's a few simple keystrokes...

Beasley now has everything in the Tampa cluster streaming on their iRadioNow app (as well as online), except Smooth Jazz WLLD HD2 and WHFS HD3. (For the record WYUU is not currently broadcasting an HD signal). They could probably also put their Ft. Myers "770 ESPN Deportes" there (as well as in Sports).

Once again, no aversion to Spanish language programming over at Beasley....

Beasley now has everything in the Tampa cluster streaming on their iRadioNow app (as well as online), except Smooth Jazz WLLD HD2 and WHFS HD3. (For the record WYUU is not currently broadcasting an HD signal). They could probably also put their Ft. Myers "770 ESPN Deportes" there (as well as in Sports).

Once again, no aversion to Spanish language programming over at Beasley....

Yes, iRadioNow has them now, BUT WHAT ABOUT IHEARTRADIO AS BEASLEY DOES IHEART TOO! And I understand that they will just put a 98.7 the fan logo just as a placeholder while 98.7 plays christmas music.

Again, I told you this was going to happen, no one wanted to listen to me. Things are going to get interesting now, it's about time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom