• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Beasley / cbs

but, who would buy am800 or am860 ? And am640 is for sale too.

CBS will have to divest one station in Philly if it buys both Beasley FMs. Most likely divest one of the AMs. Question is: Which one? If they can't sell it, they might put it in a trust like they did with an AM in Los Angeles.
Now, all of a sudden, 640 doesn't look so great as an available AM station in the Philly market with the possibility that one of CBS's AM may be up for grabs. None of the CBS AMs in Philly power down at night.
And just think about the KYW jingles! "Ten-sixty" vs. "ninety-six-five." They're kinda due for a new jingle package anyway. They've updated them as frequently as five years old in the past. Hasn't the current one been around for a while?

I'm not sure CBS will have to sell anything if it just buys Beasley's FM's. I know it traded WMMR to Greater Media for KLSX (now KAMP-FM) in '96, but from a purely numeric standpoint, the numbers appear to work unless I'm missing a station. CBS would end up with 7 stations and a TV:

WIP 610
KYW 1060
WPHT 1210
WXTU 92.5
WIP-FM 94.1
WRDW-FM 96.5
WOGL 98.1
KYW-TV 3

Unless there would be revenue issues or I'm leaving a station out, I'd think those numbers should work just fine.

CBS also own TV57-- WPSG---Philly. Seems to me cbs would sell WIP--am610 if they had to.

I'm not sure CBS will have to sell anything if it just buys Beasley's FM's. I know it traded WMMR to Greater Media for KLSX (now KAMP-FM) in '96, but from a purely numeric standpoint, the numbers appear to work unless I'm missing a station. CBS would end up with 7 stations and a TV:

WIP 610
KYW 1060
WPHT 1210
WXTU 92.5
WIP-FM 94.1
WRDW-FM 96.5
WOGL 98.1
KYW-TV 3

Unless there would be revenue issues or I'm leaving a station out, I'd think those numbers should work just fine.

They also own WPSG-TV (The CW- Channel 57)

CBS will have to divest one station in Philly if it buys both Beasley FMs. Most likely divest one of the AMs. Question is: Which one? If they can't sell it, they might put it in a trust like they did with an AM in Los Angeles.
Now, all of a sudden, 640 doesn't look so great as an available AM station in the Philly market with the possibility that one of CBS's AM may be up for grabs. None of the CBS AMs in Philly power down at night.
And just think about the KYW jingles! "Ten-sixty" vs. "ninety-six-five." They're kinda due for a new jingle package anyway. They've updated them as frequently as five years old in the past. Hasn't the current one been around for a while?
1210 should be sold. CBS has ruined this station and its time for them to sell it.

Don't forget about Beasley's 2 AM's, WTMR and WWDB. Both brokered, with WTMR as the fulltimer. WWDB's 10 kW covers the market well.I always thought they could have upped to 50 kW once WEEU went to 830.

Kent's list leaves out TV-57, which would be a ninth Philadelphia signal.

Beasley doesn't seem to mind owning only AMs in a major market: in Atlanta, it owns only two AMs, no FMs; in Boston it has just one AM, no FMs. Beasley just might keep the AMs in Philly.

Yeah I think they could save philly AM. If they could switch 92.5 to KYW and put 860 on 96.5. A good FM brokered format has lots of potential. Now KYW is on FM and AM. 860 could stay on AM if it wants, but 860 could be FM only and the newly free station could become a few different things. Liberal talk? Would be nice to relieve us from 990 WNTP and WPHT 1210. WWDB could also maybe be a classic hits (WQLL format.) I'd love that. They could be a jazz format. Not WDAS- AM, but 90.1 WRTI after 6 pm stlye. How about dance/edm or indie rock?

Now onto 94.1 WIP-FM- it should stay sports. it's the best local outlet to specifaclly philly sports. 97.5 WPEN is okay for now since all markets should have an ESPN outlet. 1210 should Definitely not go to ESPN. How many 50Kw ESPN's are already there? 1210 is a hard case. The ratings state that is is in need of a refreshment. But it'll be trial and error for a few years until we find what format works best on that station. AM is really tricky. There's only so much you can do with it. We have plenty of religious outlets, sports outlets, talk outlets and news. What else is left? Music? How about a BBC World Service format? Or it can be 'All EAS tests, all the time" Anything to save us from the looming threat of another religious station, mexican station or sports station.

Beasley doesn't seem to mind owning only AMs in a major market: in Atlanta, it owns only two AMs, no FMs; in Boston it has just one AM, no FMs. Beasley just might keep the AMs in Philly.

I really doubt that's what they're thinking.

I really doubt that's what they're thinking.

Oh, I think Beasley would like to sell their AMs in Philly, too, but realistically? They will be competing to sell them with Disney/640 and one of the current CBS AMs. And no one appears to be all that interested in AMs, or else Disney would have announced some buyers by now.

If not my scenario, then what?

1210 should be sold. CBS would be dumb to keep a station, that they ruined for years. If they keep 1210, it would be a total black eye for the station and for Philly radio in general. or if they can't find a buyer for 1210, I know this sounds wild, but terminate the station, take if off the air for good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom