• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hallmark Hall of Fame

It's a shame because some of us can't pay for all those channels.

Or choose not to. Either way you don't necessarily lose out on quality programming. Netflix is cheap and easy and carries lots of network and cable offerings and there are other services like Hulu that are also way cheaper than standard cable. There are also some freebie Internet-based services that have embedded commercials. If you have a municipal library nearby they may also carry tapes or DVD's of popular shows and there is usually no charge for checking them out to watch.

I think it's a shame because OTA provided the greatest potential audience for the programming and it had been there for six decades. It's certainly far less of a shame than if the programming had been eliminated, but a shame, IMO, nonetheless.

I think it's a shame because OTA provided the greatest potential audience for the programming and it had been there for six decades. It's certainly far less of a shame than if the programming had been eliminated, but a shame, IMO, nonetheless.

I see. You just have a very, very low threshold of what constitutes a "shame".

it's about demos, not numbers, would they be keeping it on OTA TV if they thought that would sell more greeting cards?

Hallmark says ABC wanted to keep it, but we know that the demos for Hall Of Fame were older than most of the network programs. It was getting harder to schedule it because it wouldn't fit with other shows.

On the other hand, Hallmark owns their own channel, so they can keep their branding and the revenue all in one place. Their channel benefits by having more first-run programming to attract viewers. They're hoping to make their channel into more of a quality destination than a place for off-network syndication.

In the meantime, Hallmark will continue to buy advertising in shows that they feel will help them sell greeting cards.

Or choose not to. Either way you don't necessarily lose out on quality programming. Netflix is cheap and easy and carries lots of network and cable offerings and there are other services like Hulu that are also way cheaper than standard cable. There are also some freebie Internet-based services that have embedded commercials. If you have a municipal library nearby they may also carry tapes or DVD's of popular shows and there is usually no charge for checking them out to watch.
I may have to turn to that option one of these days. Right now I don't have a DVD player.

My VHS players are nearly all out of commission, and that man who used to fix them, who I bought my last TV/VCR from, closed his store.

I may have to turn to that option one of these days. Right now I don't have a DVD player.

You can buy a PC-based DVD player for about $19 brand new or a stand a lone for slightly more. They are dirt cheap. (Not to be confused with Blu-ray.)

And you can get a Blu Ray player with streaming for Netflix, Hulu, etc. for under $100, possibly even less when the Christmas sales come up. And then there are streaming boxes like Roku that start at about $50 most of which get the major streaming services. Of course you'll need to have high speed Internet service for that, which would likely still have to come from the cable system.

I don't really know if Hallmark Hall of Fame specials are carried on a streaming service though. I know I haven't seen any listed on Netflix, but I'm not really looking for them either. Hallmark has a service called Spirit Clips on Roku, but I think those are short clips and not whole movies. DVDs would probably be the more likely option for them.

Last edited:
I don't really know if Hallmark Hall of Fame specials are carried on a streaming service though. I know I haven't seen any listed on Netflix, but I'm not really looking for them either. Hallmark has a service called Spirit Clips on Roku, but I think those are short clips and not whole movies. DVDs would probably be the more likely option for them.

I found out that Hallmark has a new service called Feeln that is available and is a more family friendly service like Netflix, and has a line of Hallmark Hall of Fame movies: https://www.feeln.com/

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Feeln had replaced Spirit Clips. I had seen Spirit Clips on Roku and checked it once but didn't keep it.

Last edited:
I wish I had gone ahead and bought a portable TV with a DVD player built in. At the time, I wanted to make sure all my TVs could record, not just play.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom