• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio Ratings: September 2014

Not that these topline numbers mean much but what the hey....

The website to which OP provided a link does not give cume numbers and that's where the interesting tidbit here may lie.

WDAS-FM is number one in share; B101 is number two. Funny thing. About half as many people (cume) listened to WDAS-FM as listened to The B last month. That would suggest that TSL (time spent listenting) for WDAS-FM is a lot longer than it is for B101, the station people supposedly leave on all day for background in the office or wherever. Sort of strange.

Another station with greater share numbers than stations with large cume: County WXTU.

KYW manages to hang on to its spot at the bottom of the top 10 and its spot as the number one AM station. It's also the number one spoken word station but both WIP-FM and WHYY-FM (tied for share) continue to close in. Yes, 1210 falls and WHYY rises. But even without Julius, well over a quarter-million people were still listening to 1210. We will see how they do without the Phils.

That's the strangest thing. WIOQ has some poor ratings. Thought they were doing well.

With regard to cume and More/WDAS, sure, the background-in-the-office thing matters, but how many of those people meters are picking up visits to public locations where the station is playing? It racks up the cume pretty fast, but not TSL. Off the top of my head, I recall my dry cleaner, a local cafe and a card store and a dentist that all had More on in the past couple of weeks. People cycling in and out of those places, spending just enough time to register, will push that cume up.

Yes, 1210 falls and WHYY rises. But even without Julius, well over a quarter-million people were still listening to 1210. We will see how they do without the Phils.
Well, looks like most people are reading my thoughts about 1210 AM WPHT and decided to stop listening. Ratings fell in September, down to 2.1, lost 26000 listeners in the cume. What's it going to take for Jared Hart, Marc Rayfield and Andy Bloom and the rest of WPHT AM 1210 management to realize that talk isn't working anymore and its time for them to change formats to a format that would be more successful and will get them out of the ratings basement, where they have been for years? I've been saying moving KYW to 1210 or go to a sports format. They are the 2 successful formats on AM radio, talk isn't . I hope that soon, 1210 AM would make the right decision. As a former loyal listener to 1210 AM, it pains me to see a station crashing as it is now in all aspects.
WHYY is a really good radio station, they deserve the ratings that they get. They are a true second option for radio news in this town, not WPHT.

Last edited:
KYW losing 65000 listeners, stunning. CBS radio brass in NYC need to make changes with KYW. They are much needed. The station has been sounding flat and amateurish for a while now.

Let me get this straight. You want CBS to play musical frequencies with two stations you say aren't working any way? All your ideas are only going to make things worse.

CBS is stuck. They've got two FM stations doing well. There are no additional FM stations for sale and aren't likely to be. CBS blew it when they didn't grab 106.9. Now they are stuck with what they've got. CBS should cut costs and run both stations into the ground like an old car. It's not worth fixing or changing anything now.

Make 1210 a computer in a closet with all syndicated talk and out-sourced news.
Cut KYW staff to the bone. Use sound from the network and TV. Get rid of all the writers, editors, producers and street reporters. Most people won't know the difference if they operated with one-fourth the staff.
Plan to sell both in about five years.

Let me get this straight. You want CBS to play musical frequencies with two stations you say aren't working any way? All your ideas are only going to make things worse.

CBS is stuck. They've got two FM stations doing well. There are no additional FM stations for sale and aren't likely to be. CBS blew it when they didn't grab 106.9. Now they are stuck with what they've got. CBS should cut costs and run both stations into the ground like an old car. It's not worth fixing or changing anything now.

Make 1210 a computer in a closet with all syndicated talk and out-sourced news.
Cut KYW staff to the bone. Use sound from the network and TV. Get rid of all the writers, editors, producers and street reporters. Most people won't know the difference if they operated with one-fourth the staff.
Plan to sell both in about five years.
i want 1210 to be successful again. that's the whole point in all of this. They are not successful in talk. period. Whatever CBS has to do to make 1210 successful again , I'm all for it

i want 1210 to be successful again. that's the whole point in all of this. They are not successful in talk. period. Whatever CBS has to do to make 1210 successful again , I'm all for it

Well, it's not going to be successful again. Not ever. Neither is KYW or any AM station. You have to face reality, Julius. Broadcast AM radio is 106 years old. It had good run. It's over. Let it go.

Well, it's not going to be successful again. Not ever. Neither is KYW or any AM station. You have to face reality, Julius. Broadcast AM radio is 106 years old. It had good run. It's over. Let it go.
AM radio is dead and its time for executives to realize it.

AM radio is dead and its time for executives to realize it.

And do what, Julius? Syndicated sports talk? Look how well that's working on 610.

Executives realize what's happening better than you do. They have actual numbers. You don't. It's already been suggested but you should pay attention. Try WHYY-91FM or NJ101.5 for a change.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom