• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

September Ratings.....

electroboy73

Frequent Participant
http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb047

As far as CHR in Atlanta as of late, someone mentioned in a recent thread that it’s possible Q100 is keeping CHR/WWWQ-HD3 around because they feel like it’s keeping Power’s ratings down. But after noticing the downward trend of BOTH stations, I’m wondering if keeping Q100/20 could be hurting both Power and Q100…(albeit, slightly). IMHO, both stations sound great. Power is sounding WAY better than a year ago. So…who knows what the downward trend in CHR could mean. Maybe it’s the recent surge in 94.9 The Bull. Hell, maybe it’s because of the song “All About That Bass”…(hahaha). It IS REALLY IS OBNOXIOUS! I still wish Power would get a live/local talent in the evenings. Whether this would help or not..who knows.

Any thoughts?

Bad month for CHR. Good month for Urban.

I still don't understand why, after years of mediocre ratings, The Fish has gotten great numbers every month this year. Also, still a little puzzled about why The Bull is absolutely clobbering Kicks.

It could be from all the billboard advertising they are doing. I've seen quite a few boards around the metro and most of the ones I've seen are for Bull. It seems evident that Cumulus is not invested in competing.

BTW- I didn't see anything out of X107.1 this time. And Radio 105.7 doesn't seem to be taking a big hit from them.

LOL, Look at the ratings for the former oldie format on 98.9. No one is listening to this crap. The Dickey bros need to retire and just rake the money in and quit trying to program these horrible formats. When is somebody going to wake up in this town??? 98.9 has been a laughing stock, how many different formats since it came on? 97.9 is no better with that worn out format they have as well.

Last edited:
Looks like Oldies98.9 FINALLY took down their FBpage! Only a couple of months after they dumped the format. I am so happy to see that NASHIcon flubbed in the ratings. I wonder how long they will let this format go before they switch again?

I rarely scan through the FM dial just to see what's there. That seldom helps me find a really good station to listen to. When a station in Atlanta changes their format, how do they expect people who didn't like their old format to find their new format? Do they think everyone samples every station on the air periodically just to check them all out and hear what's on?

Bad month for CHR. Good month for Urban.

I still don't understand why, after years of mediocre ratings, The Fish has gotten great numbers every month this year. Also, still a little puzzled about why The Bull is absolutely clobbering Kicks.

I'm guessing the reason is that Fish is the only station left in the market that even comes close to soft AC. B98.5 isn't your mama's B98.5 anymore...ATL really doesn't have a soft or conventional AC anymore...but two Hot ACs.

Is Cumulus mailing it in with Kicks until they get around to NASHing it?

Kinda surprised that 98.9 NASH ICON is doing so poorly...their mix is IMO too current which results in it being redundant with Kicks and Bull. I'm guessing Cumulus just wants to say it's on the air in a top 10 market.

What about WTSH X107.1? It's not even on list?

Could this be some of the reason The Bull has seen a boost in the ratings the last couple of months? South 107 would at least show up in Atlanta's ratings. Maybe those country listeners migrated more to Bull than to Kicks. X107 doesn't seem to be posing much of a threat to Radio 105.7 either.

Kinda surprised that 98.9 NASH ICON is doing so poorly...their mix is IMO too current which results in it being redundant with Kicks and Bull. I'm guessing Cumulus just wants to say it's on the air in a top 10 market.

It could be that they are using it for clearance in a top 10 market. They may also be using it as a testing ground to get an idea of how the format would perform in The ATL. In theory, a country icon station could be a great mate for a well-performing Hit Country station like Kicks used to be. It could be a good added value buy for Kicks advertisers bringing in some extra ad dollars. Unfortunately, Kicks is no longer a well-performing Hit Country station.

X107 isn't subscribing, I don't think. I do think they are making an impact on Radio 105.7. Noticed a drop just this month. X107 has Steve Craig who was one of the creators of the original 99X and I've heard two different DJ's on X107 that use to be on 99X before it tanked.

X107 is doing good with new music but they are too repetitive. They are playing the Milkey Chance and Vance Joy songs every hour and fifteen minutes. That's not going to work on an alternative station. I know they are trying this Alt 40 direction but it won't work. Alternative fans despise repeats 24/7 but it's still early in the game.

Rock 100.5 is maintaining it's own with 2.1 shares. While I'm afraid oldies might not work - I do believe a variety hits that hits the 80s hard would in fact work. My earlier ideas that 92.9 would go in that direction are dwindling since their ratings are approving.

The CHR war in Atlanta is very interesting. Power is a full CHR station but limited playlist. I'm not a top 40 fan so a repetitive playlist is exactly what you expect I guess. Q100 is a CHR/Hot AC hybrid and B985 is a Hot AC/AC hybrid. This leaves Star in the loss. Keep an eye on Star because I wouldn't be surprised to see a move on their part. Will be interested to watch.

What a sour September book for Atlanta radio. I guess people (CBS, CC, Cox, Cumulus) will finally realize they are not giving into demand instead they are being greedy. Tsk. Tsk. Shame.

As for Cumulus, An epic fail for 98.9FM. Oldies or at LEAST Classic Hits could've have made a return on either 98.9 and/or 106.7. Okay, I understand on the part with 106.7 - it bills money. Their ratings show otherwise.

What, no!! I hate to see Power 96.1 Sonic leave. Hmmm, I guess that means Premium Choice is in store. Wait, noo? Are you telling me that they may not put another Premium Choice Top 40 DJ.. in a big 10 market? If you had to ask me, If iHeartMedia as they now call it would want to keep this station up and running they would hire a big city market DJ and fly him down to Atlanta to fill that sweet spot. You would be mental if they did not. Oh along that note, you can also take Nessa off the air cause she does not represent the Mainstream CHR status quo. If Power 96.1 wanted to go in the direction like their sister station in San Francisco, KYLD-FM then this argument would be irrelevant. But this is Atlanta folks. What I am trying to say is - WAKE UP CLEAR CHANNEL, IHEART RADIO, IHEART MEDIA, or whatever y'all are.

Cumulus, you just suck...with the exception of Q100.

Last edited:
X107-1 does subscribe to the ratings. Their average quarter hour rating for Persons 6+ was 0.0, but they did have some cume.

I call X107-1 the "tail-wagging-the-dog station." Who ever heard of an FM with the translator as the main station and the big actual station signal as secondary? On day 1, I posted here it would never work and so far, I think I was right.

You may in fact be right. I'm a huge alternative fan but a few things is holding them back:

1- Atlanta. She can barely handle one alternative formatted stations, much less two.
2- Signal. Of course, the main signal is in northwest Ga which is where I think Active Rock would be a better match.
3- They are doing better than Radio 105.7 in image and new music but the playlist is small. It's even smaller than Radio 105.7's which I thought was impossible.

I'm curious though; Is that score of 0.0 for the translator only? I'm not sure how these ratings work.

I'm curious though; Is that score of 0.0 for the translator only? I'm not sure how these ratings work.

To the best of my knowledge, the ratings include the main station AND the translator. I'm not sure if there is a way to determine which listeners come from what source but I believe the overall ratings are combined.

Several posters here and in other boards have mentioned they like 103.7 Chuck (also a Cox station) and it's playlist which includes more of a lighter, Classic Hits leaning variety. With Atlanta having a hole for this format due to 97.1 and 100.5 leaning Classic Rock and B98.5 leaning heavily on Hot AC, could Cox have a winner if they were to simulcast 103.7 Chuck (or a lighter leaning classic hits or true AC) on 107.1 and on the translator? This would give them a huge northern suburb coverage where I would imagine this format would fare well with the soccer moms. It could also get them into the metro via the translator if they can ever get the signal issues worked out where the main feeds and translator come together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom