• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Opinions on WRKO...

OK the way I figure it Howie Carr's last day at WRKO should be any time now, and I'm really surprised there has been no word from either side ... Howie has not made any remark on air or on the website he controls (HowieCarrSHOW dot com) as to his situation, Entercom has not been putting "fill in" hosts in his or any other slot ( AM drive) to road test a potential new hire's abilility to connect to Boston, which is an unusual market to say the least.

We know Howie has hired someone to try to shop him around for a possible syndication deal, We know Bary Armstrong has hired a former WRKO exec to build his brand up, what is unknown is if there is a connection between Carr and Armstrong going on behind the scenes to put Howie on some of the signals he is LMA'ing.

Love him or hate him ( and NO we are not having that discussion in this thread, keep personalities out of it!) Howie Carr is the only thing WRKO has going for it, although I would opine "The Financial Exchange" is preyty good programming, but WRKO does not produce it.

Now as a tangent to this discussion, do you think Entercom will have to relinquish "HowieCarr dot com" to him when he leaves?
I think he would have a good case to be argued before the World Intellectual Property Organization. If Entercom holds it is it considered cyber squatting? Who was the WBCN DJ that had to sue to get his name dot com transferred to him a while back?

OK it is your turn

I hope by now it is clear - to anyone who has ever listened, at least - that Barry & Kim's "The Financial Exchange" is NOT an infomercial. It is business news/talk, and actually extends beyond business, into politics, lifestyle, technology. It is a very well produced and delivered program. I was not at all pleased when TFE displaced Laura Ingraham two years ago, but I've grown to like this program very much because of its broad coverage of topics. And there are so-called "experts" featured on talkers.com who have stated that talk radio has to have a broader appeal than conservative talk to succeed. WRKO would do well NOT to lose this program.

OK the way I figure it Howie Carr's last day at WRKO should be any time now, and I'm really surprised there has been no word from either side ...

The way I figure it...

WRKO wants the change to be seamless (in the event that he self-sydicates). WRKO will wish that listeners never notice a change.

As far as Howie goes....remember he got burnt before for opening his mouth and announcing his plans.

I hope by now it is clear - to anyone who has ever listened, at least - that Barry & Kim's "The Financial Exchange" is NOT an infomercial. It is business news/talk, and actually extends beyond business, into politics, lifestyle, technology. It is a very well produced and delivered program.

Personally I think it is the best show on WRKO, and as much as I like June Knight ( who is doing very well in Tampa BTW) Kim Carrigan was a boost to the show. If they did 4 hours I'd listen to it all, the rest of WRKO's schedule is a broken record to me...

According to whois.net, domain name howiecarr.com is registered to
Entercom of Bala Cynwyd, PA, and expires... in early 2017.

>>Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-01-24T00:00:00Z

we're talking

We're talking about a station that's been around for a long time.
Barry and Kim show is the bomb!! I love them as well
What the Boss should do is put "The Daugherty Report" on Saturday Nights 10pm-1am, and "Money Talks" back on Sunday afternoons 4pm-7pm. Other than that, I like their station a lot. It's very informative. It's great. I hope they stay around for a long time.

According to whois.net, domain name howiecarr.com is registered to
Entercom of Bala Cynwyd, PA, and expires... in early 2017.

However, domains can be transferred, and that might be part of his contract with the company. Because right now, all it does is point to the station site.

No names but some of these so called financial shows and networks plant their call-in's from the backshop of their offices to surreptitiously direct listeners to the host's financial service company. Ethically challenged for real and people trust their hard earned money with these ethically challenged creeps.

No names but some of these so called financial shows and networks plant their call-in's from the backshop of their offices to surreptitiously direct listeners to the host's financial service company. Ethically challenged for real and people trust their hard earned money with these ethically challenged creeps.

That's the beauty of "dolla a holla" radio, at least to the people buying the time...

But just to be clear here, Barry Armstrong does not take calls from the public on "The Financial Exchange" , he does have guests on but I have never been under the impression that their appearances and affiliations have not been fully disclosed for what they are.

I will agree that many of the "financial" shows are self serving ways to drive business to their firms ( Brad Bleidt ring a bell?) and the same shows are just inside the envelope of S.E.C. rules (this is neither an offer to sell or a solicitation, read the prospectus.. companies are not affiliated.... etc) but as long as the radio stations are going to take the money without giving a rats backside there is not a lot that can be done, barring FCC or SEC (or MA ) intervention

Great summary of the problem.
That's the beauty of "dolla a holla" radio, at least to the people buying the time...

But just to be clear here, Barry Armstrong does not take calls from the public on "The Financial Exchange" , he does have guests on but I have never been under the impression that their appearances and affiliations have not been fully disclosed for what they are.

I will agree that many of the "financial" shows are self serving ways to drive business to their firms ( Brad Bleidt ring a bell?) and the same shows are just inside the envelope of S.E.C. rules (this is neither an offer to sell or a solicitation, read the prospectus.. companies are not affiliated.... etc) but as long as the radio stations are going to take the money without giving a rats backside there is not a lot that can be done, barring FCC or SEC (or MA ) intervention

How is that different from going to a private financial consultant who is working on commission (not disclosed) and is pushing certain funds or plans? At least on a radio show, there is the disclosure announcement.

........Great summary of the problem...........

Here's another great summary of another problem.......People (like you) posting criticisms of radio programs they don't listen too.

Regards,
TSB

my sources say Howie will be out of Guest Street in under 30 days, taking Nancy Shack with him an an undisclosed board op/producer to Barry Armstrongs studios

Howie will lease his own office space in the same building and use Barry's facilities for production/programming.

Newsmax has offered use of their Florida facilities for his use too.

It is my understanding he has sales execs lined up for northern and southern New England. He has affiliate agreements in place and is ready to go.

What is still not finalized is if WRKO will pick him up or not. The person I spoke with said Howie was told he was going to have to take direction from WRKO if he wants to stay on there.... ahhhh I don't see that happening.

ESPN Desportes on WRKO anyone?

Love him or hate him, you have to admit this is a ballsy and risky undertaking.

my sources say Howie will be out of Guest Street in under 30 days, taking Nancy Shack with him an an undisclosed board op/producer to Barry Armstrongs studios

Wow. Here's a couple of follow-up questions:

Do you think Howie needs WRKO to make this thing work?

Howie is making (supposedly) $800k now. Paying a producer and a board-op...and whoever else....means he has to bill more than a million dollars (without the help of WRKO) just to continue with the same financial reward he has now. I mean, he could always pop up on WUFC...but is that a step up or a step down?

This throws a monkey wrench into Howie's plan to move to FM....or a "real radio station", etc., etc.

Also, can WRKO survive without Howie? Many talkers around the country survive with only a local morning drive show...and syndicated offerings the rest of the day. Could WRKO survive with a local morning show (not Khuener), and, say...Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, Levin (although his voice grates on me), Bohannon, Coast to Coast? Certainly they are the big guns. (I have no doubt that WRKO could grab beck and Hannity from WUFC, if they wanted them.)

Last edited:
I don't think Howie is under the illusion that he would have gotten such a lucrative contract this time out from Entercom.

What was negotiated 12 plus years ago in what was a different radio landscape imho would not be offered in the current state of the business.

As much as he hated being bound by that contract, especially the last 2 year option Entercom exercised, that 2 year deal was at premium rates, I doubt Greater Media was going to be that generous with their 2007 offer.

I don't think there is anyone they can put on in that spot that will have his draw, especially if the listeners follow him to other stations or web based offerings, so going with a national host and hoping for the best is certainly a viable option.

Look at morning drive, if that is the best they can do, then there is no hope for PM Drive... go syndicated or go ESPN Sports in Spanish and hope it brings in enough $ to keep the tower lights on in Burlington

WRKO isn't running on Dunkin' , to play
upon the donut chain slogan
Jeff Kuhner roundly criticized DD for its
CEO's policy on bringing in millions of
illegal aliens, today's Inside Track in the
Herald said as he criticized their food and
alleged maybe half their staff were illegals etc.
Will that make RKO lose DD sponsorship?

Not to worry.DD already pulled ads from
RKO and EEI awhile back after Gerry
Callahan upset them, but DD still advertises
on sister station WAAF which Howie calls
gluesniffer radio (they do get good ratings). Kuhner
may soon be the most popular host on RKO.

Because if Howie leaves he'll be the... only host.

Howie was saying all sorts of nice things about Dunkin Donuts just after the 3 O'clock hour started... I guess he will be looking to get them on as a sponsor when he goes on his own in a couple of weeks.

I was told the exact date and forgot it.....

Jeff Kuhner can go back to the land of Tim Horton's as far as I am concerned

Will the last person out of WRKO please turn out the lights....
WRKO isn't running on Dunkin' , to play
upon the donut chain slogan
Jeff Kuhner roundly criticized DD for its
CEO's policy on bringing in millions of
illegal aliens, today's Inside Track in the
Herald said as he criticized their food and
alleged maybe half their staff were illegals etc.
Will that make RKO lose DD sponsorship?

Not to worry.DD already pulled ads from
RKO and EEI awhile back after Gerry
Callahan upset them, but DD still advertises
on sister station WAAF which Howie calls
gluesniffer radio (they do get good ratings). Kuhner
may soon be the most popular host on RKO.

Because if Howie leaves he'll be the... only host.

Unfortunately, Kuhner is right on most of the claims he made, and I am no fan of the guy so it is had for me to admit that.

The funny thing is that according to the Inside Track, Dunkin Brands is still buying time on WAAF and by extension WKAF...

The "food" at DD is crap, when I worked in the Boston Area, I was in a DD 4 times a day, finding a DD franchise employee at a subway station DD location that could speak english or make a cup of coffee without screwing it up was a rarity, If you want a good donut go anywhere but a Dunkin Donuts ( Kanes in Saugus, Donuts With A Difference in Medford, Klems Donuts in Windham or Hudson NH, Any Top Donut shop in the Merrimack Valley...) cripes even Honey Dew is a step up from DD.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom