• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Opinions on WRKO...

He left that to his wife....now his ex-wife...!
Did Brad Bleidt ever seek clientele on-air? I could be wrong, but I don't recall him on the air looking for clients.

There is supposed to be an announcement

MRBI if you can recall the exact date, please post. Possibly on a Monday? Wonder if it could be the Mon after the election (10th) or 17th or...you had said within 30 days.

DD coffee and coolatas aren't bad, donuts are ok but not as good as others. The Heaven'ly chain in Merrimack Valley is good as is Honeydew.

I remember the 17th being mentioned in the conversation as a day not to miss, I want to say the 21st is last day, but I was told he would not be in for all the shows that week.....

but don't quote me as I was too busy discussing the finer points of Boston radio at the time, I should have paid more attention as I was the one who asked when the last day of indentured servitude was.... and the question was answered quite candidly, and I asked if it was public knowledge and was told yes it was .... if I was told it was not for discussion I would not have posted what I have posted here.

One of the things I learned in the same conversation was that Nancy had a non-compete clause that was unenforceable by Entercom.

Earlier this week WCAP shook up their lineup moving Ryan Johnson to mid days, I thought it might have been to make way for Carr, but I was told by a friend at WCAP that Jack Baldwin was pretty banged up in an accident and was going to be out for a while... so they are putting Ordway on in PM drive....

@bostonradio says he thinks Entercom will
move on and perhaps replace him with a familar
name (let guessing game begin..McPhee?
Feinburg? What if Cox 25 lets Doug VB
Goudie go (doubt it but who knows)

Word is via @bostonradio that Howie wanted
hard cash and comm. time and they told him
to get lost; RKO could do fill in hosts rest of
yr then new PMD host in Jan.

Breaking

Howie Carr to Boston Herald Radio 3P-6P starting November 24.

And your source is?

And if the past is any indication, doesn't Howie usually take vacation during the week of Thanksgiving?

Last edited:
And over at Bostonradiowatch, they are speculating that Howie is out at WRKO soon, maybe days. They go on to say that the station will be doing tryouts and name a permanent PMD host in the new year? Even saying that one radio insider said they wanted to try to get Michael Graham back from Atlanta. Before Michael headed down south, I thought he would be a logical replacement for Howie on WRKO.

http://www.bostonradiowatch.com

Last edited:
Except in Worcester, Cape Cod, Western MA, Burlington VT, Upper Valley NH-VT, Portland, Bangor, York County ME, etc not to mention apps like TuneIn and iHateRadio and perhaps some new affiliates, too.

And what is the size on that audience? Maybe 4 or 5 listeners in each town. Looks Like Howard Lawrence Carr is being sent down to the minor leagues. He'll fit right in.
Except in Worcester, Cape Cod, Western MA, Burlington VT, Upper Valley NH-VT, Portland, Bangor, York County ME, etc not to mention apps like TuneIn and iHateRadio and perhaps some new affiliates, too.

BRW observed on radiointerest that RKO cut a major revenue source but also cut payroll. AM radio, talk radio, dwindles. Howie presumably will have much of his 12-15 affiliates staying on (who knows now) and has listeners online. Possibly more affiliates; given his regional focus I'm not so sure he'll get any outside N.E. His jocksniffer ex-colleague Ordway rose from being cut by EEI to do a streaming show with 2, soon to be 3 terrestrial stations. Don't know if Herald Radio will stream Howie. He has the column and book revenues.
My workplace has interference so I listen to Howie on tunein--using WNTK in New Hampshire.I get ads for NH candidates, car dealers etc. Once on a weekday day off I was listening at a restaurant and was a bit surprised to hear an RKO newscast come on...then I remembered I was listening on an AM-FM walkman, to 680 and not WNTK.

How's prog talk doing in Boston...on commercial radio? (Eagan and Braude are on the donate-and-get-a-tote bag station across Guest St. OK maybe they use different premiums these days.)

Last edited:
Nobody has been able to show me any proof or provide any convincing argument that Howie Carr is in any way relevant in 2014. Extremist talk radio at any extreme is no longer relevant in 2014. Howie could stay at WRKO and the ship would still sink. Now they'll just sink separately.

These stations exclusively preach to the choir (with raccoonradio right up front.) Nobody is actually learning anything, or forming a new opinion by listening to Howie or WRKO. AM and conservative talk have the same problem going on. Aging demos, no new listeners, and waning appeal.

I'm a white 30 year old male, a self-identified moderate who will be voting republican this election, and I think Howie Carr is a complete waste of space. He lives in a delusional little world inhabited only by other white protestant middle-aged overweight men who have absolutely zero relevance to the real world. There's nothing he could do to appeal to me aside from retire.

All good things must come to an end. Politial talk radio is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdG09fQ8Ek

Nobody has been able to show me any proof or provide any convincing argument that Howie Carr is in any way relevant in 2014.

Politial talk radio is over.

He political relevance? Is there anyone who could replace him for political acumen in Boston/Massachusetts?

His radio relevance? As long as he can find advertisers, he is relevant (Which is the case with everyone in this business.) WE shall see how this all plays out. ;-)

As far as WRKO as a station......what would you do if you owned/ran WRKO? How would you pay the bills?

If Howie were irrelevant you would have
seen Ent. say in 2007, "Well Howie has
chosen to go elsewhere and we thank
him for his service." But Howie was
important enough for Ent. to fight to
keep him and then pick up his option
in 2012. He made them money. Yes
they're choosing now not to renew him
but he was vital to them for years. And
yes things are changing now but he and
they worked well together for decades.

"I just think you're disgusting and stupid
and you shouldn"t be on the air."

"I see...and how often do you listen
to me, caller?"

"Every day."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom