• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WORA changing networks November 1

TVCOOL

Star Participant
Looks like Halloween weekend (October 31 - November 2) will be historic as WORA starts the weekend carrying Univision programming and end it carrying ABC programming. How they will go about announcing the switchover to the viewing public and would they be backlash against the station for dropping Univision for ABC? Outside of ABC programming and local news what programs can WORA-DT 5.1 plug in to fill out the programming day?. Where this leaves Univision now as of 11/1 have no channel to broadcast their programming on the west coast of Puerto Rico? Does Telecinco move Univision to 5.2 or 5.3 leaving 5.2 to be a independent station for local programming which most of the time is replayed multiple times or get either Me-TV or Bounce TV programming to plug into WORA 5.2.

What other stations would be next to carry network programming? WORO-DT 13.1 (mostly a catholic channel for the right price can be bought - maybe by Sinclair) and carry either programming from CBS, Fox ,My Network TV or the CW?.
Imagine WORO-DT 13.1 (CBS or Fox), WORO 13.2 (This TV or Me-TV)

Or WKAQ-DT decides to buy a sister station and move Telemundo programming to the sister channel and air NBC programming to replace Telemundo programming. WKAQ 2.1 / WOLE 12.1 (NBC), WKAQ 2.2 / WOLE 12.2 (Cozi or Antenna TV)

WSTE-7 would be perfect for either CBS or Fox programming due to the fact most of the time they're airing informercials to fill out their broadcast day. Imagine WSTE 7.1 (Fox or CBS), maybe add 2 or 3 sub-channels (7.2 Escape or Movies! and 7.3 Grit or GetTV)

And WAPA-DT and Puerto Rico TV (WIPR) will be the only 2 stations airing mostly local programs to fill out their broadcast day.

Looks like Halloween weekend (October 31 - November 2) will be historic as WORA starts the weekend carrying Univision programming and end it carrying ABC programming. How they will go about announcing the switchover to the viewing public and would they be backlash against the station for dropping Univision for ABC? Outside of ABC programming and local news what programs can WORA-DT 5.1 plug in to fill out the programming day?. Where this leaves Univision now as of 11/1 have no channel to broadcast their programming on the west coast of Puerto Rico? Does Telecinco move Univision to 5.2 or 5.3 leaving 5.2 to be a independent station for local programming which most of the time is replayed multiple times or get either Me-TV or Bounce TV programming to plug into WORA 5.2.

What other stations would be next to carry network programming? WORO-DT 13.1 (mostly a catholic channel for the right price can be bought - maybe by Sinclair) and carry either programming from CBS, Fox ,My Network TV or the CW?.
Imagine WORO-DT 13.1 (CBS or Fox), WORO 13.2 (This TV or Me-TV)

Or WKAQ-DT decides to buy a sister station and move Telemundo programming to the sister channel and air NBC programming to replace Telemundo programming. WKAQ 2.1 / WOLE 12.1 (NBC), WKAQ 2.2 / WOLE 12.2 (Cozi or Antenna TV)

WSTE-7 would be perfect for either CBS or Fox programming due to the fact most of the time they're airing informercials to fill out their broadcast day. Imagine WSTE 7.1 (Fox or CBS), maybe add 2 or 3 sub-channels (7.2 Escape or Movies! and 7.3 Grit or GetTV)

And WAPA-DT and Puerto Rico TV (WIPR) will be the only 2 stations airing mostly local programs to fill out their broadcast day.

Why are your talking about English language networks on Puerto Rican OTA TV? Most of the population is not bilingual, and much of the more bilingual population has moved to Orlando and other places on the mainland. I can't imagine the audience that wants to watch La Comay understanding the "humor" in "Modern Family".

The ABC press release says WORA covers "all of Puerto Rico" which of course is only about 40% true.

WORA has repeator stations in San Juan, Ponce and Fajardo and they put those stations for a reason, David.

WORA has repeator stations in San Juan, Ponce and Fajardo and they put those stations for a reason, David.

Those repeaters are very low power, and in a market with extremely low cable penetration (thus no access to most homes via "must carry") they do not cover "all of the market".

And, of course, the fact that the network is all English makes it mostly irrelevant to 80% of the population. It's been nearly 50 years since English was a required subject in the public schools, so the more bilingual generation is now all over 60.

And nearly 400,000 of the private school educated younger generation has moved off the Island, leaving very little market for all-English programming that has very little relevance to a Latino lifestyle.

In a study done about 8 years ago, only 29% of PR households had cable or satellite. While in those homes, half did watch some English language programming, it was mostly sports and not news, comedy or drama. In non-cable homes, English language programming was watched by 7% of the people. In total, only 21% watched any TV in English. And, as I mentioned, with the huge migration of the last 5 years, likely even less audience is left for English.

All past efforts at English language TV, going back to O. Roy Chalk's Channel 18 in the 60's, have failed. With fewer sales demo bilinguals than ever, and even fewer remaining continentals.... plus a disastrous economy... I don't see the market.

Last edited:
@David, Then why WORA which since 1955 has been alligned with spanish speaking networks since 1979 decide to join ABC and leave Univision? I mean if Telecinco (owners of said tv station) wanted to take the station in a new direction (i.e. stand on their two feet since 1979).

@David, Then why WORA which since 1955 has been alligned with spanish speaking networks since 1979 decide to join ABC and leave Univision? I mean if Telecinco (owners of said tv station) wanted to take the station in a new direction (i.e. stand on their two feet since 1979).

That's the same question I ask. With a population that is declining, an economy that ranks among the Hemisphere's worst and a decreasing percentage of English speakers, moving to a mainland English network seems perilous.

Don Alfredo, Q.E.P.D, always looked a the TV station as a money machine. Little work, nice guaranteed income.

To me, it sounds like someone is trying to reinvent the wheel.

Maybe WORA got a better offer from ABC than Univision to air its programming.

That would be odd, as PR is not bought as part of US national campaigns. In smaller markets, networks generally don't provide compensation to affiliates.

So, any news?

PRican In Texas (fomerly HoustonRadioGeek)

WOLE is rumored to take FOX as soon as next month.

Why do you keep posting this data about digital side channels when the main channel of WOLE continues to be networked with Univision out of San Juan? The English language stuff that is of very minimal interest is on the "other" pieces of the digital signal.

The WOLE website does not even mention the English language stuff... not even in the ¿Quienes somos? section.

WOLE is rumored to take FOX as soon as next month.

And you are probably the one who is starting the rumor, if your past posts here and elsewhere on this board are any indication.

Please spare us your little fantasies about who will affiliate with which network. In this case, you are up against someone with the industry contacts (David) to disprove pretty much everything you've said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom