• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Did 1210 WPHT-AM run a best of show in a live timeslot today?

J

Jul

I have a funny feeling that 1210 WPHT-AM aired a best of edition of the Dick Morris show today. If that's the case, then 1210 should just drop the talk format. You don't run a taped show in afternoon drive or do this type of thing during a weekday . Yeah I know that some people are celebrating a Jewish holiday right now, but 1210 needs to get someone to fill in on the local shows, if the regular show hosts are off, to avoid running a taped show , regardless of the holiday. If its thanksgiving, Christmas, New year's or the 4th of July, that's different. but if 1210 is doing what I think they are doing, then this station is really bad and should just drop the talk format already to save them the headache of running a talk station. They been getting away with stuff like this for a long time and its time that this stops, now. I doubt other talk radio stations across the USA are doing this same type of thing , running best of shows in a live timeslot, like afternoon drive or any part of the day because the regular show host is off. I love radio, but things like this drive me nuts. I want to hear to live radio, not taped.

Julius, you said you (1) were not going to listen to 1210 and (2) were not going to post stuff like this any more. If you weren't listening, how would you know? If they are so bad, why would you care?

You remind of the old joke: "How was you're dinner?"
"The food was bad and the portions were too small."

Julius is stuck in Walker's Cycle of Abuse when it comes to WPHT. They do things in a way that he doesn't like, so the "tensions" rise. Then they do some little thing like running a Dick Morris best-of, which deeply and personally wounds poor Julius; that's the "incident" step, at which point Julius decides to "boycott" the station and demands that we all do the same. Then there's the "reconciliation" step, at which point Julius decides that maybe WPHT has fixed things, if only just a little bit, so he tunes in again without informing anyone that his boycott is over (because why should the whole world know that he's returned to his abuser?), and after a period of "calm," the cycle starts all over again.

When he starts showing signs of battered person syndrome, things will REALLY get interesting.

FYI I haven't listened to 1210 in a while. It will remain that way until the drop the talk format. I just had a hunch that 1210 might be doing what they did Friday, because it was during a Jewish holiday and perhaps some of the regular show hosts like Morris were off, celebrating the holiday. My point is that 1210 could have got someone to fill in during the live time slot yesterday, instead of running a taped show in a live time slot. Major talk radio stations like KFI, WABC, WOR, WLS, don't do things like this on non major holidays. On those stations, The shows are usually live with a fill in host , if the regular host is off celebrating a Jewish holiday, or another religious holiday etc. the fact that 1210 elects to run taped shows in live time shots instead of getting someone to fill in during the week because of a holidays that everyone doesn't celebrate like those religious holidays like the Jewish ones, doesn't make sense and it shows me why 1210 is one of the worst radio stations in town. They been getting away with a lot of crap for years with their inane decisions, which is causing the decline of this radio station and its time that someone put a stop to it, because is saddening for a radio geek myself to see this station in ruin. I think in that sense, most of us can agree with that. If you don't like my posts, too bad. I stand by them.

Last edited:
So you made an accusation that you have no actual verification of on the basis of an assumption that you have no actual facts to back up. Yeah, that's wise.

Julius, if you don't like being called out for your bullcrap, too bad. Those of us calling you out on it stand by our actions, too.

So you made an accusation that you have no actual verification of on the basis of an assumption that you have no actual facts to back up. Yeah, that's wise.

Julius, if you don't like being called out for your bullcrap, too bad. Those of us calling you out on it stand by our actions, too.

Right! Let's make it clear for anyone who didn't struggle through Julius' convoluted prose. HE WAS NOT LISTENING. He made it all up.

Heck, we can all do that:

Did Terrance and Kenny fart on WPHT last Monday?

All I can say is, thank G-D the F'N Phillies are finally Kaput, now I can hear CTCAM at its usual time, 1AM, without going crazy tuning in far out of market signals or depending on the net for live feeds.

Did George Noory say he had been abducted by aliens and received an anal probe this morning?

Did WPHT run a Phillies game from 1980 instead of last night's game?

Can anyone confirm this? I have a hunch that WPHT is running promos that say they're "sorry for repeatedly offending that one guy on the Internet who always complains about everything we do." Just a funny feeling.

Julius, would you like it if people outside of your job demand a change in your business?

WPHT is a privately owned station, they will do whatever they think is best, not what you think is best.

I George Noory held a seance and the ghost of John Facenda took calls from listeners, including Julius from Philadelphia.

How can Julius consider Rosh Hashanah a "minor" holiday? I'll bet our Jewish friends don't think so. And, yes, they do run "best-of" shows on weekdays. I remember one time a few years ago when Dr. Laura was broadcasting her show from Philadelphia on a Friday in the late Fall. Her last hour was "best-of" because part of it would have been after local sunset, which would have been a violation of the Sabbath.

And let's not forget, these people take vacations and time off and stations fill with "best of" shows all the time.

And let's not forget, these people take vacations and time off and stations fill with "best of" shows all the time.
Didn't know that. I wished I didn't shoot my mouth off Fred. Sorry. But a station that's struggling with its image like WPHT, doesn't need to do that. Any other station, its up to them.

So you would literally let every other station in the world get away with it, but because it's WPHT and you have an obsession with them, they're not allowed to do it because you, as armchair PD, have declared it so?

Julius, you are a fantastic model of narcissistic obdurateness.

Didn't know that. I wished I didn't shoot my mouth off Fred. Sorry. But a station that's struggling with its image like WPHT, doesn't need to do that. Any other station, its up to them.

Julius, a station, a syndication company, a production company or even a host may decide that a rerun is better than a sub. They may be right or wrong about it. They may have good reasons or bad ones. Some subs are pretty bad. Some subs were pretty good and launched their own shows based on having been a sub - sometimes in competition with the original show.

Reruns or subs is a valid point for discussion. What's not valid is to make a complaint about it based on pure speculation. Based on what you posted, you hadn't listened. You didn't know what they were doing. Yet you made a complaint.

Besides, lots of stations are struggling with their images. Look around. AM radio is dying. Right-wing talk is dying. Besides, what are you complaining about? You haven't been alive long enough to remember WCAU or to remember when 1210 by whatever name wasn't struggling with its image. CBS has been screwing up this station since 1976 and every time they have made some major change, as you keep demanding, they have made things worse.

My advice, do one last 1210 post. Treat it as an obit or even a eulogy for a dead friend. Hold an online wake. Say why you loved 1210. Then let it rest in peace. Give yourself some closure.

And don't brush off other people's holidays as "minor." At least not without learning about their customs first. Hint: There is a reason this period is called "the HIGH holy days." Hall of fame first baseman sat out a World Series game. He thought the high holiday were major enough. So did pitcher Sandy Kofax.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom